Buying parts for my faulty transmission, what brands should I buy?

chotomobile

I want to kick this off by saying I bought the "OMIX 19001.04 Automatic Transmission Rebuild Kit " back in 2019. I got it off of Ebay for around 180 bucks. The transmission got the parts changed and it worked perfectly.

Now, about two years down the line, the transmission started slipping and struggling to shift gears(sometimes didn't shift). The TJ didn't get an oil or filter change since it got rebuilt with the OMIX parts, so I thought and oil and filter change would fix the problem.

The mechanic is telling me that I have to buy the kit all over, and that some part in it was not good quality. He also wants me to purchase a new overdrive piston housing support, and the roller clutch low(mind you, I have no idea what these parts are).

All in all what I am asking is, is this guy bullshitting me, or is it actually possible that I have to buy the whole kit again, and these two parts separately (I'll attach the images he sent me). Also, should I buy the same OMIX kit or maybe go for a different one? IDK, please help, it would be much appreciated.

I know nothing about how these things work and I don't want to wind up spending a lot of money unnecessarily.
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg

Unfortunately you're probably not going to find just a ton of expertise here on the inner workings of an automatic transmission. They don't seem to break enough for people to get a bunch of experience working on them. I would love 10 people to reply here and prove me wrong, but it ain't gonna happen.

That said, with the right set of tools the 32RH 42RLE don't seem to be all that hard to work on...one day I will find one for cheap and overhaul it myself just to find out how hard it is.

Sorry this isn't very helpful.

The issue with reliably rebuilding automatic transmissions is related to their design. There are a ton of wear parts and they all need to be checked thoroughly by someone who knows what to look for. They are full of bushings, sprags, pistons, clutches, valves and on and on. Even the case on many is a wear item if the floater plates ride on it. Stories like this are a dime a dozen. Transmission made it for 15 years, then rebuild lasts for 2 years and needs to be done again. The solution is to find a new or low mileage replacement, or send it to someone who has done that particular model 5 times a day for 15 years. Otherwise good luck and stock up on those rebuild kits.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Curious-

What gear(s) is it slipping?

What gear not shifting?

What about reverse?

As for the "overdrive piston housing support" this transmission doesn't have overdrive. There is an "overrunning clutch" maybe that?

Did this same mechanic do the first rebuild? Does he have an explanation why it only lasted 2 years?

Last edited:
Rock Auto sells a pioneer rebuild kit which I bought for my 30RH. And is good quality. There are a few good brands out there. You should check out Sonnax as they have problem solver components.
Sonnax

The rebuild kit will consist of the seals and gaskets, clutch discs, ( maybe the steels) , accumulator pistons etc. these are wear item and you would not want to reuse them. The two hard parts would not be included in the rebuild kit. The center support looks worn in the center. The roller clutch is a one way clutch which will lock a drum one way and allow it to rotate the opposite way depending on what gear it is in. I this slips it can cause slipping in gear, hard shift, lack of engine braking , or two gears at once. ( I would have to see the power flow diagram to tell which problem) you noted the struggling to shift the one way clutch slipping can cause that. Your mechanics work looks clean & organized from the stack of parts. One of the issues is getting good parts, everything has been outsourced and quality is suspect.

Thank all of you for your responses and sorry for not noticing, I believed I'd get notified by E-mail when I got them. I appreciate every single one and will update you on what I do.

Curious-

What gear(s) is it slipping?

What gear not shifting?

What about reverse?

As for the "overdrive piston housing support" this transmission doesn't have overdrive. There is an "overrunning clutch" maybe that?

Did this same mechanic do the first rebuild? Does he have an explanation why it only lasted 2 years?
He did do the first rebuild, he said it was because of the parts... idk.