Can a phone charger designed for a motorcycle be connected to a car battery?

bagpiper22

I have a handy phone holder for my motorcycle that does a really good job of holding the phone and can easily be turned to landscape mode for map use. I’m thinking about putting one in my jeep and I’m certain I can figure out a way to mount it securely. This is not for off-road, just driving on regular streets and occasional dirt roads.

My question is this: the phone holder has a USB port that can connect to the motorcycle battery for phone charging. Can I wire that to the Jeep’s battery? Both batteries are 12v but I know the car battery has more amps etc.

Assuming I connect it to the fuse box with the correct amp fuse, should it work?

thanks!

6197F373-5500-476D-8235-4BCE1F5E90C3.jpeg
4C8D3DEA-1F94-491A-952C-CAF0C24F58FD.jpeg

The higher capacity in amps will not hurt anything at all. It will work fine. If your holder has a USB plug on the end why not wire in a USB port for it to plug in so you have more flexibility in the future? Some on here have installed ports inside/behind the glove box if you are looking for a cleaner look.

The higher capacity in amps will not hurt anything at all. It will work fine. If your holder has a USB plug on the end why not wire in a USB port for it to plug in so you have more flexibility in the future? Some on here have installed ports inside/behind the glove box if you are looking for a cleaner look.
@Viking Jeeper hey...sorry i was unclear...the holder has a USB port under the bracket where you can plug in an iPhone cord. The wiring is just straight black and red wires.

Thanks for your reply. Will hook it up and let the group know how it goes...