Can I safely apply Fluid Film to my u-joints and steering knuckles?

That looks like the knuckle off an Alaskan beach truck. The ujoint does not show and signs of leaking but that also means that there may not be any grease left in them either. Do you have any clicking or pulsations in the steering wheel while turning? From the looks of things you are well overdue for some TLC there.

Reactions: AaronPaul
The orange dust around the u joint body near the caps is a good indication the needles have turned to orange dust…

Reactions: Irun
12 point what? LOL. They are completely stripped
I have heard replacing U joints is not an easy task
Ha, what 12 point indeed !

Ease of replace depends on how stubborn it is, you have so much corrosion going on there that you... i just... yah... have fun bud.
Make sure to use hammer method, or you will likely end up replacing shafts.

I worry about taking the knuckle off because that means i have to take out the axle and that is something i have never done
The way those look, I'd just replace them with a new 4340 set. Those u-joints are running on borrowed time! For around $500, complete, it's money well spent. Removing the axles is actually the easy part. Like I said, the hard part will be getting those 3 bolts out on each side.

That looks like the knuckle off an Alaskan beach truck. The ujoint does not show and signs of leaking but that also means that there may not be any grease left in them either. Do you have any clicking or pulsations in the steering wheel while turning? From the looks of things you are well overdue for some TLC there.
Believe it or not no, nothing. It drives just fine but clearly they need replaced.

The way those look, I'd just replace them with a new 4340 set. Those u-joints are running on borrowed time! For around $500, complete, it's money well spent. Removing the axles is actually the easy part. Like I said, the hard part will be getting those 3 bolts out on each side.
Yeah I am really not looking forward to wrestling with it but I have to learn some time so I guess now is that time lol

thats what the plumber said too ! :eek:
That would be @Plumber1. :cool:
Plumber1.jpg

Reactions: tr21triton
Yeah I am really not looking forward to wrestling with it but I have to learn some time so I guess now is that time lol
Do it yourself. You'll be sore afterward; there's no doubt. But you'll also be sore from kicking yourself if you don't do it and it fails on the road. It's not that hard of a job. In your case will just take time, a decent press, maybe some heat, and a whole shit ton of elbow grease. You won't like the quote a mechanic will give you for the job after he takes a look at it.

Do it yourself. You'll be sore afterward; there's no doubt. But you'll also be sore from kicking yourself if you don't do it and it fails on the road. It's not that hard of a job. In your case will just take time, a decent press, maybe some heat, and a whole shit ton of elbow grease. You won't like the quote a mechanic will give you for the job after he takes a look at it.
Yeah the last thing I want is a breakdown that I cannot recover from. I guess I will try my best. You all have been awesome so thank you for the support

Reactions: ejay