Burnt oil smell when engine braking

Winks42

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys, for the past couple of days I‘ve been noticing a strong burning smell, almost like running rich, when engine braking down a pretty steep hill. The engine sits at 1700-1800 rpm in 3rd going down the hill and only notice the Smell near the bottom but goes away while I’m going up the next. I’m kinda stumped on what it is as it doesn’t happen when going up hills at higher rpms. The jeep has a leak in the back of the valve cover but if that oil was burning off wouldn’t I be smelling it all the time? Btw it happens on a couple hills, not just the same hill every time

I cant find any posts on here talking about it, only on some dodge forums about it. They talked about the PCV valve sucking oil up into the intake during engine braking. Does that sound like it could be a problem in our jeeps? My next question would be replacing it fix the issue? I cant really tell if I’m burning oil because of the leak, but I’m almost at 3000 miles (4 months) on the oil and it only went down like 1/8ths of the safe bar on the dipstick.

Thanks guys

Well i figured it out, Someone on another forum suggested I was sucking oil through my valve stem seals but my buddy had me test his theory. Well his theory was that because my valve cover was leaking oil he thought it was leaking onto the exhaust and then giving me the burning smell. Well I went down a hill in neutral and got the same smell so We just replaced the valve cover and so far the smell isnt as strong, there is still a lot of oil on the engine itself from the PO letting it leak for God knows how many years but hopefully the smell goes away in a couple of weeks, I’ll probably end up deep cleaning my engine to speed up the process

Well i figured it out, Someone on another forum suggested I was sucking oil through my valve stem seals but my buddy had me test his theory. Well his theory was that because my valve cover was leaking oil he thought it was leaking onto the exhaust and then giving me the burning smell. Well I went down a hill in neutral and got the same smell so We just replaced the valve cover and so far the smell isnt as strong, there is still a lot of oil on the engine itself from the PO letting it leak for God knows how many years but hopefully the smell goes away in a couple of weeks, I’ll probably end up deep cleaning my engine to speed up the process
Hopefully that takes care of it. I have used oven cleaner from the dollar store with good results. Just make sure you don’t have any aluminum you want to keep pretty. It will burn the aluminum.