Bump Stop & Shock Confusion

c_bronson

While doing some research on setting bump stops and choosing shocks, I think I over confused myself. I have every intention of cycling my suspension in order to do things right but pardon my ignorance in the following question.

I am trying to get a list of everything to order so I can do the whole 4" lift at once. What I think I'm hearing in all these threads is that you have to have certain measurements before ordering but how do I get those measurements without the new setup in place.

For instance:
1. How do I measure for a new driveshaft for when I do an SYE until I have the lift installed? Or do I just wait to order that and not be able to drive the Jeep until it arrives?

2. How do I order shocks that are the right length until I have the new lift components installed? Or is this one of those measurements that are the same no matter the lift? i.e. your current setup translates to the new setup?

I am installing the 4" Currie lift and already have the 1.25" body lift. I plan to go with Rancho RS9000XL shocks but Idk what length to order. I hate posting something that has probably been answered but I've dug through the internet for hours it feels like and I'm just confusing myself on when to take the needed measurements (i.e. before or after the new setup). Trying to do things right the first time and I apologize to those who have probably answered this a thousand times.

For instance:
1. How do I measure for a new driveshaft for when I do an SYE

2. How do I order shocks that are the right length until I have the new lift components installed?

I am installing the 4" Currie lift and already have the 1.25" body lift. I plan to go with Rancho RS9000XL shocks but Idk what length to order.

1. Install the sye and measure for your dc shaft after the lift. You can still drive in 4hi, the front driveshaft will be fine at 4".

2. Install the lift, cycle the suspension with the coils removed and buy shocks based on the collapsed length (full bump when cycling your axle). Also a good time in this moment set your bumpstop length.

3. See above. Buy shocks based on your collapsed length (full bump). Also, the go-to rancho is the rs5000x series

1. Install the sye and measure for your dc shaft after the lift. You can still drive in 4hi, the front driveshaft will be fine at 4".

2. Install the lift, cycle the suspension with the coils removed and buy shocks based on the collapsed length (full bump when cycling your axle). Also a good time in this moment set your bumpstop length.

3. See above. Buy shocks based on your collapsed length (full bump). Also, the go-to rancho is the rs5000x series
Thank you for your help! I understand. Couple questions:
1. Is bump stop soley based on what prevents rubbing and tire fitment or is there some measurement I need to aim for?
2. Is there a reason the RS5000x is preferred over the 9000?

You'll want to check a few things once you have the springs/shocks removed.
1. Set the axles at full bump to see where your tires are the limiter (rubbing on inner fenders/sway bar, etc.). Check to make sure the track bars aren't hitting the front diff cover and rear fuel tank skid. Once you have that, you can decide how much added bump stop you will need to prevent these things from hitting each other. Finally, you can then measure your compressed length and extended length to order the proper length shocks. You don't want your shocks to bottom out and be the bump stop. I have no experience with the 9000XL shocks, but I think their shock lengths are less than desirable, and the shock bodies are bigger. I think @Jerry Bransford has some experience with them and might chime in for you.
Try to obtain a 50/50 shock travel bias for the best performance.

Reactions: c_bronson
When choosing shocks, pay attention to travel length and body size of the shock, don't simply go of "for 2.5 lift" description.
I made that mistake with purchasing Foxes for "2.5 to 3.5 lift" combo. After i started unfucking all the previous owner fuckups i had to drop an inch in lift height, as a result at 3 inches there was barely any up travel left. After little digging, turned out that Foxes have more body length to some other brands.

You'll want to check a few things once you have the springs/shocks removed.
1. Set the axles at full bump to see where your tires are the limiter (rubbing on inner fenders/sway bar, etc.). Check to make sure the track bars aren't hitting the front diff cover and rear fuel tank skid. Once you have that, you can decide how much added bump stop you will need to prevent these things from hitting each other. Finally, you can then measure your compressed length and extended length to order the proper length shocks. You don't want your shocks to bottom out and be the bump stop. I have no experience with the 9000XL shocks, but I think their shock lengths are less than desirable, and the shock bodies are bigger. I think @Jerry Bransford has some experience with them and might chime in for you.
Try to obtain a 50/50 shock travel bias for the best performance.
Thanks for that walkthrough, I appreciate it! And I saw somewhere that @Jerry Bransford recommended the 9000XL (I think it was another forum) so thats why I was looking into them. I'll have to dig around and see about the body size and all.
When choosing shocks, pay attention to travel length and body size of the shock, don't simply go of "for 2.5 lift" description.
I made that mistake with purchasing Foxes for "2.5 to 3.5 lift" combo. After i started unfucking all the previous owner fuckups i had to drop an inch in lift height, as a result at 3 inches there was barely any up travel left. After little digging, turned out that Foxes have more body length to some other brands.
This is exactly what I am scared of and trying to avoid. Just want to get the measurement right and not guess on anything.

I have the RS9000XL (installed by PO) and like ride as well as ability to adjust them. That said after reading this thread and comparing them on Rancho website RS5000X might be better choice. Comparing what is recommended for 3.5” lift in both, looks like the 5000X would allow more up travel should shock be limiting factor, more travel overall, and be less likely to rub spring perch in rear as can is smaller.

RS5000X - 55255
  • Compressed Length: 15.8
  • Extended Length: 26.53
  • Travel Length: 10.73
  • 2.25” shock body

RS9000XL - 999255
  • Compressed Length: 16.15
  • Extended Length: 26.01
  • Travel Length: 9.86
  • 2.75 shock body