Burnt out wiring while trying to find Blower Motor Resistor

AndrewBones

36D6B38B-D1AA-4290-9CD6-905C36CD5BBC.jpeg
Hi Guys, I was just trying to find my Blower Motor Resistor as I have never had any air blowing from position 1-3 in my Jeep Wrangler when I noticed that a connector felt dried out.
These are the pics of what I am assuming is the heater coil connector.
Now this was under a plastic kick cover situated on the passenger side directly under the glovebox. The hole in the background is where it was removed from.
A. Can anyone confirm what this is &
B. Does anyone have a clear pic of a RHD Blower Motor Resistor location.
It is supposed to be a Jeep Wrangler TJ 97 earliest model going by the front end
36D6B38B-D1AA-4290-9CD6-905C36CD5BBC.jpeg
781CDEED-6A1F-4350-A3D0-0E1A4CE3F63A.jpeg
64FFF9D8-B183-4E02-85D0-8F3215A58228.jpeg
A076829F-93E2-4AAC-A284-B248F0788A7D.jpeg

Learning curve is pretty massive at pres. I was under the impression that the blower resistor was a flat black electronic motherboard but have since found this clip with the same problem.
Does anyone know where I can buy a new wiring harness to replace the burnt out wiring?

Your picture and the video show the blower resistor for older TJs 97-01. The black card looking one are for 02-06. Quadratec, Morris 4x4, and numerous other online vendors and auto parts stores carry replacement resistors and wiring harnesses, but I don't know what resources are available down there. Find an online parts diagram for your specific model to determine the correct part number.

https://www.morris4x4center.com/wrangler-air-conditioning-and-heating-parts.html
https://www.quadratec.com/search/blower

A melted harness indicates the need for a new blower motor. As the motor ages, it draws more amps causing melted harnesses and bad things. Just replacing the fried parts does not fix the problem and it will likely happen again. Also check the wiring harness on the rear of the HVAC control panel, as that one melts too.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ
Thanks for that WDE. I was able to get a part number from your link but the wiring harness shows as a discontinued part on every website in Google.
Would you know if I would be able to upgrade my HVAC system to a 02-06 system?
Other option is just tape up the wires & leave it disconnected.

Thanks for that WDE. I was able to get a part number from your link but the wiring harness shows as a discontinued part on every website in Google.
Would you know if I would be able to upgrade my HVAC system to a 02-06 system?
Other option is just tape up the wires & leave it disconnected.

Here is an option?
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=331592059560

if you want the part. As far as the harness, I would just replace the wire with the broken pin. Solder something to the metal in the hole. Or better yet put a relay in before it. So the wire doesn't get that hot to begin with. I am assuming that the wire burned because it was drawing too many amps through the resistor. I would replace both the wire and the resister in this case.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Here is an option?
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=331592059560

if you want the part. As far as the harness, I would just replace the wire with the broken pin. Solder something to the metal in the hole. Or better yet put a relay in before it. So the wire doesn't get that hot to begin with. I am assuming that the wire burned because it was drawing too many amps through the resistor. I would replace both the wire and the resister in this case.
The blower motor is what would be drawing amperage.

Reactions: ac_
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
The blower motor is what would be drawing amperage.
Right, but the resistor resists right? If it is not resisting, then it is bad? That is not to say that the blower motor is not bad too. Need to figure that out before the repair, or it will happen again.

On my Ram, for whatever reason, they ran the 10Gauge hot wire through the ignition system to the resister, and it kept burning ignitions switches out, so to alleviate this, I cut the 10 gauge going through the ignitions system, and plugged it into a relay that got power from a smaller wire running through the ignition. Now if that wire gets hot it won't blow my ignition switch. So far so good. Not sure who's great idea it was to run the main power to the fan from the ignition switch itself at the Dodge dealer in 2003, but I fixed their mistakes.

Reactions: KMG
I would just order the harness repair kit. Cut off the old plug, taking note which wire goes to each pin location. Put the replacement wires in the new plug (color code the new wires the same as the old with colored electrical tape to make thing easier on yourself). Splice the new wires to the old harness.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/crown-a...ir-harness-97-06-jeep-wrangler-tj-cherokee-xj

Trying to retrofit a 02-06 harness does not sound practical,easy, or cheap.

Reactions: skrelnik
If I can find the wiring diagram for early 97 switch and compare it to the regular 97-2004, can I use quadratec's kit to bypass.

Did you find the later resistors was the same in your early 97?