Bushing press suggestions

KCsTJ

TJ student
Supporting Member
I am researching bushing presses and am in unfamiliar territory.

Harbor freight has several from 6 ton to 12 ton to 20 ton bushing presses.

Some are the stand alone 'H' design. Some are the 'C' arm design you place in a vise and use an impact on.

I'm investing in this because I dont like others doods greasy paws touching my jeep, plus I have 2 tjs so this will save $$$ plus I'll be able to work on other jeeps.

Which press(es) do you guys like/recommend?

Ive seen and used both a harbor freight 20-ton press as well as the OTC ball joint set. Both worked well. More so the ball joint press as its much more maneuverable

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ
I do have an use 20 Tons hydraulic shop press I do find used on Facebook market. I do have few accessories for it too. It's not the best around but works every time I do need it so I can recommend it to you. Looks for the 20% coupons if you decide to get one.

Reactions: Squatch and KCsTJ
Ive seen and used both a harbor freight 20-ton press as well as the OTC ball joint set. Both worked well. Moreso the ball joint press as its much more maneuverable
Thanks @tworley , that Moreso press is more maneuverable for example when removing the front upper axle bushing ?

That may be the type I'm looking for. Id like something that will work to remove the front hard to get to axle bushing
Edit, tried to find the Moreso u mentioned, no luck I may have it.misspelled

I do have an use 20 Tons hydraulic shop press I do find used on Facebook market. I do have few accessories for it too. It's not the best around but works every time I do need it so I can recommend it to you. Looks for the 20% coupons if you decide to get one.
Thanks, i will for sure be using a coupon on this purchase!

Reactions: Squatch
Thanks @tworley , that Moreso press is more maneuverable for example when removing the front upper axle bushing ?

That may be the type I'm looking for. Id like something that will work to remove the front hard to get to axle bushing
Edit, tried to find the Moreso u mentioned, no luck I may have it.misspelled

I like it "more so" than the harbor freight press. I was recommending the OTC ball joint press. We've used it on a couple of bushings with success, I've used it on axleshaft ujoints, and Ive also used it a number of times on ball joints.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SRGXY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I like it "more so" than the harbor freight press. I was recommending the OTC ball joint press. We've used it on a couple of bushings with success, I've used it on axleshaft ujoints, and Ive also used it a number of times on ball joints.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SRGXY/?tag=wranglerorg-20
That's the one I'm going with, i like it's versatility.
Plus I hate having to stop and go rent a bleeping tool I dont have when im on a roll getting things done in my garage shop. :)

Btw, nice rig @tworley , I've been following your build

That's the one I'm going with, i like it's versatility.
Plus I hate having to stop and go rent a bleeping tool I dont have when im on a roll getting things done in my garage shop. :)

Btw, nice rig @tworley , I've been following your build

Thanks! Still not quite where I want it but I am getting close.

If you want the adapters for changing ball joints, you will need OTC 7894. Otherwise you should be able to rent them at any Autozone, oriellys, etc....

Thanks! Still not quite where I want it but I am getting close.

If you want the adapters for changing ball joints, you will need OTC 7894. Otherwise you should be able to rent them at any Autozone, oriellys, etc....
Great recommendation, was wondering what kind of adapters n such I might need.
I will get the ball joint adapters as well, thanks @tworley !

To bring this back to the top. You can get away with the OTC ball joint press for pressing out bushings in control arms and other suspension parts? I thought the stand up 20 ton would be better for that, not sure if you could use it TJ ball joints?
HF has the 20 ton for $139..it does take up a ton of space though.

Reactions: Squatch
To bring this back to the top. You can get away with the OTC ball joint press for pressing out bushings in control arms and other suspension parts? I thought the stand up 20 ton would be better for that, not sure if you could use it TJ ball joints?
HF has the 20 ton for $139..it does take up a ton of space though.
FWIW, I bought the 20-ton HF press, and it worked great for the CA bushings. I also used an O'Reilly "rental" tool for the adapters, but once you return it, it's a no-charge situation. Anyway, the 20-ton press can be used for a number of things, so I place a fair amount of value on its versatility. I'll be using it for axle bearings here in the not too distant future...

Yes, 12 ton may not do it, go with a 20 ton and upgrade to that air powered 20 jack, just hit the air valve and it will push out the bushings while you hold your part. You can also get a foot valve for the air.

I agree a 20 ton would be better, my biggest issue is space. It is not like you can just slap his on the shelf. Still looks like I would need the ball joint press for the ball joints?

Are there attachments to press out different size items or do most just use various impact sockets?

Still looks like I would need the ball joint press for the ball joints?

Unless you can figure out a way to get the inner C to fit into a HF press;)

Are there attachments to press out different size items or do most just use various impact sockets?

Ive used a variety of things in the past; sockets, round bar, old bearings, etc...