Bump stops catch on springs

ChristopherD

So I've had my TJ for about 2 months and learned something I hadn't noticed til today. The driver's front bumpstop catches on the spring when it flexes down, then once that side comes back up it slips off the spring. I compared sides and it seems that the driver's side is bent towards the front of the vehicle at the bottom. Can I just bend it back? Idk how it got the way it is now.

Do you have a spacer between the jounce cup and the tube it mounts to?

If so, remove it and put your bumpstops on the pad of the lower spring perch. Spacers between the cup and tube are known to cause interference with the springs. Poly body lift pucks and rubber hockey pucks are pretty commonly used. I have hockey pucks currently.

Reactions: MaloStapalo and JMT
Screenshot_20190411-220852.png
Screenshot_20190411-220807.png

Do you have a spacer between the jounce cup and the tube it mounts to?

If so, remove it and put your bumpstops on the pad of the lower spring perch. Spacers between the cup and tube are known to cause interference with the springs. Poly body lift pucks and rubber hockey pucks are pretty commonly used. I have hockey pucks currently.
These pics are what I'm talking about. When the axle drops, a coil or two slips past the end of the bump stop, then as the axle comes back up each coil hangs up on the bottom of the bump stop as the spring compresses.

Do you have oem or adjustable control arms?

Since I see skyjacker shocks I'm guessing your arm isn't lengthed to the right length when the owner put on the skujacker lift.

Do you have oem or adjustable control arms?

Since I see skyjacker shocks I'm guessing your arm isn't lengthed to the right length when the owner put on the skujacker lift.
It's not. The pinion angle is ok to my understanding, but the caster is off. Is bumpstop hanging up bc the axle is rolled forward?

Reactions: TJDaveX
If you still have the stock control arms when it was lifted this in essance shifted the axle backwards. This causes the stop to catch on the spring.

See post #2 by @MountaineerTom . Whoever installed your lift added bumpstop extensions to the upper mounts, above the bumpstop cups. Because it is so long and the lift has rolled the axle, the coils are rubbing the bumpstop cup. To alleviate the problem, remove the extension and relocate it to the lower perch.

I don't have any experience other than what I have right now, but these hockey puck bumpstops came with my OME lift kit. One is countersunk so the bolt head fits down in it and wont damage the jounce bumper thingy. They are held in with a self tapping screw.

I would think it would be easy to make. Countersink it with a spade bit just enough so the bolt head doesn't prodrute, use a washer and self tapping screw. Each puck is about inch thick and 3 inchs diameter, I think.

IMG_5094.JPG

IMG_5096.JPG

Reactions: Jake kozlowski
I don't have any experience other than what I have right now, but these hockey puck bumpstops came with my OME lift kit. One is countersunk so the bolt head fits down in it and wont damage the jounce bumper thingy. They are held in with a self tapping screw.

I would think it would be easy to make. Countersink it with a spade bit just enough so the bolt head doesn't prodrute, use a washer and self tapping screw. Each puck is about inch thick and 3 inchs diameter, I think.

View attachment 87934

View attachment 87935
Do you happen to remeber what size self taper you used? Looking to do the same with mine!

I used 5/16” 18. You could use 3/8” too. It’s not that big a deal.

Reactions: Jake kozlowski
Note to self-

Start on the driver's side. If you screw up with the hole, you can put a nut on the bolt. There is no access to put a nut on, on the passengers side.

Reactions: MaloStapalo

View attachment 87934

View attachment 87935
Huh. My OME kit didn't have any "Official, made in Slovakia" pucks, just two aluminum 1" spacers...

Huh. My OME kit didn't have any "Official, made in Slovakia" pucks, just two aluminum 1" spacers...

That’s what mine had for the rear. I think they were 1”.

EDIT: Nope, they were 2” in the rear.

Last edited:
It doesn’t say the bolt size, (other than using a 9/16 socket on the bolt head) just to drill an 11/32 hole in the pad. Honestly, I don’t remember if I drilled or not. I know there was already a hole there. I think it may have been big enough that I just tried the self tapper in the existing hole and it cut through good and worked.

290513CB-AFDD-4497-A6FA-38F0C6722742.jpeg