Bump steer but why?

Is it ok to use lock tight on the jam nut if it loosens again? I don’t imaging a need to adjust it again…
Have someone hold a prybar inbetween the top of the JJ barrel and bottom of the frame mount to hold that square to the bolt. Stick a 24" adjustable wrench on the jam nut and hop on it, it won't come loose after that.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
My JKS Jam Nut hasn't budged, but then again I also took my 24" pipe wrench to it plus my jack handle extension.

I don't expect it to move. :ROFLMAO:

Have someone hold a prybar inbetween the top of the JJ barrel and bottom of the frame mount to hold that square to the bolt. Stick a 24" adjustable wrench on the jam nut and hop on it, it won't come loose after that.

Got the TB lock nut tight with big pipe wrench, but issue stayed.

Figured after that drive I’d finally recenter the steering wheel… this either minimized it, or cured it… the wheel wasn’t that far off, but took one complete turn of the adjuster sleeve. I’ll drive again tomorrow, so will see…

Fwiw, I stomped on the brakes as I approached my driveway tonight and though the jeep itself didn't pull, the steering wheel did, a bit, to the right. Not intense enough for me to ever have noticed if I wasn't looking for it.

Cant produce anything under acceleration though. And as hard as I braked, the 4.0 wouldn't produce a matching level of acceleration.

Got the TB lock nut tight with big pipe wrench, but issue stayed.

Figured after that drive I’d finally recenter the steering wheel… this either minimized it, or cured it… the wheel wasn’t that far off, but took one complete turn of the adjuster sleeve. I’ll drive again tomorrow, so will see…

When the steering gear is off center, the valve is open to provide hydraulic assist. That can easily cause a pull.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
When the steering gear is off center, the valve is open to provide hydraulic assist. That can easily cause a pull.

Now, that makes sense… the push/pull that comes on with the compression/extension is easier if the assist is active. I’ll confirm completely tomorrow if it is solved.

Next will be on to the daunting quest to spend a weekend disassembling the dash to replace the popped heater core…

This just struck a small "AHA" moment in my brain.
I don't have steering issues, but I am interested in what you said, because I've never thought to consider steering gear centering when looking at issues like this.

I don't mind a quick 2 sentence explanation for learning purposes.
So let me ask, what is the proper way to find 'center' of the gear.
Is that something to be handled before or after drag link installation?

In my mind, centering the gear/wheel via the drag link adjustment isn't going to find 'center'.
I would assume there are centering marks on the Steering box shaft, as well as Pitman Arm?

I don't have steering issues, but I am interested in what you said, because I've never thought to consider steering gear centering when looking at issues like this.

In my mind, centering the gear/wheel via the drag link adjustment isn't going to find 'center'.
I would assume there are centering marks on the Steering box shaft, as well as Pitman Arm?

I’m glad you are asking this because this very thought crossed my mind last time I did an alignment. I’ve always just got the wheels “straight” and adjusted the toe in. Never had an issue but I would like to know what wiser minds have to say. Especially regarding this hydraulic assist valve.

From the input shaft on the gear all the way up to the steering wheel, all the connections are keyed. The only way to center the steering gear is to center the steering wheel the front axle centered.

You can find the center of the steering gear if it is unknown by turning the input shaft until it stops, turn it back to the other stop while counting the turns, divide those in half, turn it back the other way that amount, that's center.

Last edited:
The drive in to work today was like the TJ had lane keep assist on the flat/straight roads... it tracked straight and solid, but not this well.

Reactions: JMT
From the input shaft on the gear all the way up to the steering wheel, all the connections are keyed. The only way to center the steering gear is to center the steering wheel the front axle centered.

You can find the center of the steering gear if it is unknown by turning the input shaft until it stops, turn it back to the other stop while counting the turns, divide those in half, turn it back the other way that amount, that's center.

Okay, that's simple enough.

I was overthinking/overcomplicating the process entirely.