Building Homer (2005 TJ Build Thread)

I was thinking of a centeralized single port between each tire. This is a clever approach to that to keep it off the frame (and out of rock damage).

Of course if I wheel in the winter with the wife and/or kids when they're young (and the wife is there to yell at me about keeping the kids warm) I'll be instructed to keep the cabin warm during the air up.... lol

I have one on each bumper but it's a PITA to figure out the "right" spot for them and out of the rock & mud. I don't think there is one great spot for them. In the cab the door has to be open, but you can close the doors 90%? Anytime they are out in the weather you might have issues. I had to change out my front quick disconnect twice in the 8 years my Jeep was driving before.

I have one on each bumper but it's a PITA to figure out the "right" spot for them and out of the rock & mud. I don't think there is one great spot for them. In the cab the door has to be open, but you can close the doors 90%? Anytime they are out in the weather you might have issues. I had to change out my front quick disconnect twice in the 8 years my Jeep was driving before.

"Mostly" kidding on the cab front... but I see my future in the crystal ball doing that.

I can appreciate the external disconnects concern with mud, dirt, & grit. Just starting my research - I'm trying to balance my idea of 'that's cool to have disconnect around on your Jeep' vs practicality. Try to stay on the practical side.

"Mostly" kidding on the cab front... but I see my future in the crystal ball doing that.

I can appreciate the external disconnects concern with mud, dirt, & grit. Just starting my research - I'm trying to balance my idea of 'that's cool to have disconnect around on your Jeep' vs practicality. Try to stay on the practical side.

I am still trying to figure it all out. WItt's End makes some nice nipple plugs for the disconnects. If you decide to mount them on the outside I suggest these. I've got a pair for mine.

https://absolute-wits-end.com/quick-connect-air-coupler-pacifier/

Reactions: JMT and FarFire70
I am still trying to figure it all out. WItt's End makes some nice nipple plugs for the disconnects. If you decide to mount them on the outside I suggest these. I've got a pair for mine.

https://absolute-wits-end.com/quick-connect-air-coupler-pacifier/

I saw those referenced in my very early research today (seriously - bought OBA pumps on a whim....). I like the simplicity. Certainly wouldn't keep a connector without some sort of cover or plug.

Reactions: Wildman
I had been looking at OBA ideas. You'll see above references to maximize space on the driver-side fender, especially the 'tray' there. I figure that was a best option if I went electric.

Looking at cost, I convinced myself electric would meet my needs over York (I really want a York - but cost makes that not the choice of today).

So I was eyeing different VIAIR options but looking at ARB as a potential. VIAIR was the leading contender.

Then @Apparition posted for Black Friday the ARB double compressor system for $525 on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050DI9YQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20) compared to the usual $600+ price point....

So..... purchased and arrived. ;)

View attachment 480480

Need to unbox and test it out to be sure it works - the Amazon box was huge so it certainly had a wild ride to get here.

I have one of the most powerful 100% duty cycle Viair units in my rig. It does well. But my neighbor has the Double ARB in his rig - and I am astounded with how fast it is.

Good choice. I’m always considering finding some space and swapping over to the big ARB.

I'm leaning towards the air being near the tailgate. Possibly near the roll bar, inside but easily accessible with top on or off. The hose will be back there so I'd like to be able to grab the hose and plug it in all in one spot then go straight to the tires.

I currently have to grab the hose out of the back, walk to the front, open the hood then I can connect for air.

When I did my air tank testing, I found that the best time savings was eliminating unnecessary steps.

Reactions: JMT
I have one of the most powerful 100% duty cycle Viair units in my rig. It does well. But my neighbor has the Double ARB in his rig - and I am astounded with how fast it is.

Good choice. I’m always considering finding some space and swapping over to the big ARB.

That's good to know it was a good pick. Really did just jump on the deal but now I have a project to research how I want to implement it... So that's a win-win-win (deal - good product - something to occupy my time researching in the evenings).

Reactions: Wildman and Rickyd
I'm leaning towards the air being near the tailgate. Possibly near the roll bar, inside but easily accessible with top on or off. The hose will be back there so I'd like to be able to grab the hose and plug it in all in one spot then go straight to the tires.

I currently have to grab the hose out of the back, walk to the front, open the hood then I can connect for air.

When I did my air tank testing, I found that the best time savings was eliminating unnecessary steps.

I'm thinking of a connector somewhere mid-Jeep with a homemade dual-connector chuck to each tire on one side with a pair of these clip-on chucks (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BUETYNI/?tag=wranglerorg-20) to hook up to the tires.

Will likely want a set of quick connects front and rear too. Especially to help others at the end of the day air up.

The Morflate locking air chucks do a pretty impressive job of grabbing the stem and not leaking
https://morrflate.com/shop/morrflate-accessories/morrflate-locking-collar-air-chucks/
1702093305231.png

I'm thinking of a connector somewhere mid-Jeep with a homemade dual-connector chuck to each tire on one side with a pair of these clip-on chucks (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BUETYNI/?tag=wranglerorg-20) to hook up to the tires.

Will likely want a set of quick connects front and rear too. Especially to help others at the end of the day air up.

I first had a Viair system with tank and it ran my lockers. Then I switched to the dual ARB in that setup.

Eventually removed the tank as it wasn’t making a huge difference in speed.

Then I added the separate ARB locker pump as I was getting tired of hearing the big ARB run for lockers. (Did have a leaky locker, so it ran a lot)

The thing I’m pushing towards is the fewest connections as possible. The locker pump has the solenoids mounted directly to it and then lines to the lockers. Minimal chance for leaks and easy to troubleshoot.

My tire pump only has one coupler on it to simplify it also. Simple direct systems with minimal parts and minimal failure points.

I first had a Viair system with tank and it ran my lockers. Then I switched to the dual ARB in that setup.

Eventually removed the tank as it wasn’t making a huge difference in speed.

Then I added the separate ARB locker pump as I was getting tired of hearing the big ARB run for lockers. (Did have a leaky locker, so it ran a lot)

The thing I’m pushing towards is the fewest connections as possible. The locker pump has the solenoids mounted directly to it and then lines to the lockers. Minimal chance for leaks and easy to troubleshoot.

My tire pump only has one coupler on it to simplify it also. Simple direct systems with minimal parts and minimal failure points.

I run a small 1/2 gallon tank on mine. It’s just enough to keep the compressor from cycling too much. I can engage and disengage the front and rear about 6 or 7 times before the compressor cycles - and then it only runs a few seconds to fill the little tank.

I run a small 1/2 gallon tank on mine. It’s just enough to keep the compressor from cycling too much. I can engage and disengage the front and rear about 6 or 7 times before the compressor cycles - and then it only runs a few seconds to fill the little tank.

the specific locker pump barely runs and is significantly quieter than the big compressor.

The dual ARB also has a fan that runs on it when it’s powered. The CKSA12 doesn’t need one.

Currently on sale at summit if anyone needs one.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...fqu4ALIqCwMQsfZrYuw_2NR0IKtdAQBhoCphoQAvD_BwE

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Reactions: FarFire70
While I was out front hanging the Christmas lights yesterday, the brown truck Santa stopped off and gave me a little gift.

PXL_20231210_205906502.jpg

UCF skid has arrived. Will chamfer the edges before installing, per others' experiences.

I was back and forth but I I'm going to pick up new straps for piece of mind. I welded new bolts (cut off the head) on the old straps when I reinstalled the tank in the spring because the originals were rusted and snapped.

Likely won't get much time with Homer this month (Christmas & behind on lots of home maintenance....). I did take off the week of Christmas, so I'll try to sneak off some time then.

—-

I did get to do some Jeep work today at least - changed oil on the wife's WK2 that I've been daily driving since the ignition broke.

I would have tackled the ignition repair but we're getting slammed with rain and I (obviously) can't pull the TJ in the garage. May try a day after work to at least have him driving again.

As I planned, today's work schedule worked out for me to get the last few minutes of sunlight to work on the Jeep in the driveway.

Once you've taken ignition apart once, it's a really easy install/re-install.

After buttoning it up, it started right up! (y)

PXL_20231214_215242964.jpg

Per advice here on WTJF, I'm keeping the OEM ignition switch in the Jeep as a 'get home' spare if this happens again - that way it's just a disconnect of the electrical and not a disassembly job to get home.

—-

Yup - I believe we had a problem in the column ignition region....

PXL_20231214_222405418.jpg

Now I'm not sure how much more time I'll squeeze out before Christmas to work on him. But glad he starts and I can drive him to work next week.

Since I won't have wrench time - I have research time. I can't just sit and watch TV — so when we're watching Christmas movies or TV, I'm always reading or working other things on the PC (I still find all the continuity errors in the movies/tv which the wife hates... lol).

So now that I picked up pinning/terminal tools and learned how to install terminals in the connectors for the turn signals, I'm all about using proper watertight terminals vs spade/loop crimp connectors.

With that, I purchased the following earlier in this build (still on the shelf) to clean up the wiring once he was drivable again.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HDYQMB5/?tag=wranglerorg-20
1702611158646.png

I'm thinking this isn't what I want to use in order to avoid future potential corrosion issues creeping in...

I'm building a list of circuits. But looking around the forum, I've seen this used a few times.

https://www.waytekwire.com/product/eaton-s-bussmann-series-15401-2-0-1-0a-rfrm
0f0e80cba670793_lg.jpg

56acb75af193045_lg.jpg

I think this is way more circuits than I'll need - but I like the design, if in a smaller size.

So, I'm building my list of circuits. So far, here's my list:

1702611512039.png

I'm just starting to build it, so lots more to add.

The hardtop ones were existing in the OEM add-on wiring kit I installed once I purchased a hardtop. So, if I have the space, I'll move them from the footwell, but they aren't a priority (if space is a concern).

Headlights are also up in the air. I planned to install a headlight kit because I have higher wattage bulbs —- but they are non-LED versions that I never got around to installing and I think I'm wasting time with a headlight wiring (but still TBD if I want to use the on-hand stuff I have).

More research to come. Welcome any thoughts on any of this. Likely a early spring project at this project.

Reactions: JMT
I'm just starting to build it, so lots more to add.

Maybe not 'lots' but this is what I came up with off the top of my head. ;)

Note that there is no light bar listed. I firmly believe my future light bar(s) should come straight off the battery! Brightest beam that way. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The more I researched, I decided I wanted to add to the existing PDC (or try to). My local junkyards are 'we-pick-it' or horribly overpriced so I've been working with eBay more recent - which is sad because I loved the junkyard experience when I was younger and hope that's available for my boys when they get old enough.

So looking at options, I'd be in at least $120 if I went with the large Bussmann. Saw this 05 TJ PDC on eBay for $75, so I pulled the trigger and it's on it's way to me.

1702952365626.png

I planned to try to the 12 fuse holder portion from the eBay one and drop it at the end of my current PDC. I was also thinking to move/consolidate some of my relays, since I don't use the PDC efficient.

PA310031.JPG

But now I'm leaning more towards adding the eBay PDC as a full unit into the TJ and re-wire it for relays and straight fuses. I'll re-use the high amperage key-on relay and breaker I planned for the other fuse block I have on-hand.

Had a great Christmas for the twins! Unfortunately we repeated our new family tradition with the boys - sickness at Christmas....

Last year Jacob went into the hospital on 26 Dec for 11 days — After further surgery in early 2023, the issue is resolved and he is healthy.

Flash forward to this year's Christmas and Mama FarFire is terrified we'll repeat a sick Christmas.....

—-

And she's right! 😡🤣

I got sick the week before Christmas. We then made it through Christmas healthy, and then Caleb (youngest twin) started showing symptoms of a cold Tuesday... Then I started feeling a cold again late Tues and was worn down until today. And now Jacob (Oldest twin - by 1 min... lol) has cold symptoms...

So NEW FAMILY TRADITION 🙌 🙌 🙌

But the cold symptoms were worst for me than the boys - so we did get some Jeep time today... 😉

• Sad
Reactions: JMT and Wildman