Bushings went bad due to an oil leak for arms. Need advice

SafariRumbler

TJ Enthusiast
Hey so my Jeep is at a mechanic right now getting the lift kit installed and he said that oil caused the rubber in the bushings to disintegrate. He said i need new lower control arms, front track bar, and upper control bushings... I don’t know that much about suspension, does this seem right? Also is this a really really expensive thing to do?

Hey so my Jeep is at a mechanic right now getting the lift kit installed and he said that oil caused the rubber in the bushings to disintegrate. He said i need new lower control arms, front track bar, and upper control bushings... I don’t know that much about suspension, does this seem right? Also is this a really really expensive thing to do?
If it's at mechanic then yes, it'll be expensive. For a mechanic to take the time to replace bushings it may be cheaper to have them install new arms instead.

I haven't heard of oil disintigrating bushing before. Time will certainly wear them out.what kind of lift kit did you buy? Sounds like a budget lift if it didn't include arms or account for the track bar requirements.

What size lift are you putting on? New adjustable control arms might be needed soon anyway.

Wellll.... if they are done, they are done. Your responsibility to double check though.
Mechanics are known to blow things out of proportions, they are also known to get excited when ever a Jeep rolls into a shop.

Mechanic labor time is rarely reasonably priced. Just because he has special tools to turn a 6 hour job into 3 hour, does not mean that he will not charge you for 6+ hours of labor.
Depending on your lift, and if it is getting done right with consideration of everything, i can see this easily being a dedicated 6+ hour job

If it's at mechanic then yes, it'll be expensive. For a mechanic to take the time to replace bushings it may be cheaper to have them install new arms instead.

I haven't heard of oil disintigrating bushing before. Time will certainly wear them out.what kind of lift kit did you buy? Sounds like a budget lift if it didn't include arms or account for the track bar requirements.
Went for a zone 3”. Yeah he thinks it needs new arms.

We would have to see photos of the parts in question to tell you whether or not they really need to be replaced.

A mechanic is going to charge you a shit ton for that stuff.

However, if you got the parts yourself, you could probably get all the parts you need for around $1200 to $2000, give or take.

I've seen plenty of bushings ate up by oil. But they are normally several decades old and also allowed to sit out in the weather and the UV of the sun. Most 'newer' rubber has a better rubber compound that holds up better to oil saturation but falls apart under UV quicker.
If you trust the mechanic then he is probably right. And steering/ suspension is the wrong place to test just how bad a bushing can get. Post some pic's. But if the bushings are starting to look like black cauliflower they are definitely due for replacement.

I've seen plenty of bushings ate up by oil. But they are normally several decades old and also allowed to sit out in the weather and the UV of the sun. Most 'newer' rubber has a better rubber compound that holds up better to oil saturation but falls apart under UV quicker.
If you trust the mechanic then he is probably right. And steering/ suspension is the wrong place to test just how bad a bushing can get. Post some pic's. But if the bushings are starting to look like black cauliflower they are definitely due for replacement.
020565EC-2E38-4A74-A613-C303E39D2A6B.jpeg
5230B8F3-C28D-4219-AD04-64FA3696C338.jpeg

This is why you want to avoid lifts without control arms included, at least for a 23 year old TJ with original bushings.
how much is he charging you to put all new bushings in?