Can I safely apply Fluid Film to my u-joints and steering knuckles?

AaronPaul

TJ Enthusiast
My question is this. My U-Joints are pretty rusted, my steering knuckle not so bad. But, can I safely spray these two things with some fluid film?

Thank you guys!

My question is this. My U-Joints are pretty rusted, my steering knuckle not so bad. But, can I safely spray these two things with some fluid film?

Thank you guys!
The outside of a ujoint does not care much about rust. As long as the seals are ok and if greaseable they still take grease that is all that matters. That being said hitting them with some lanolin is not going to hurt them either.

The outside of a ujoint does not care much about rust. As long as the seals are ok and if greaseable they still take grease that is all that matters. That being said hitting them with some lanolin is not going to hurt them either.
Any tips on how to check the seals to see if that is the case?

Maybe stating the obvious here, but most of what you spray on a u-joint will simply be thrown off as the joint spins.
It's a really good point but Fluid Film is some pretty thick stuff that I thought penetrated the metal. Maybe I am wrong.

Any tips on how to check the seals to see if that is the case?

50A06EF4-F957-400D-9E71-8CAB0904C49F.jpeg

275E5FB0-72A2-4E71-95DB-E354FBDA1937.jpeg

It's a really good point but Fluid Film is some pretty thick stuff that I thought penetrated the metal. Maybe I am wrong.
Given the rust you have, I'd clean up the knuckles, then prime and paint them. The u-joints would simply get replaced. Not worth trying to band aide.

20211231_162821-jpg.jpg

20211231_184326-jpg.jpg

20220102_135432-jpg.jpg