Building Homer (2005 TJ Build Thread)

Had a great Christmas for the twins! Unfortunately we repeated our new family tradition with the boys - sickness at Christmas....

Last year Jacob went into the hospital on 26 Dec for 11 days — After further surgery in early 2023, the issue is resolved and he is healthy.

Flash forward to this year's Christmas and Mama FarFire is terrified we'll repeat a sick Christmas.....

—-

And she's right! 😡🤣

I got sick the week before Christmas. We then made it through Christmas healthy, and then Caleb (youngest twin) started showing symptoms of a cold Tuesday... Then I started feeling a cold again late Tues and was worn down until today. And now Jacob (Oldest twin - by 1 min... lol) has cold symptoms...

So NEW FAMILY TRADITION 🙌 🙌 🙌

But the cold symptoms were worst for me than the boys - so we did get some Jeep time today... 😉

Hope you all get to feeling better soon. And really hope there is NO repeats of last years visits to the hospital.

Reactions: FarFire70
Feeling better today, I had a few minutes to finish a few Jeep items before a day with the family.

Hit the passenger speaker cover with the heat gun.

These pics look a little bleached due to sunlight coming in from the garage door, but big improvement from the heat treatment.

Before (you can see the white striping that really bothered me):

PXL_20231229_144954540.jpg

After:

PXL_20231229_150051473.jpg

Installed both driver & passenger speaker covers so the Jeep looks less like a junkyard pick-over... Here's the driver cover. Could use another round with the heat gun down the road but a huge improvement in appearance!

PXL_20231229_200837235.jpg

After that I put in the Super Bright LED interior lights (under dash & speaker pod).

Under dash:
PXL_20231229_151456339.jpg

Pods:
PXL_20231229_151825048.jpg

I don't have a dark shot of before & after but I can say that you see the light from these bulbs in daylights (which you don't see with OEM).

I still need to figure out the light covers from the pods. They don't 'click in' as tight as when I removed them. This one fell out when I threw the rear window on the top of the softtop...

PXL_20231229_151630284.jpg

Reactions: Wildman
Best part of the day:

Finally took the family for a ride in the Jeep!!

My wife hasn't ridden in Homer since I lifted him. The Twins haven't ridden in him yet at all.

So we changed that today. Loaded up the boys and we took a ride in the Family Jeep!

PXL_20231229_200336979.jpg

The boys had huge smiles getting in and out of the Jeep - no place to mount mirrors so I'm assuming they enjoyed the ride; they were surprisingly quiet throughout. 😄

It was GREAT! So excited getting the boys in their first real Jeep!

Wife drive a 2020 Grand Cherokee - so need to qualify a 'real' Jeep... lol

The only way to get them in and out easily was to load them from the rear so I climbed in the 'trunk' and my wife handed me each carrier with a kid already strapped in, and I clicked them in the base installed to the rear seat.

We went to a restaurant and food store so they were load/unloaded about 6 times through the trunk (still funny to think I'm loading my kids into their seats through the 'trunk'... lol) and I'm sure any spectators couldn't get it...

It's a Jeep thing - You wouldn't understand.

It was a GREAT day!

Best part of the day:

My wife hasn't ridden in Homer since I lifted him. The Twins haven't ridden in him yet at all.

So we changed that today. Loaded up the boys and we took a ride in the Family Jeep!

View attachment 486525

The boys had huge smiles getting in and out of the Jeep - no place to mount mirrors so I'm assuming they enjoyed the ride; they were surprisingly quiet throughout. 😄

The only way to get them in and out easily was to load them from the rear so I climbed in the 'trunk' and my wife handed me each carrier with a kid already strapped in, and I clicked them in the base installed to the rear seat.

We went to a restaurant and food store so they were load/unloaded about 6 times through the trunk (still funny to think I'm loading my kids into their seats through the 'trunk'... lol) and I'm sure any spectators couldn't get it...

It was a GREAT day!

I should also mention that my wife (Miss FarFire) is only 5' so she kept saying she was embarrassed getting into the Jeep throughout the trip today. I was too busy closing up the top and tailgate to see her technique.

At the final stop, I was quick with the back of the Jeep and swung around to see she had a great technique to double hand the handle from the rollbar (one of those generic velcro jobbers that wraps solidly on the rollbar) and jump/pull herself in. I was beyond impressed. Got me a good one! 👍

Reactions: JMT and Wildman
Best part of the day:

View attachment 486525

It was a GREAT day!

😍 little feet sticking up.

We had 3 children.

I blinked and they grew up.

Not preaching, but enjoy what you have, every day. You have some really fun times ahead.

I like your build.

They will likely not remember the color of whatever minivan or whatever you have later in life probably....the jeep will be a good memory forever. Jeeps do that.

Best part of the day:

View attachment 486525

It was a GREAT day!

My daughter disliked ridding in the backseat when she was little and had to face rearward when I had the top off. My guess is that it was the wind blowing around the back of the Jeep but don't know for sure.

Since it was just her & me after I got custody of her I took the back seat out of the Jeep so I could have her in the front seat. She's 4 in the picture and this was her normal state when in the Jeep. She'd sleep thru me bouncing around and bumping from rock to rock..

1703910528250.png

She's 3 in this picture. This was about the age when I first really started taking her on serious wheeling trips.

1703910677317.png

EDIT: And BTW she is 21 now so I'll agree with Andy. They grow up so fast, it seem like it was just yesterday that she was starting kindergarten.

Last edited:
😍 little feet sticking up.

We had 3 children.

I blinked and they grew up.

Not preaching, but enjoy what you have, every day. You have some really fun times ahead.

I like your build.

They will likely not remember the color of whatever minivan or whatever you have later in life probably....the jeep will be a good memory forever. Jeeps do that.

Thanks @AndyG! We're so blessed with these twins. It was a journey. This moment in the Jeep has been building for me personally and my heart did a Grinch moment — Grew 2-3 sizes larger seeing them in their future Jeep!

They've had a tough journey being preemies - You'd never know it with how they've grown. Their growth and development is so fast, I can't even believe month-to-month. They're at the perfect time to enjoy the day-to-day!

Such a fun age! Everyone says it - and we're trying everything we can to embrace it!

Reactions: Wildman and AndyG
Thanks. Trying to maximize short windows of an hour or two here and here. Wife has been beyond understanding. Always being sure there's time to spend with the twins.

That's a big compliment from you. I've come across a few rare people in my professional career who find 25 hours in every day - you seem to find those 25 hours to maximize time in your personal/hobby time based on your build/threads. (y)

I’m a long time student of personal performance.

People cry and whine about how unfair life is, and waste time and money unconsciously.

Small bursts of work add up.

Bearing down and killing it gets it done as well.

Grinding it out - even when its no fun, will do it.

It is shocking how bad the average construction worker normally is.

One of the reasons that people suck so bad at work is because they can’t even reach average, and excellent is little farther down the road past average.

Do you see the orientation of this truck? This worker is taking 25-30 extra steps to get tools that really should be in the trailer he has to start with.

5C360553-0D77-4579-8DA0-A117181ED92B.jpeg

• Face Palm
My daughter disliked ridding in the backseat when she was little and had to face rearward when I had the top off. My guess is that it was the wind blowing around the back of the Jeep but don't know for sure.

Since it was just her & me after I got custody of her I took the back seat out of the Jeep so I could have her in the front seat. She's 4 in the picture and this was her normal state when in the Jeep. She'd sleep thru me bouncing around and bumping from rock to rock..

View attachment 486541

She's 3 in this picture. This was about the age when I first really started taking her on serious wheeling trips.

View attachment 486542

I LOVE IT!

The Jeep is not a smooth ride and the twins quiet demeanor during today's ride makes me think they can handle some more 'bounce' (aka Off-road).

I can't wait to get out on the trails with the boys - but I suspect the wife will veto for at least another year... The knowledge of the 'Jeep wind whip' is a good heads up as I had not considered that effect when hoping for spring drives... lol

Glad to see your rides with your daughter paid off, since you've got her a rig in the wings. I'm hoping my Millennial, Gen Z, etc. (I have no idea what Gen they fall into....) don't forget the fun of a good Jeep. And that's my job to instill much like you did... 😉

I’m a long time student of personal performance.

People cry and whine about how unfair life is, and waste time and money unconsciously.

Small bursts of work add up.

Bearing down and killing it gets it done as well.

Grinding it out - even when its no fun, will do it.

It is shocking how bad the average construction worker normally is.

One of the reasons that people suck so bad at work is because they can’t even reach average, and excellent is little farther down the road past average.

Do you see the orientation of this truck? This worker is taking 25-30 extra steps to get tools that really should be in the trailer he has to start with.

View attachment 486545

I always know when my wife last drove one of our cars...

Even if you're bad at backing in - just take your time even if its a couple tries. This helps the next trip — the rear doors open to let in from the garage area if you back in (kids), the trunk is there and open for the diaper bag.... ugh.....

Oh no, you're point is well taken and you did not hit a pet peeve...

I LOVE IT!

The Jeep is not a smooth ride and the twins quiet demeanor during today's ride makes me think they can handle some more 'bounce' (aka Off-road).

I can't wait to get out on the trails with the boys - but I suspect the wife will veto for at least another year... The knowledge of the 'Jeep wind whip' is a good heads up as I had not considered that effect when hoping for spring drives... lol

Glad to see your rides with your daughter paid off, since you've got her a rig in the wings. I'm hoping my Millennial, Gen Z, etc. (I have no idea what Gen they fall into....) don't forget the fun of a good Jeep. And that's my job to instill much like you did... 😉

When she was little (2-3 years old) I had those added padding they sold for car seats that helped to brace her head. I don't know if they still sell things like that. I started her off with short days out on the trail and by the time she was 4 we'd do all day long trail runs. She grew up Jeeping with dad and is really excited about mine almost being done so we can get out and hit some trails again.
Then once I've got hers fixed I'll be able to get her up on the trails driving and start teaching her the skills needed to go wheeling.

Make sure to take lots of breaks and let them out to play when starting out.

1703912318785.png

We were working on a broken rig when my daughter found this chipmunk. We think it must of been sick since she was able to 1) Catch it 2) Didn't bite her.
She's 5 in this picture. Got to LOVE the dirty face and big smile...

1703912549543.png

Since you've got twins you're gunna be like @JMT and have to get both of them each their own rigs. My daughter has told me she's disown me if I was to ever think about getting rid of my TJ since she'd grown up in it and is very clear that it'll be hers when I pass away.

When she was little (2-3 years old) I had those added padding they sold for car seats that helped to brace her head. I don't know if they still sell things like that. I started her off with short days out on the trail and by the time she was 4 we'd do all day long trail runs. She grew up Jeeping with dad and is really excited about mine almost being done so we can get out and hit some trails again.
Then once I've got hers fixed I'll be able to get her up on the trails driving and start teaching her the skills needed to go wheeling.

Make sure to take lots of breaks and let them out to play when starting out.

View attachment 486556

We were working on a broken rig when my daughter found this chipmunk. We think it must of been sick since she was able to 1) Catch it 2) Didn't bite her.
She's 5 in this picture. Got to LOVE the dirty face and big smile...

View attachment 486558

Since you've got twins you're gunna be like @JMT and have to get both of them each their own rigs. My daughter has told me she's disown me if I was to ever think about getting rid of my TJ since she'd grown up in it and is very clear that it'll be hers when I pass away.

Great memories there! Appreciate the share. Looking forward to creating those with my boys.

I've been seeing what @JMT's boys have been up to and can see he's raised them right by the way of the TJ. :)

I worry what the market will look like for TJs when they get close to driving age. Definitely would love to have one for each them — Likewise, they can fight over who gets my Jeeps, but it'll be over my dead body because they aren't getting it while I'm breathing. lol

Toying with the idea to start saving and pick up some serviceable Jeep when their in their late preteen/early teen years that they can wrench on and still have time to take from 'affordable but needs work' to reliable before they can then legally drive it....

Time and financials will have more in that decision than I will. :ROFLMAO:

Great memories there! Appreciate the share. Looking forward to creating those with my boys.

I've been seeing what @JMT's boys have been up to and can see he's raised them right by the way of the TJ. :)

I worry what the market will look like for TJs when they get close to driving age. Definitely would love to have one for each them — Likewise, they can fight over who gets my Jeeps, but it'll be over my dead body because they aren't getting it while I'm breathing. lol

Toying with the idea to start saving and pick up some serviceable Jeep when their in their late preteen/early teen years that they can wrench on and still have time to take from 'affordable but needs work' to reliable before they can then legally drive it....

Time and financials will have more in that decision than I will. :ROFLMAO:

Those times with my daughter and Jeepin are some found memories. And I'm sure you'll make some yourself in the future.

Think about where CJ's are now and that will be where TJ's might be as the boys hit 10-12 years old. If it was me I'd find a project rig for the 3 of you to work on together. That would give you a chance to see if they are interested. Then go from there.

Not going to have a lot of garage time this month with a lot of family activities going on in Jan. So I'm trying to find windows of opportunity.

Sunday I was spending time with the wife and the boys watching the final regular season NFL games. Don't talk to me about the Eagles game... they're going no where in these playoffs...

Decided to grab the OEM Instatrunk and clean it up in the family room while were were relaxing.

Before (looks good but really needed a cleaning):

PXL_20240107_200745746.jpg

PXL_20240107_200749072.jpg

Process:
  • Ran over the entire surface with a Magic Eraser
  • Applied Turtle Wax Ice Spray on a microfiber cloth along with a detailing brush
  • Wipe off the excess Ice with a microfiber cloth
I found Turtle Wax Ice years ago and really like it because it leaves a nice OEM-like matte finish on the interior.

71JeQs28Z2L.jpg

Here is the interior of the trunk with the lid having been treated with the Turtle Wax Ice, and the base untreated (after the Magic Eraser).

PXL_20240107_203404756.jpg

And here is both lid & base treated (and dried a few hours before this pic so it's not still 'wet'):

PXL_20240108_001934767.jpg

Finished product exterior:

PXL_20240108_001950043.jpg

Seal is in good shape but I'll likely hit it with silicone spray before re-installing it.

PXL_20240108_001950043.jpg

Going to try to do these smaller interior part deep cleans while inside. Can still be with the family and the garage is starting to get winter cold...

May work on the glovebox next.

Next up was to wrap up the air intake.

With all the part modifications complete. Everything could just be installed.

View attachment 473537

View attachment 473538

Went together like I was hoping. Still have to think up some more updates to it, though.

The weight of the filter box makes it want to drag down and it pulls the tube/coupler down onto the throttle cables mounted to the valve cover.

View attachment 473539

I figure over time that metal clasp could wear into the cables - and you know it would cause an issue at the worst possible time.

A simple Install of a sacrifice rubber mat would be my first plan. But, I'm also going to see if the weight of the air box wants to pull it out of the snorkel. If it does, I may need a bracket or two to hold the entire assembly in place.

Ran out of time to start to look around for potential mounting points that would be easy to grow from for a bracket. I did see someone install a small tube into the cable bracket this is resting on - but they had a metal tube to weld to from a cold air intake.

——-

Engine bay in July when I wrapped the fender install:

View attachment 473544

View attachment 473545

View attachment 473546

View attachment 473547

And now:

View attachment 473548

Damn that engine bay looks so much better!

Why 2 throttle cables? My 2006 with 6 speed and 6 cylinder only has 1.

Why 2 throttle cables? My 2006 with 6 speed and 6 cylinder only has 1.

Do you have cruise control?

Exactly - Throttle (pedal) cable, Cruise Control Cable, and there's also a hand throttle cable that I throw on the attachment 'bulb' under one of the cables (cruise control, I think).

Today is Homer's 'Birthday' as I bought him on March 17, 2007.

So, to celebrate his birthday (and with my wife's blessing :)), I ordered:

Screenshot 2024-03-17 224115.png

This will replace the Skid Row engine skid my wife bought me as one of my first upgrades in Dec 2007.

Skid Row skid has been good to me but I'm ready for the upgrade.

I'm looking forward to getting rid of the Skid Row use of the lower control bolt as it require re-torquing the control arm bolt any time I'd drop the skid plate. That may not seem like much but it's a pain.

Heck, one time offroading, my buddy spotting me noticed this:

100_0936.JPG

I had forgotten to pull the wrench after torquing the skid plate from the last time I removed/reinstalled it.... It was wedged in tight, many miles with this here. lol

Plus, needing to use a jack vs holding it myself on (re)install will be amazing! Can't wait!

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and Rickyd