Bumper Ideas: Let's See Them!

What is the procedure for finishing these? I have no experience in painting bare metal.
@PapaWhiskey33 hit the nail on the head. That thread not only has some great tips on finishing the bumpers (by other members, mostly) it has some good photos of the unfinished bumpers, and the interim primer coats, as well as paint suggestions.

I seriously considered powdercoating them, but listened to all the good advice about touching them up afterward, and glad I used paint instead.

Thanks to @PapaWhiskey33 and @glwood (who always has my best interest at heart) showing their pics of their Dirtworx bumpers and reminding me of just how much I like them, I just ordered mine (front and rear) from Robert.

It never ends, does it?

Those won't exactly be Stude type bumpers, but you will be seriously impressed with the workmanship and quality. Mine didn't take that long to arrive. I think if you don't have a lot of custom features, Robert might have what you want already built...

Reactions: Squatch
Those won't exactly be Stude type bumpers, but you will be seriously impressed with the workmanship and quality. Mine didn't take that long to arrive. I think if you don't have a lot of custom features, Robert might have what you want already built...
He said it would be 2-3 weeks before I'd see them, which is absolutely fine. When he picked up the phone, he was in Utah, and said it was freezing cold. If that's his idea of a vacation, he can have it! ;)

*Only added feature I have is the winch plate built into the bumper.

I was just going over your bumper finish thread again. Guess I should look into some frame tie-ins, next. Damn, your bumpers came out looking great!
Thank you. The frame tie-ins were a no-brainer for me, I figured as long as I was bolting things up, there was no reason to not install them. Especially if you ever need a rear pull of some sort.

Reactions: Squatch
Built one myself for my XJ years ago. I found some instructions for a winch bumper online and modified it for the application.

02A5D1BE-AD64-4508-8F15-2992EA5FC0FD.png

@chris, what's the weight on the jcr crusader bumper?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Not sure of the top of my head, I didn't have a scale to weight it on unfortunately. If I had to guess, I would say around 50 lbs.

Reactions: dieselvrr
Find this on sale by roughcountry .Pics is from add not on my TJ yet..
How much does that bumper weight?
+Winch 9500lb Pro but with Synthetic Rope and no rollers..

red bumper.jpg

Last edited:
Hey does anyone have an opinion on the bumpers that are a bit wider, I assume for tire protection vs the ones that basically end at the frame?

FWIW, I measured ride height with OEM bumpers and my new bumpers. My jeep sits between 1/8" to 1/4" lower than before. They're made from 3/16" steel. On both front and rear bumper install, 5 of 6 bolts came out easily, but the 6th bolt was problematic. Once the old bumpers were off, new bumpers installed in 20 minutes.

If anyone located in the Northeast is interested, let me know, and I will provide the contact information of the fabricator (I have no relation or financial interest).

So, I haven't received my Dirtworx bumpers yet (that's not a gripe, just a statement), but I have been giving some thought to what I want to do with them as far as finish once they arrive. As I've stated previously, I love the job that @glwood did on his, and that would be one obvious option, but what about this? What if I were to have the front and rear bumpers done in the same light tan color that the wheels were powder coated in? The hardtop will be painted the same color.
Too much? Too weird? My TJ is a Sahara with the Moss Green paint. I 'm sort of stuck on whether or not it would look "good" in a unique way (clearly different from the norm), or if would initiate a gag reflex in the general Jeep population. An additional thing to consider is that I'm installing some OEM Mopar rock sliders. To have them powder coated the same may be too much tan on the rig, but to leave them black while the bumpers are tan would look imbalanced. Looking for opinions. Might consider more of a graphite color as an option. What say you? I don't consider this a derailment, btw. It's a bumper "idea"... ;)

1545345019692.png

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I'm not sure the bumpers will look good powder coated that light tan color. I'd have to see it, but in my head it doesn't look good.

Reactions: Starrs and Squatch