Buying First Jeep

espressoray

Supporting Member
Hello All,

I am new to the forum, ready to purchase my first TJ. A Rubicon I am interested in is at a dealer in New Jersey, and before I drive from Pittsburgh to check it out closely and test drive, I wanted to get advice on what to look for.

Here is a link to the dealer’s page for this TJ: https://www.carlinkautos.com/invent...bicon-4wd-2d-sport-utility-1j4fa69s85p307911/

What is shown looks clean. The paint might look too clean… repainted? The carpet looks new, I plan to lift the carpet and check the floor pans. There aren’t any photos of the undercarriage, so no preview before I get there and climb under to take a look.

From threads on the forum, I know of primary concern will be rust, with the overall condition of the frame being critical. I will find a gravel or dirt lot to verify the transfer case will go into 4hi/4lo and that the diffs engage/release during the test drive. Aside from rust, abnormal sounds, and obvious leaks, what else should I be on the lookout for?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ray

Hello All,

I am new to the forum, ready to purchase my first TJ. A Rubicon I am interested in is at a dealer in New Jersey, and before I drive from Pittsburgh to check it out closely and test drive, I wanted to get advice on what to look for.

Here is a link to the dealer’s page for this TJ: https://www.carlinkautos.com/invent...bicon-4wd-2d-sport-utility-1j4fa69s85p307911/

What is shown looks clean. The paint might look too clean… repainted? The carpet looks new, I plan to lift the carpet and check the floor pans. There aren’t any photos of the undercarriage, so no preview before I get there and climb under to take a look.

From threads on the forum, I know of primary concern will be rust, with the overall condition of the frame being critical. I will find a gravel or dirt lot to verify the transfer case will go into 4hi/4lo and that the diffs engage/release during the test drive. Aside from rust, abnormal sounds, and obvious leaks, what else should I be on the lookout for?

Ray
Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest checking out: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-should-i-look-for-when-buying-a-used-wrangler-tj.375/

I'd think asking for some undercarriage photos before you make the drive would make the most sense; unless it's like 30 minutes away or something.

It would be worth it to have them snap some pics of the underside for you, since it appears you may be 6+ hours away???

That being said, it sure looks clean, and I'd bet the underside represents just as well with those low miles.

Otherwise, throw caution to the wind and go look at it in person. Make sure they don't sell it before you get there. But also understand, they may be set on the price knowing you came from "over yonder." And in this current used vehicle market, even before talking about TJ (and TJ Rubicon) values on the rise, understand EVERYTHING is priced high right now.

But, it's red. Mmmmmm.........

It would be worth it to have them snap some pics of the underside for you, since it appears you may be 6+ hours away???

That being said, it sure looks clean, and I'd bet the underside represents just as well with those low miles.

Otherwise, throw caution to the wind and go look at it in person. Make sure they don't sell it before you get there. But also understand, they may be set on the price knowing you came from "over yonder." And in this current used vehicle market, even before talking about TJ (and TJ Rubicon) values on the rise, understand EVERYTHING is priced high right now.

But, it's red. Mmmmmm.........
It does look fantastic. Purely anecdotal but I looked at an '06 LJ with low miles and that appeared to be in great condition(and that same-ish flame orange). Body was full of bondo, had fresh body & frame paint. Took some close inspection to find the bondo, they covered it up pretty well. Even had some bondo in the frame near the body mounts.

Hello All,

Ray
Looks loaded and clean. Check the frame rust, especially where the transfer case skid meets the frame and in the holes on the frame rails between the front and rear control arm frame mount brackets (under the door). Feel around with your finger for rust flakes. The price is not bad for a Rubi with 79K mileage, but I’d go for $18k. Impact Orange is a great color!

Reactions: espressoray
Why make the outside look great for pictures and leave the engine filthy with leaves and twigs in front of the radiator? Why no closeups of the frame and underneath? :unsure:Seems like under the Jeep looks more like the engine area. RC top? What's up with the front roll bar bolt on stuff? I wouldn't make the drive without those questions being answered and pics. Seats are covered too. More pics of those with the covers off. Price is $6,000 too high IMO.

Last edited:
Why make the outside look great for pictures and leave the engine filthy with leaves and twigs in front of the radiator? Why no closeups of the frame and underneath? :unsure:Seems like under the Jeep looks more like the engine area. RC top? What's up with the front roll bar bolt on stuff? I wouldn't make the drive without those questions being answered and pics. Seats are covered too. More pics of those with the covers off. Price is $6,000 too high IMO.
I thought is was strange to do part of the detailing well, and not finish under the hood or at the grill. Maybe quitting time on a Friday?
I requested photos of the underside / frame / suspension. I'll post these when received. I found the vendor page for that bolt in cage: https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1001.htm I have never seen one of these installed, not sure it would make sense to keep it installed if I buy this TJ. Just curious, how were you able to recognize the top as RC brand?

Looks loaded and clean. Check the frame rust, especially where the transfer case skid meets the frame and in the holes on the frame rails between the front and rear control arm frame mount brackets (under the door). Feel around with your finger for rust flakes. The price is not bad for a Rubi with 79K mileage, but I’d go for $18k. Impact Orange is a great color!
Thanks for the details on problem areas. I would certainly like to get this for less than the asking price, I'll have to see how that goes. Impact Orange would be my first choice.

What's this spot here? Looks like it could be rust behind diamond plating. This Jeep spent its entire life on the periphery of the rust belt, so there is no way it's 100% clean. They are asking Southern Jeep money for a Rust Belt Jeep, so if you are willing to pay $20,000 there are better places to buy from. Why risk it?

jeep.jpg