Bumper Ideas: Let's See Them!

Sorry I don't have any close up shots of it and also that I got it wrong above (it's been a few years since I did it). I welded the brackets I made to the winch plate NOT the hoop. The Warn winch plate is the raised version and the hoop wouldn't fit flat on it. I cut a piece of 2" channel iron to match the length of flat iron bases of the hoop. I cut and ground down the channel iron to fit the contour of the winch plate and then welded them to the plate. I was then able to bolt the plate and hoop together.

This pic shows it a bit better (passenger's side as the other side is obscured by the cable). The "wedge" under where the hoop is bolted down is the piece that I made and welded to the winch plate.

View attachment 73384

Ok, I see. The 2 inch channel was welded to the angled part of the winch plate to give a flat surface for the mounting point of the hoop.

Does it angle out away from the grille much?

I might be able to pull off something like that as I also have a raised winch plate. I’ll have to look at mine closer and see if it would work. I’d have to move winch control to the top of the winch. I made a bracket and have it mounted between the winch and fog light on the passengers side.

Thanks again for all the info.

Does the rear bumper have the DW name plate also? Mine don't have those, and I don't miss them.
How are the nameplates attached? I also don't really want it on mine.

My rear bumper came with the name plate, I like it, but would've been ok with or without it. It's a steel plate, I'm not familiar enough with metal work to have an idea how it's attached, but it's cleanly done...no bead or anything around the plate.
fullsizeoutput_2f6.jpeg

My rear bumper came with the name plate, I like it, but would've been ok with or without it. It's a steel plate, I'm not familiar enough with metal work to have an idea how it's attached, but it's cleanly done...no bead or anything around the plate.View attachment 73405
Hmmm...well, I was hoping it was maybe attached with screws so I can remove it, have the bumpers powder coated, and then reattach the tag. Or not. It's not that I don't want to do a little advertising for Robert, but not sure I actually want one on the front bumper.

Reactions: PapaWhiskey33
How are the nameplates attached? I also don't really want it on mine.

Yes both front and rear have the DW nameplates. It's pretty small and it didn't bother me at all. I got it powdercoated with the plate attached and had no coverage issues. It's pretty invisible past 2-3ft to be honest. I'm pretty against big labels but this one I really don't mind.

I think he started adding them once he had his own website. Not 100% sure though. If you asked him politely, he may be willing to take them out. He was very nice to talk to in the phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squatch
Hmmm...well, I was hoping it was maybe attached with screws so I can remove it, have the bumpers powder coated, and then reattach the tag. Or not. It's not that I don't want to do a little advertising for Robert, but not sure I actually want one on the front bumper.

Yeah, definitely no screws on mine...maybe reach out to Robert to inquire? A BFH and a chisel would probably get them off...reattaching would be another story;). Agree with @psrivats, they're fairly small and not all that noticeable, especially when painted black. Not sure if you're still considering the tan PC, but would probably be more noticeable with lighter paint.

Yeah, definitely no screws on mine...maybe reach out to Robert to inquire? A BFH and a chisel would probably get them off...reattaching would be another story;). Agree with @psrivats, they're fairly small and not all that noticeable, especially when painted black. Not sure if you're still considering the tan PC, but would probably be more noticeable with lighter paint.
Yeah, still toying with the idea of the tan, but just not sure about it. Could be really cool, or an epic fail...

Yeah, still toying with the idea of the tan, but just not sure about it. Could be really cool, or an epic fail...

Just spitballing here, and probably waaaaaay more work than it's worth and probably already, but maybe just rattle can it tan, do a test fit and see how it looks? Then strip it back down before PC. Wouldn't even have to be a good rattle can paint job, just good enough to see how you like the color. Like I said, just spitballing and probably too much wasted work. I'll shut up now, haha!

Just spitballing here, and probably waaaaaay more work than it's worth and probably already, but maybe just rattle can it tan, do a test fit and see how it looks? Then strip it back down before PC. Wouldn't even have to be a good rattle can paint job, just good enough to see how you like the color. Like I said, just spitballing and probably too much wasted work. I'll shut up now, haha!
I actually had considered just painting the stock bumpers tan to get a rough idea of the general look (contrast being the main concern). I have a feeling I'll end up with the basic black. That's a given that it looks good... ;)

Reactions: PapaWhiskey33
Ok, I see. The 2 inch channel was welded to the angled part of the winch plate to give a flat surface for the mounting point of the hoop.

Does it angle out away from the grille much?

I might be able to pull off something like that as I also have a raised winch plate. I’ll have to look at mine closer and see if it would work. I’d have to move winch control to the top of the winch. I made a bracket and have it mounted between the winch and fog light on the passengers side.

Thanks again for all the info.

Using the bumper itself for reference, the top of the channel iron is parallel to the top of the bumper and front of it is likewise parallel to the front of the bumper. The "problem" is that the winch plate has angles. I basically squared things up so the hoop would sit properly. I think it's going to warm up to -17*C today so I'll try to get some pics for you. lol

MountaineerTom & KimsJeep - here are some closer pics of my front bumper.

As clear as mud … or snow ...
picture.jpg

Showing the distance of everything in relation to the face of the grill. I wanted to take the winch cover off but parts of it were frozen.
picture.jpg

picture.jpg

This shows the piece of 2" channel that I fabricated and welded to the winch plate. This LJ has seen a LOT of year round use since I did this, hence the wear. I plan to take this and other things a part this summer for blasting, painting, etc. (plus some mods to my original rear bumper … stay tuned!). The missing paint and rust actually helps to show what I did. The SS button head bolt that is shown was easy to do (bolt into a nut). For the other one that secures the hoop (out of sight in this pic) I had to drill and tap a hole because there was no way to use a nut with the bolt. Things got a bit crowded so I couldn't make the original 3 hole tow hooks work. The 2 hole Reese hooks worked fine with no extra drilling being required.
picture.jpg

BTW … The Warn winch plate I used was from a parts car. The previous owner cut off parts of the fairlead plate for some reason. I made additional cuts to make the angles more or less match the hoop (easier to see in the first pic). I just thought I'd point that out for those of you that might have a Warn winch plate and wonder why it looks different.

Hope this helps - Stew

Last edited:
Reactions: MountaineerTom
Thanks you very much for getting those. That helps a lot.

My raised Smittybilt winch plate would require about the same when it comes to mounting it there. I have an LOD front bumper. I could probably drill and tap the top of it to mount it too.

Thanks again, stay warm up there. : )

Reactions: PCO6
I love my Dirtworx bumper. Stout, simple bumper, well built here in the US at an inexpensive price. I have the standard front, but Robert at Dirtworx will build to your specs (delete round tube hoop, add winchplate/fairlead mount). Standard front came with two pre-drilled holes (second pic) which some folks have used to mount auxiliary lights.

Is this one the standard width? I'm pretty much set on getting a dirtworx as well, just thinking that I want one a couple inches narrower so It's a bit more of a mid vs. a full.

Is this one the standard width? I'm pretty much set on getting a dirtworx as well, just thinking that I want one a couple inches narrower so It's a bit more of a mid vs. a full.

Yes, I have the standard front bumper offered by Dirtworx. I know he'll customize as far as deleting the round bar or adding a winch plate/fairlead mount, etc., but I haven't come across any mention of changing the width of the bumper. Best bet would be to reach out to Robert at Dirtworx and inquire, he's good about answering questions.

Reactions: Nordic
Yes, I have the standard front bumper offered by Dirtworx. I know he'll customize as far as deleting the round bar or adding a winch plate/fairlead mount, etc., but I haven't come across any mention of changing the width of the bumper. Best bet would be to reach out to Robert at Dirtworx and inquire, he's good about answering questions.
When I spoke to Robert about altering the width (shortening it), he said that he could, but with some changes to the basic design (I seem to recall something being said about the location of the kicked-back ends effecting where the bull bar supports could be mounted, or some such thing). Anyways, I went with the standard width after getting that info, FWIW. As you said, @Nordic should just call Robert and inquire. Great guy to work with!

When I spoke to Robert about altering the width (shortening it), he said that he could, but with some changes to the basic design (I seem to recall something being said about the location of the kicked-back ends effecting where the bull bar supports could be mounted, or some such thing). Anyways, I went with the standard width after getting that info, FWIW. As you said, @Nordic should just call Robert and inquire. Great guy to work with!

Thanks for the reply, I'll give him a call when I do eventually get one. Reason I asked is because I saw this picture and thought it looked awesome:
Dirtworx.jpg

But looking at it again, it might just be the angle the picture is taken at, can't really tell. Anyhow, I'll call and ask regardless.