Buying a Jeep

Curt-Curt

looking at a 2004 jeep automatic transmission with 156000 miles on it. jeep for sale $7000
My question is: Am I looking at a transmission rebuilt in the near future (cause of miles) if I buy it?
and is so is that about @$2500
Is the miles too high to buy?
Thanks
Curt

If there is no rust and the car is well maintained and in good condition, it is a good deal. As far as the transmission goes it depends on how it was used and if it was serviced regularly. Does the fluid smell burned & is it clean looking?

Reactions: Hunter Rich
First things first, check out this thread:

What should I look for when buying a used Wrangler TJ?

Above all, you should be concerned about rust and how it was maintained. Those miles mean nothing if it was owned by someone who painted it and cared for it.

Transmissions tend to need rebuilding or replacing every 200k miles or so. For an automatic you can expect to spend around $2500 to $3500 to have it replaced.

Reactions: Hunter Rich
You are in the North East. Rust. Then look for rust. Then look for....rust. on the frame. Inside the frame. All under the tub. It likes to go over the fuel tank. Be sure to go slow and look everywhere. That is a very low price. Covid special? So even if you have to replace the transmission you are still in it for cheap. Take a long test drive. Check out every button and knob. Do the seats fold up? Do the seat slides move easily. It's all this simple stuff that gets expensive. The big stuff normally holds up. Check heat/AC in all settings. Rear wiper? You get the idea.

Reactions: Noreaster1967
Follow Chris's advice and read the thread, I did and it helped me avoid several problem jeeps. Drive it like it's yours when you test drive it. Don't baby it because dude is sitting next to you. When you get back pull the trans dip stick and smell it do the same with the oil. If it smells the least bit burnt drop the dipstick and then run back to your car and leave! Get the carfax, most service shops report to them and this will help determine maintenance.

🍻

thanks guys. Still waiting for guy to reply back to me. Yes i read Chris advised before Thanks big help. Its been almost a year since I been looking for a Jeep (still don't own one). the search continues

thanks guys. Still waiting for guy to reply back to me. Yes i read Chris advised before Thanks big help. Its been almost a year since I been looking for a Jeep (still don't own one). the search continues
You're on the right path.
It took me a year and a half to find my second TJ.
The things that I learned from my first TJ guided me to choose for the next one.

In my area the "salt belt"(although lesser than other areas) I spent almost 15 months looking until I started thinking long distance! I searched all across the southern states from Arizona to Florida looking and looking anticipating a road trip. Found several that brought on interest and several phone calls later one came up for sale 2 counties away that met the standards. Patience is a virtue in the hunt for a quality CJ,YJ or TJ especially one close to you in the northern half of the US. You'll find it but "don't settle"