CAI Airaid cone filter replacement

I'd got rid of the cone filter and put back the stock intake box and filter. I ran a cone for a while and it was the worst idea ever. Got horrible gas mileage and ran like a$$.

There is little to nothing at all to be gained from a cold air intake on these engines. Even one of the engineers who designed the Jeep Wrangler TJ said this:

"As with any "system" on the vehicle, such as the air induction system, there is a certain amount of compromise that needs to be designed into it. What I mean is that you could maximize flow, but at what cost to filtration and protection of the engine? Essentially we design the stock intake system to meet the airflow requirements of the engine while still protecting it from fine particle ingestion. Will a cold air intake possibly flow a little more? Perhaps, but it may potentially allow larger particles through that the stock paper element would not.

In the case of the TJ, the 4.0L is an engine optimized for low RPM power and torque - the potential increase in airflow that a cold air intake might offer would not really play into the typical RPM range that a 4.0L generally operates in."

So really and realistically, you have nothing to gain from a cold air intake unless you're getting it for free. Not to mention that most of the air filters (i.e. K&N) that come with cold air intakes can actually do more harm than good for your engine, due to the fact that a lot of particles bypass those filters.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ and JMT
Thats what we are talking about.

Mine came with the CAI that I wish it didn’t have because I know better. But finding a better cone filter (ie the Amsoil air filter I found) is cheaper and easier as an intermediate option compared to hunting down a good condition cheap stock airbox.

Its merely a good in-between. Far better than the crappy K&N/Airaid filters in terms of filtering, but definitely not as food as the stock box with an AcDelco paper filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thats what we are talking about.

Mine came with the CAI that I wish it didn’t have because I know better. But finding a better cone filter (ie the Amsoil air filter I found) is cheaper and easier as an intermediate option compared to hunting down a good condition cheap stock airbox.

Its merely a good in-between. Far better than the crappy K&N/Airaid filters in terms of filtering, but definitely not as food as the stock box with an AcDelco paper filter.

I know you already ordered a filter, but I possibly have a source for the stock air box and plumbing you might be able to pick up just for the shipping. I have a pm out to the fellow on another forum. Let's see what he responds.

Reactions: The Real Lxxtsy
I ended up buying the replacement Amsoil Air filter (dry) and as well as their pre-filter. I looked up my airraid’s filter dimensions (base and tip diameter and the height) and chose the direct replacement off of Amsoils website.

The filter is high quality and looks to filter much better than the air raid filter, though I personally dont have any actual data to support. But just based upon my visual inspection the amsoil filter looks to be much better. I think it’ll be a good compromise compared to switching back to the stock airbox.

These are the part numbers I ordered:
1. EAAU4070 (Universal Air Induction Filter)
2. EAPF19 (Absolute Efficiency Pre-Filter)

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...ir/amsoil-ea-universal-air-induction-filters/

Thanks for the info, I have both of these coming via UPS tomorrow!

Just my damned luck - their website has a bug that forces EAFP01 into the cart instead of EAFP19. Got excited when my prefilter showed up, but then saw that it was the wrong one :/

I ended up buying the replacement Amsoil Air filter (dry) and as well as their pre-filter. I looked up my airraid’s filter dimensions (base and tip diameter and the height) and chose the direct replacement off of Amsoils website.

The filter is high quality and looks to filter much better than the air raid filter, though I personally dont have any actual data to support. But just based upon my visual inspection the amsoil filter looks to be much better. I think it’ll be a good compromise compared to switching back to the stock airbox.

These are the part numbers I ordered:
1. EAAU4070 (Universal Air Induction Filter)
2. EAPF19 (Absolute Efficiency Pre-Filter)

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...ir/amsoil-ea-universal-air-induction-filters/

Thought I'd chime in again on this topic. I had replaced the shitty Banks Airaid filter with both of the above, keeping the Bank intake tube in place. My oil is PRISTINE now, before I swapped the original filter out my oil would be nasty after 1K miles. Now, after ~2500 miles or so, it is still hard to make out the oil levels on the dipstick. This setup work tremendously!

33347E28-E4BC-4238-9BCF-C2F8A6CD8FDA.jpeg

Reactions: lrb6805
Bringing this back from the dead…I, too, bought a TJ with an airaid setup already installed. The Amaoil dry filter seems like a quicker/easier option than finding a good stock setup. That said, I cannot seem to find these part numbers available anymore. Any ideas or other options anyone has found?

has anyone here done something similar where you used any other paper cone filters that would a close to the diameter of the tube?

I used a WIX 46398 (from a 1995 Acura Integra) to have a paper cone filter on my MJ. Something work looking at and would at least get you going in the right direction.