Bumper Ideas: Let's See Them!

Hey does anyone have an opinion on the bumpers that are a bit wider, I assume for tire protection vs the ones that basically end at the frame?
My opinion is that wider bumpers just get in the way

My opinion is that wider bumpers just get in the way

My warn stubby bumper is great for not getting in the way. One of the main reasons I picked it.

IMG_0171.jpeg

Thanks, @JMT. Gotta admit, though, that I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on the tan powder coating. Don't want folks to think I'm a JKU owner wannabe!
With the green Tj’s Like yours, I also like seeing them go the military route, black and green. It’st nostalgic IMO.

That looks like it was a lot of work! Any pics of the finished product? Would really like to see the end result. Kudos to you for tackling that project!

Somewhere I have a photo, but I only used some rattle can black on it (this may have been some type of bed liner or under carriage, I don't remember) and I don't think I pulled the bumper to paint it either because I was trying to get out in the field for some spring turkey hunting.

It wasn't too bad as far as work goes. I just got a CAD model of it and had the pieces for the outer "shell" burned out, though that wasn't perfect, because the plans were in 2D so some stuff didn't work out perfectly. It was still pretty easy. I tacked it all together, left some stuff out and when I got it half way decent I started fully welding it. I still haven't done the tire carrier though I cut and fit everything. That's just the problem when I have a thousand things I want to do so as I get the main parts done, I tend to move on to the next disaster.

Reactions: Squatch
What if I were to have the front and rear bumpers done in the same light tan color that the wheels were powder coated in?
Lighter colour will make the bumpers look bigger. If the bumpers are not too heavy, bulky, colour could look real good. But if they are bulky a light colour might make them look massive.

this is right on...
1545348045507.jpeg

this not so much..
tan bumper jku.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: glwood and Squatch
Depending on where you wheel, the wider bumper will protect the signal/fender from brush/trees. I run the stock bumper and had a tree whack the fender, bending the metal, breaking the light and flare.

I can't keep front turn signals on my Jeep. I'm in heavy brush and woods almost all the time and I'm running the stock bumper. I was going to go flat fender and move the turn signals to the top, but it looks like a pain to remount all that stuff in the engine bay if I toss the OEM fenders. I've been thinking of getting headlights with integrated turn signals. And I really need some grill protection for my intercooler and custom radiator. I've been actually thinking about a bull bar and something that looks like the protection you see on a lot of older tractors.

On on the Tan, it reminds me of doing the camo stuff for example on your face. If my memory serves me chin, nose and forehead, anything slightly protruding you generally wanted darker as it was supposed to make everything look further away and areas that were recessed you'd go lighter.

Of course it's your ride, do whatever makes you excited. Personally I used to love olive drab, then black, then FDE, and now I'm back to OD. To each his own.

Reactions: Squatch
I can't keep front turn signals on my Jeep. I'm in heavy brush and woods almost all the time and I'm running the stock bumper. I was going to go flat fender and move the turn signals to the top, but it looks like a pain to remount all that stuff in the engine bay if I toss the OEM fenders. I've been thinking of getting headlights with integrated turn signals. And I really need some grill protection for my intercooler and custom radiator. I've been actually thinking about a bull bar and something that looks like the protection you see on a lot of older tractors.

On on the Tan, it reminds me of doing the camo stuff for example on your face. If my memory serves me chin, nose and forehead, anything slightly protruding you generally wanted darker as it was supposed to make everything look further away and areas that were recessed you'd go lighter.

Of course it's your ride, do whatever makes you excited. Personally I used to love olive drab, then black, then FDE, and now I'm back to OD. To each his own.

One of the main reasons I went with MCE Flexible Fenders. Everything under the hood stays in its original position. Lots of tight trails with trees here that messed up my stock fenders. MCE flat fenders are not for everyone, but they work for me. My previous almost full width bumper didn't seem to protect the fenders much.

TJDave_8.jpg

86cb4845-b46a-4281-88d2-abb92ddebdff_zpsvwqu1jve.jpg

If my memory serves me chin, nose and forehead, anything slightly protruding you generally wanted darker
I've never heard this before but it makes perfect sense. I think my "taste" has been unconsciously ruled by this rule. Probably why I dislike this...

tan bumper jku.jpeg

They got the colours backwards. Especially the fenders.