Can I wire 2001 Wrangler hard top rear wiper without the factory harness?

I'm considering the same thing. I haven't pulled the fuse panel yet to see if the rear wiper fuse connections are there. Then it would simply be a matter of connecting the wiring from the fuse panel to a dash switch and back to the rear wiper. You should be able to use a standard connector, put just the wire and ground in, and find a place in the back to ground it. You may even be able to find a dial switch that would give you delay wiping.

Reactions: astjp2
Thanks for the quick response. I have worked with electrical wiring on aerial equipment for forty years, so making my own harness is not a problem. Thought about using a rheostat switch for speed control. I have printed off several schematics and plan on checking my wiring compared to these later today. Thanks again for the help!

If you want to use the factory plug on the hard top, you need to know what year the hardtop came from. I know there's a compatible plug that can be acquired from a salvage yard, but I don't remember which vehicle anymore. I started a full harness years ago, but never installed it.

Lots of write ups available for research. For example.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...r-tj-for-a-hardtop-part-1-dash-harness.15350/

I have a 05 tj and wanting to know if amcomplete wiring harness off a 98:tj will work on wiring my hardtop?trying to figure ifmthis complete harness will work ..I have the hardtop,with vented sides,,
A106E4E5-F4DA-4B2D-8B39-9B3D73EDD999.jpeg
this ismthe complete harness off a 98 tj..I have someone thtas selling it to me just making sure it will,work

I have a 05 tj and wanting to know if amcomplete wiring harness off a 98:tj will work on wiring my hardtop?trying to figure ifmthis complete harness will work ..I have the hardtop,with vented sides,,View attachment 123046this ismthe complete harness off a 98 tj..I have someone thtas selling it to me just making sure it will,work

I am no expert on this but I have studied the diagrams quite a bit with the same question. I'd say if you want that older style harness to work you would need to pull the harness apart. All the wires are there, a few will be different colors but not many. You will mainly be good but will need to splice a few wires here and there. You will also need a different 40 Amp fuse and I can't seem to get the washer tank to line up more than 1 bolt so that too will be a challenge. I started down this road but then found a new old stock hardtop kit so I am working on adding that on instead of finishing a harness disassembly to do what you are asking. The weird thing is the NOS kit I found is for a 98-02 TJ and mine is an 04...so I have some differences to do here as well. Fewer than full harness though. Also, the 100 way connectors changed in 03-06 models and went with something totally different...but its still similar enough that it can be done just more of a head-scratcher figuring out where everything now goes. If I get this done I will put something up on how it went.

Last edited:
You
I am no expert on this but I have studied the diagrams quite a bit with the same question. I'd say if you want that older style harness to work you would need to pull the harness apart. All the wires are there, a few will be different colors but not many. You will mainly be good but will need to splice a few wires here and there. You will also need a different 40 Amp fuse and I can't seem to get the washer tank to line up more than 1 bolt so that too will be a challenge. I started down this road but then found a new old stock hardtop kit so I am working on adding that on instead of finishing a harness disassembly to do what you are asking. The weird thing is the NOS kit I found is for a 98-02 TJ and mine is an 04...so I have some differences to do here as well. Fewer than full harness though. Also, the 100 way connectors changed in 03-06 models and went with something totally different...but its still similar enough that it can be done just more of a head-scratcher figuring out where everything now goes. If I get this done I will put something up on how it went.
[/QUOTE
Scout paper I ended up not getting the harness..yes the 100 pin connectors did change to 60 I believe in like 03 and up.plus the guy never could figure out the wires I needed so I said heck with it..so now all I want to do is run only the defroster..I have purchased the toggle switches I need ,just need to figure out how to wire up defroster,,and if I need a timed relay?

Last summer I wired the rear wiper on my 1998 TJ SE.
1. I added an auxiliary fuse box, tapping into a vacant slot in factory box that was live only when key turned on. This then served for rear wiper, fog lights and I have one circuit left.
2. Ordered a plug set matching the plug on the hard top and figured out which wires wiper used. Did this by testing with a battery. The wiper motor on my hard top had off, constant, no intermittent.
3. Bought a turn style wiper switch and mounted left of steering column below light switch, it was handy for me.
4. Got some bulk extension cord type wire and routed it neatly to rear, connected to plug, attached a ground in the back.

Works good. Seemed WAY easier than the whole wiring harness, body and dash, option.

Reactions: SrBob
I have just done this my 1997 tj did not come stock with a hard top. So I bought the under dash harness and was able to easily wire the Tun part myself. I had the plug that went to the hard top and the original plugs from the jeep I got the top from. I de pinned the hardtop plugs for the 100 way connector and put them In the current missing spots with my stock harness. I then just connected the wired at the 100 way conector to the hard top plug. The brown/pink wires can be wired together it dose not matter with one goes where. The black is a ground that is located in the Tub hadness next to the driver seat so I split that loom apart and spliced my ground to it. The dome light was spliced from the sound bar dome light which is the pink/white and the yellow wires. Besides those wires all I did was splice from 100 way connected to hardtop. The only other things I did was put a relay in the pdc in slot R10 and a fuse in slot 15. This is the fuse box diagram I used to determine which fuse slots powered what. https://fuse-box.info/jeep/jeep-wrangler-tj-1997-2006-fuses-and-relays

Reactions: Scoutmapper
Last summer I wired the rear wiper on my 1998 TJ SE.
1. I added an auxiliary fuse box, tapping into a vacant slot in factory box that was live only when key turned on. This then served for rear wiper, fog lights and I have one circuit left.
2. Ordered a plug set matching the plug on the hard top and figured out which wires wiper used. Did this by testing with a battery. The wiper motor on my hard top had off, constant, no intermittent.
3. Bought a turn style wiper switch and mounted left of steering column below light switch, it was handy for me.
4. Got some bulk extension cord type wire and routed it neatly to rear, connected to plug, attached a ground in the back.

Works good. Seemed WAY easier than the whole wiring harness, body and dash, option.
Where do I order a plug set from for a 98 , this would be easier. Use factory rocker switch on dash bezel maybe

My 99 was a rag top, got the hard top off a punk who lived three doors down after they repoed his shit. Yes get the harness. Its actually a kit. New bottle with two diaphram motors and comes with the factory switch.

Jeep discontinued the manufacturing of the hardtop wiring kits a few years ago. Those kits made adding rear wiper and defogger to a Jeep that didn't have a hardtop from the factory easy. Your best bet is to either find a new old stock kit if you are lucky, or get wires off of a salvage Jeep which is what I did. You could also try to make your own harness but its much more involved.

My 2001 Wrangler does not have the harness for the hard top, but I would like to make the rear wiper work. Can I wire it up with a switch?
My tj 2004 soft top. Bought 1998 hard top had the harness and wiper motor with it just the rear harness. Hot wire from battery to plug on wiper to determine what wire turned it on ,also ground wire from battery to wiper motor wanted to make sure i had a good ground. One wire will be power, could be 2 speed motor . By the drivers seat had to cut the 98 plug off couldn use with 2004 . Make notes of colors ofwires at motor. Ran hot wire from battery again to wires I cut by the drivers seat to make sure they were working. Hot wire from fuse panel with inline fuse To relay to factory rocker switch. Did have to buy washer with pump in it holes did line up . From the pump to the rocker switch . Rocker switch two position wash and wiper on. Did not figure out how to light rocker switch , maybe this spring . You will have extra wires u will not be using could be for heated rear window which I don’t have (yet). Draw a picture of wiring follow it especially if you stop and come back in a couple of days you will forget we’re the heck you were. Good luck not hard relay was a little confusing. You tube wiring relays .

My tj 2004 soft top. Bought 1998 hard top had the harness and wiper motor with it just the rear harness. Hot wire from battery to plug on wiper to determine what wire turned it on ,also ground wire from battery to wiper motor wanted to make sure i had a good ground. One wire will be power, could be 2 speed motor . By the drivers seat had to cut the 98 plug off couldn use with 2004 . Make notes of colors ofwires at motor. Ran hot wire from battery again to wires I cut by the drivers seat to make sure they were working. Hot wire from fuse panel with inline fuse To relay to factory rocker switch. Did have to buy washer with pump in it holes did line up . From the pump to the rocker switch . Rocker switch two position wash and wiper on. Did not figure out how to light rocker switch , maybe this spring . You will have extra wires u will not be using could be for heated rear window which I don’t have (yet). Draw a picture of wiring follow it especially if you stop and come back in a couple of days you will forget we’re the heck you were. Good luck not hard relay was a little confusing. You tube wiring relays .

Jeep tj 2004 non factory rear view mirror with temp an compass. Wiring for that mirror is under front panel on dash next to windshield. If I can find oem mirror will make an attempt to install.