Can I wait on a big brake kit?

RJRendleman

Supporting Member
Alright so I am doing an overhaul on the 04 Jeep.

I have bought and am almost done installing the following...

Currie 4" kit w/ antirock & dbl adjustables
Rancho RS5000x
Currectlync Steering
SYE & Both Driveshafts
Rear adj. Track bar
Rokmen Skid
Dana 44 rear with 3.73s (Jeep came with 3.07s) (The axle also came with Alloy USA shafts so I am assuming they are Chromoly)
35" tires
Front extended brake lines
I also took the time to wire wheel the frame & axles free of surface rust and repainted them as well as replace any bolts not already being replaced with the Currie kit

So here is everything else I would like to do but I need to take a break on spending $ for a little while...

Exhaust work to compensate all the changes
Regear to 4.88s and axle seal replacements (sooner than later)
Vanco Big Brake Kit w/ unit bearings
Chromoly Front axles and ball joint replacements
Rear Eaton E Locker
Possibly new rear axle shafts depending on the condition of the ones already in there

Am I crazy for waiting 3-6 months on the Vanco BBK (because I would like to do the shafts and ball joints all together with them) with having 35" tires on the stock brakes? Or would I have luck just doing black magic pads/rotors now and waiting a year or 2 on the BBK?

Jeep is a garaged second vehicle that will do occasional light/moderate off-roading 3-4 times a year.

I wish i could just do it all now but money doesn't grow on trees.

Or would I have luck just doing black magic pads/rotors now and waiting a year or 2 on the BBK?
I think you'll want at least the pad/rotor setup pretty quickly on 35s, but the bad thing about finding out you need more brake is when it isn't enough. Hopefully that "isn't enough" isn't when there's a collision involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: RJRendleman and L J
How are your brakes currently with the 35's? Some factory brakes work fairly well with 35's, but most do not. I'd think for now I'd at least install the Black Magic pads but do make sure to follow the break-in instructions carefully. When done properly the break-in will get everything so hot you'll be able to smell the front brakes.

I'd throw some Black Magic pads on as suggested, or EBC Yellowstuff pads. The Yellowstuff pads will lock up my 35's no problem, and the BM pads are supposed to be quite a bit better than those.

I'd throw some Black Magic pads on as suggested, or EBC Yellowstuff pads. The Yellowstuff pads will lock up my 35's no problem, and the BM pads are supposed to be quite a bit better than those.
EBC Yellowstuff pads were indeed the best until Black Magic introduced theirs.

Reactions: derekmac
If the plan is to buy a Vanco kit in the coming months for an occasionally driven vehicle, why spend the money twice?

If the plan is to buy a Vanco kit in the coming months for an occasionally driven vehicle, why spend the money twice?
Agreed, your brakes in the worst condition probably do better than some, just drive with that in mind the few times you hop in and you'll be fine. The way some people talk you'd think driving a Corvette to work and then hopping into a 10-ton would be impossible.

How are your brakes currently with the 35's? Some factory brakes work fairly well with 35's, but most do not. I'd think for now I'd at least install the Black Magic pads but do make sure to follow the break-in instructions carefully. When done properly the break-in will get everything so hot you'll be able to smell the front brakes.
Not sure yet... hopefully I have everything up and running this weekend, but that will depend on getting everything dialed in correctly. My factory brakes worked decent with the 33s but of course there are so many folks who would never dream of running factory brakes for the time being on 35s its got me worried.

Agreed, your brakes in the worst condition probably do better than some, just drive with that in mind the few times you hop in and you'll be fine. The way some people talk you'd think driving a Corvette to work and then hopping into a 10-ton would be impossible.
Makes sense...I by no means am driving the Jeep aggressively.

Not sure yet... hopefully I have everything up and running this weekend, but that will depend on getting everything dialed in correctly. My factory brakes worked decent with the 33s but of course there are so many folks who would never dream of running factory brakes for the time being on 35s its got me worried.
TJ's are all over the map. Some work good for 35's, some are scary on 33's, and some will lock up 37" tires with full stock brakes. Also the reason you get so many varied answers as to what you need. You are the only that can figure that out. Get it going, go try to lock up the 35's some place safe. If you can't, you know what to do. If you can, you've got some time before you have to do something.

How quaint. Hope his worst condition brakes don't get in the way of anyone pulling out in front of him or worse.

You are the only that can figure that out. Get it going, go try to lock up the 35's some place safe. If you can't, you know what to do. If you can, you've got some time before you have to do something.
That makes perfect sense. That answers my questions... ill get it all up and running and see how it reacts and then go from there. Thank you!

Reactions: Chris and jjvw
How quaint. Hope his worst condition brakes don't get in the way of anyone pulling out in front of him or worse.
Typical response, just like somebody pulling in front of a Semi, or somebody pulling in front of me towing a 3500lb trailer. It happens all the time and is no reason not to drive unless you are a chicken shit.