Can you combine a spring spacer lift with a suspension lift kit?

Raymond Cifelli

Hi i just bought a 97 TJ with a 2" spring spacer lift kit already installed. i would like to go 5"-6" total lift.
Can i add a spring lift to make up the difference?
any info would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, you can indeed. You'll need longer shocks as well (obviously).

X2, but why? If you're going to buy longer springs why not just buy the total length you want?

I don't get it either.

If you were going through the effort of buying new springs, I'd just buy them in the length you want and ditch the spring spacers altogether.

Reactions: CodaMan
Hi i just bought a 97 TJ with a 2" spring spacer lift kit already installed. i would like to go 5"-6" total lift.
Can i add a spring lift to make up the difference?
any info would be greatly appreciated.
Why so much lift? What are you going to do about the rear drive shaft angles?

Yes, you can stack spacers on top of lift coils. Just watch out for coil bind. If you are adding bump stop extension to prevent coil bind, then just buy the right size coils.

The only way a spacer will effect the ride is if they induce coil bind or if they reduce the shock's down travel to the point where the Jeep is picking the axle up as it rebounds after an impact. Both of these problems are remedied by adding bump stop and changing to an appropriately sized shock, respectively.

Last edited:
Reactions: Imapepper
The local 4 wheel drive shop had a tj there working on it . It had a 2 inch spacer and a 4 inch coil spring lift. The shop was trying to take out the wobble and get it to ride good. That particular jeep had to remove all spacers and lift and start over with a 6 inch lift. Never could get it right . Thats not ever one just that one. The guy was set on running 35s

Fwiw, mine is currently running Currie 4" springs with a 1" spacer in the rear.

In the past, I have run various combinations of 2-3" coils with .75-1.75" spacers. The spacer has never had an effect on the ride.

Thank you for all the info.
i'm going to take the spacers out and start from scratch.
I'll suggest that to do this kind of clever spring/spacer/shock juggling well, you need to understand how to extend the bump stops by removing the coils and cycling the axles with a floor jack. It really takes the mystery out of how all the pieces fit together.

Reactions: AndyG and Imapepper
35" tires as is as big as should be installed if you have the optional (extra-cost) stronger rear Dana 44 axle and a 4" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift is ideal for 35" tires. 6" is too tall of a suspension lift for a TJ.

If your rear axle is the standard Dana 35, you should run nothing taller than a 33" tall tire with a 3" suspension lift plus 1" body lift being ideal. The standard Dana 35 rear axle is not strong enough for 35" tires.

Reactions: jjvw
I bought my 97 TJ with a homemade metal coil spacer lift (around 1.25" I think) attached to it.
I'm not 100% sure it was welded to it, but it wasn't coming off easily - so it's stayed attached ever since.

I've since installed an Ole Man Emu HD spring lift (approx 2.5"-3") and a 1.25" JKS body lift.
(There was also an unintentional raise in the rear when the Ford 8.8 Artec Trussed rear axle was installed.)
(also SYE-CV and 35" tires in summer, with a front HP Dana 30 - doesn't necessarily affect the ride, but required to run larger tires safely)

With Fox shocks, upper/lower adjustable control arms and adjustable front/back trackbars, the ride has never been better.
(When I had Rancho 5000-something (the crappy ones) shocks and only upper adjustable control arms - it rode very rough).

Then again, aside from being in other people's Jeeps, I've never driven my Jeep without a coil spacer installed...but I'm quite happy with my setup as it is now.

I have the same suspension (2.5” OME with 1.25” body lift) on my LJ. If I added a 1” spacer all around would I be safe with 35”s? Dana 44 should be fine? I’m on 33”s right and I’m going to re-gear soon so I’m thinking about what possibilities would be practical here. Not interest in going long arm so if that’s necessary I’ll stay with 33”s and gear appropriately. Thanks for your input.....

I have the same suspension (2.5” OME with 1.25” body lift) on my LJ. If I added a 1” spacer all around would I be safe with 35”s? Dana 44 should be fine? I’m on 33”s right and I’m going to re-gear soon so I’m thinking about what possibilities would be practical here. Not interest in going long arm so if that’s necessary I’ll stay with 33”s and gear appropriately. Thanks for your input.....

Not really enough lift for 35s , but as longs as your shocks are the correct length and your bump stops are set correctly it's doable.

Reactions: Steel City 06
You will probably want all of the other components that go with a 3.5-4" lift. Meaning adjustable control arms, adjustable trackbars, maybe a Double Cardan driveshaft, etc. You might already have some of these; I'm not familiar with what the OME lift provides.

Although, you do have an LJ, which is a little more forgiving in terms of driveline vibrations. So you might not have any issues.

So it can absolutely be done, but if you don't have a lot already, you might end up just building a 4" lift, and might be better off with a kit (short arm is fine).

Most people go with 5-5.5" of total lift (body plus suspension) for 35s, so while 4.75 is a little lower, it's not unreasonable.