Bumper Rust Prevention

XCRN

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I am looking for ways to minimize rust building up on things like bumpers, tire carriers, axles etc. This is about a year of having this sand blasted entirely and coated with primer and bed liner. I am probably going to see about having all this stuff stripped again and redo it, but I was wondering if I should look into a better base coating? On the inside of my tub I used silver Chassis Saver, then self etching primer, then the bed liner and it is holding up great. What are some suggestions people have to stop these things from rusting, especially at bolted joints

IMG_8546.jpeg

IMG_8545.jpeg

If it moves paint wear is hard to stop- you might consider stacking nylon bushings to handle the movement vs metal on metal-

Reactions: SPECWAR
If it moves paint wear is hard to stop- you might consider stacking nylon bushings to handle the movement vs metal on metal-

There are nylon bushings in there currently. I have been thinking of replacing all the pivot points with heim joints or go fancy with Johnny Joints so I can always have spares with me in case of critical control arm joint failure which does not really seem like much of a thing with JJs. But still there always seems to be rust forming at the fixed bolted joints.

There are nylon bushings in there currently. I have been thinking of replacing all the pivot points with heim joints or go fancy with Johnny Joints so I can always have spares with me in case of critical control arm joint failure which does not really seem like much of a thing with JJs. But still there always seems to be rust forming at the fixed bolted joints.

A lot of times it comes from where the hole is drilled and it was never painted- And works its way out

If it’s non-rotational you may consider some silicone grease as you fashion it together to keep the water out and then just wash away the excess or even just regular silicone- Air is part of the formula that create rust-

I think I know what you’re up against and it would bug me as well.

Reactions: SPECWAR
Aluminum bumpers! 😬

In the rust belt I think your best bet is to spray treat it with a protectant like Fluid Film (lanolin) or an oil based undercarriage treatment that can penetrate and resist washing off (until you coat it again)

Aluminum bumpers! 😬

In the rust belt I think your best bet is to spray treat it with a protectant like Fluid Film (lanolin) or an oil based undercarriage treatment that can penetrate and resist washing off (until you coat it again)

My frame has actually been doing great. I used the same primer and cheap Rustoleum flat black paint. Couple spots here and there of surface rust breaking through but nothing too bad.

IMG_1239.jpeg