Canadian Survivor 2006 Sport

I am fairly sure that Currie 4" on a very light TJ will result in more than 4". Mine with a winch, spare and small bumpers gets right about 4". I would encourage Currie simply because their solid heights won't require it's own bump stop extension before other things and the free lengths are appropriate for long travel shocks on relocated mounts.

I know very little about RK coils except for their triple rate marketing silliness. I wouldn't mind knowing the solid and free lengths, purely out of curiosity.

If the concern is about the ride, stop looking at the springs and focus on shocks. And don't use Bilstein 5100 on a TJ unless you are after a jittery ride. Especially on a lightweight TJ.

Update - The old TJ is sleeping in a heated garage for the winter here in the rust belt. I planned to do some spring and shock upgrades this winter but another Volkswagen project I have been working on is using the funds.
IMG_4121.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

Woke the Jeep up for another season last month. Oil changed and a quick check over on the hoist and it was good to go.

Just ordered some Bilstein 5100's for it yesterday so I'll take some photos of the install when they arrive. Time to slowly upgrade some RC parts lol.

IMG_6449.JPG

IMG_6836.JPG

IMG_6850.JPG

IMG_6837.JPG

IMG_6855.JPG

IMG_6838.JPG

This is one clean looking TJ. Can I ask what you used to strip the rust from the frame and axle housings? I am currently in the process of wiping out fiber wheels faster than I can buy them.... Planning on doing the same POR 15 3 step after.

This is one clean looking TJ. Can I ask what you used to strip the rust from the frame and axle housings? I am currently in the process of wiping out fiber wheels faster than I can buy them.... Planning on doing the same POR 15 3 step after.

My frame itself wasn't too rusty. Some surface rust here and there under the undercoating. I wire wheeled these areas that had rust and then I just sanded the whole frame with a DA and like 220 grit. Then applied the POR metal prep and started painting.

Now for the axles, mine were pretty rusty. I just wire wheeled them best I could as they have new ball joints and seals and bearings and I didn't want to take them apart. If you want to take them apart obviously the best bet would be to sand blast. By far the best way to prep the rusty surface for paint.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
My frame itself wasn't too rusty. Some surface rust here and there under the undercoating. I wire wheeled these areas that had rust and then I just sanded the whole frame with a DA and like 220 grit. Then applied the POR metal prep and started painting.

Now for the axles, mine were pretty rusty. I just wire wheeled them best I could as they have new ball joints and seals and bearings and I didn't want to take them apart. If you want to take them apart obviously the best bet would be to sand blast. By far the best way to prep the rusty surface for paint.

Nice, thanks. I just got a pair of axles with 4.10s to replace my 3.07s and they are in rough shape on the outside. I haven't started on the frame yet, but mine isn't bad at all, most of my prep is going in these axles as well.

Woke the Jeep up for another season last month. Oil changed and a quick check over on the hoist and it was good to go.

Just ordered some Bilstein 5100's for it yesterday so I'll take some photos of the install when they arrive. Time to slowly upgrade some RC parts lol.

View attachment 161014
View attachment 161015
View attachment 161018
View attachment 161016
View attachment 161019
View attachment 161017
Love seeing this Jeep. Just curious, why the Bilstein’s over the Rancho RS5000x shocks?

Reactions: freebo86
View attachment 95037
Hello from Prince Edward Island, Canada. I figured I would start a thread on the Wrangler forum to keep track of the progress on my TJ over the years, and to dump photos of its recent facelift. :D

I bought this 2006 TJ sport in July of 2016 from a local Kia dealer. The Jeep had 93,000kms on it (57,000miles) and had never been driven off road. Its PSB silver, with dual tops, Dana 44 rear axle w/ 3.73 gearing. NSG 370 6 speed and, at the time it had the option 30" tire package.

If any of you are familiar with the kind of weather we have here in Atlantic Canada in the winter, most vehicles are pretty well rust buckets after 10 years unless they have been undercoated heavily and or well looked after. Fortunately this TJ was not rotten, the frame was rust check undercoated since 2008 yearly and other then a rotten windshield frame giving it a rejected sticker, it was basically mint. All the plastic moldings and such were faded and the Jeep was coated in undercoating from top to bottom. Some cleaning, plastic paint, etc and I had it looking much better after a few days of ownership.

Originally this Jeep was bought with the intent of being a winter daily driver and that is what I did with it for the first 2 years. Threw on 31x10.5 Duratrac's and some Pro comp polished alloys and drove it about 35,000kms over the couple years. Below is how it looked when I took it home from the dealer, and then once it was cleaned up for the next couple years.

View attachment 95040
View attachment 95038
View attachment 95039

Fast forward to this past fall 2018 and I decided to retire the TJ from daily use and just make it a fun summer cruiser. With this, came a pretty significant face lift. Starting with a full respray in September. This respray happened due to multiple touch ups ending in bad color matches, bubbling front fenders, etc. I stripped it down and had a local friend respray it. It turned out great. Any rust was blasted, new front fenders were installed.

View attachment 95041
View attachment 95042
View attachment 95043
View attachment 95044
View attachment 95045
View attachment 95046
View attachment 95047
View attachment 95048

At this point winter was upon us and it went into my friends shop for me to spend the winter giving it the second half of its facelift. The jeep was placed on jack stands and I gutted the entire suspension system and all of the axles from it, as well as the front clip. The frame was pressure washed and scrubbed to remove the years of Canadian salt, road grime, and undercoating. Interestingly enough once I started cleaning off the undercoating I found the brake lines, fuel lines, fittings etc to be all like new condition. I painted the frame from front to back with POR15 following all the proper steps, then top coated it with VHT semi gloss chassis paint.

View attachment 95051
View attachment 95052
View attachment 95053
View attachment 95054
View attachment 95055
View attachment 95057
View attachment 95058
View attachment 95060
View attachment 95061
View attachment 95062
View attachment 95086
View attachment 95063

Next part of the process was the SYE and lift. Everything is Rough Country (I know). I started with a 3.25" kit, but should have just bought a 4" X series kit. I ended up with some 1.25" spacers to make it a 3.75" suspension lift, front and rear adjustable track bars, all eight adjustable control arms, SYE kit and rear CV shaft.

View attachment 95087
View attachment 95088
View attachment 95089

Also did the rear main seal, a new oil pan and gasket, Flowmaster super 44 rear muffler, and some other small mods during this process. Axles were all refreshed and painted as well as new 33x12.5 BFG KM3's.

View attachment 95090View attachment 95091View attachment 95092View attachment 95093View attachment 95094View attachment 95095View attachment 95096View attachment 95097View attachment 95098View attachment 95099View attachment 95101View attachment 95102View attachment 95103View attachment 95104View attachment 95105View attachment 95106View attachment 95107View attachment 95109View attachment 95110View attachment 95111

At this point it was off to the alignment shop and ready for the road!

View attachment 95127View attachment 95123View attachment 95114View attachment 95115View attachment 95116View attachment 95117View attachment 95118View attachment 95119View attachment 95120View attachment 95121View attachment 95122View attachment 95124View attachment 95125

Headlights are just stock 2014 JK, fogs are KC HiLites. Very sorry for the mass amount of photos, thank you for viewing. :cool:
Nice job !

Love seeing this Jeep. Just curious, why the Bilstein’s over the Rancho RS5000x shocks?

You're going to hate this response but, aesthetics. :LOL: I looked at the Rancho's which are actually a better deal and have good reviews, but I wanted the aluminum body shiny 5100's haha. I've driven on them before and I think I'll be happy with the upgrade from RC N3's.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Update - The old TJ is sleeping in a heated garage for the winter here in the rust belt. I planned to do some spring and shock upgrades this winter but another Volkswagen project I have been working on is using the funds.View attachment 138743

View attachment 138744

I spied a cabby in a previous photo. 16v?i have a friend building one right now with a wild turbo setup. He also has a boosted vr6

I spied a cabby in a previous photo. 16v?i have a friend building one right now with a wild turbo setup. He also has a boosted vr6

You spied my cousin's 82 Rabbit Pickup yep. Its a full restore that was in a field. Currently has a 1.9TD AAZ in it, but he's going to eventually convert it to an ALH. My other summer daily driver along with the Jeep is an 04 Jetta GLI 24v VR6.

Volkswagen's were/are my my main hobby besides the Jeep haha. I know this is off topic but here's a few photos for the VW guys here. His 82 Pickup, my old 92 Jetta AHU 254whp/411ftlb's, and my 04 GLI VR6.

Screenshot_2020-05-14 Mike Rowledge ( sketchwerks) • Instagram photos and videos.png

Screenshot_2020-05-14 Mike Rowledge ( sketchwerks) • Instagram photos and videos(1).png

Screenshot_2020-05-14 Mike Rowledge ( sketchwerks) • Instagram photos and videos(4).png

Screenshot_2020-05-14 Mike Rowledge ( sketchwerks) • Instagram photos and videos(3).png

Screenshot_2020-05-14 Mike Rowledge ( sketchwerks) • Instagram photos and videos(2).png

Reactions: Vasq
That cabby is beautiful. I have a soft spot for mk1&2 although my fav one I owned was a VR corrado. Would still love another rabbit gti, although my wife is wanting a westy, so once the Jeep is complete to a point in the next 2 years I will move on to that project. And do a diesel swap into it, although I see the 2.5 Subaru setup is becoming popular is air cooled setups.

back to regular scheduled programming ;-)

You're going to hate this response but, aesthetics. :LOL: I looked at the Rancho's which are actually a better deal and have good reviews, but I wanted the aluminum body shiny 5100's haha. I've driven on them before and I think I'll be happy with the upgrade from RC N3's.
I totally understand. I have the same draw towards the Bilsteins and the Fox shocks for that same reason, they do look good.

View attachment 95037
Hello from Prince Edward Island, Canada. I figured I would start a thread on the Wrangler forum to keep track of the progress on my TJ over the years, and to dump photos of its recent facelift. :D

I bought this 2006 TJ sport in July of 2016 from a local Kia dealer. The Jeep had 93,000kms on it (57,000miles) and had never been driven off road. Its PSB silver, with dual tops, Dana 44 rear axle w/ 3.73 gearing. NSG 370 6 speed and, at the time it had the option 30" tire package.

If any of you are familiar with the kind of weather we have here in Atlantic Canada in the winter, most vehicles are pretty well rust buckets after 10 years unless they have been undercoated heavily and or well looked after. Fortunately this TJ was not rotten, the frame was rust check undercoated since 2008 yearly and other then a rotten windshield frame giving it a rejected sticker, it was basically mint. All the plastic moldings and such were faded and the Jeep was coated in undercoating from top to bottom. Some cleaning, plastic paint, etc and I had it looking much better after a few days of ownership.

Originally this Jeep was bought with the intent of being a winter daily driver and that is what I did with it for the first 2 years. Threw on 31x10.5 Duratrac's and some Pro comp polished alloys and drove it about 35,000kms over the couple years. Below is how it looked when I took it home from the dealer, and then once it was cleaned up for the next couple years.

View attachment 95040
View attachment 95038
View attachment 95039

Fast forward to this past fall 2018 and I decided to retire the TJ from daily use and just make it a fun summer cruiser. With this, came a pretty significant face lift. Starting with a full respray in September. This respray happened due to multiple touch ups ending in bad color matches, bubbling front fenders, etc. I stripped it down and had a local friend respray it. It turned out great. Any rust was blasted, new front fenders were installed.

View attachment 95041
View attachment 95042
View attachment 95043
View attachment 95044
View attachment 95045
View attachment 95046
View attachment 95047
View attachment 95048

At this point winter was upon us and it went into my friends shop for me to spend the winter giving it the second half of its facelift. The jeep was placed on jack stands and I gutted the entire suspension system and all of the axles from it, as well as the front clip. The frame was pressure washed and scrubbed to remove the years of Canadian salt, road grime, and undercoating. Interestingly enough once I started cleaning off the undercoating I found the brake lines, fuel lines, fittings etc to be all like new condition. I painted the frame from front to back with POR15 following all the proper steps, then top coated it with VHT semi gloss chassis paint.

View attachment 95051
View attachment 95052
View attachment 95053
View attachment 95054
View attachment 95055
View attachment 95057
View attachment 95058
View attachment 95060
View attachment 95061
View attachment 95062
View attachment 95086
View attachment 95063

Next part of the process was the SYE and lift. Everything is Rough Country (I know). I started with a 3.25" kit, but should have just bought a 4" X series kit. I ended up with some 1.25" spacers to make it a 3.75" suspension lift, front and rear adjustable track bars, all eight adjustable control arms, SYE kit and rear CV shaft.

View attachment 95087
View attachment 95088
View attachment 95089

Also did the rear main seal, a new oil pan and gasket, Flowmaster super 44 rear muffler, and some other small mods during this process. Axles were all refreshed and painted as well as new 33x12.5 BFG KM3's.

View attachment 95090View attachment 95091View attachment 95092View attachment 95093View attachment 95094View attachment 95095View attachment 95096View attachment 95097View attachment 95098View attachment 95099View attachment 95101View attachment 95102View attachment 95103View attachment 95104View attachment 95105View attachment 95106View attachment 95107View attachment 95109View attachment 95110View attachment 95111

At this point it was off to the alignment shop and ready for the road!

View attachment 95127View attachment 95123View attachment 95114View attachment 95115View attachment 95116View attachment 95117View attachment 95118View attachment 95119View attachment 95120View attachment 95121View attachment 95122View attachment 95124View attachment 95125

Headlights are just stock 2014 JK, fogs are KC HiLites. Very sorry for the mass amount of photos, thank you for viewing. :cool:
Congrats !!!
Aaaawesome looking rig
- I didn’t finish reading, cause as soon as I seen these rims I had to write you

where did you get these rims ?!?!?

Out west ,here in BC, our tire shops tell me they’re discontinued ( of course I haven’t tried online )

thx for your time

Rim :
size 15”
8” wide
Lug Bolt pattern 5 on 4.5 ( TJ/LJ )

DETOUR
—•|||||•—👋🏿

“ goin the xtra mile - it’s never crowded “

Congrats !!!
Aaaawesome looking rig
- I didn’t finish reading, cause as soon as I seen these rims I had to write you

where did you get these rims ?!?!?

Out west ,here in BC, our tire shops tell me they’re discontinued ( of course I haven’t tried online )

thx for your time

Rim :
size 15”
8” wide
Lug Bolt pattern 5 on 4.5 ( TJ/LJ )

DETOUR
—•|||||•—👋🏿

“ goin the xtra mile - it’s never crowded “

Thank you very much! The rims are just Pro Comp 1069's in 15x8. Still available.

Here is a link to them on the Canadian 4 Wheel Parts site. They have a stores across Canada.

https://www.4wheelparts.ca/p/pro-co...pattern-polished-1069-5865/_/R-BKBQ-1069-5865

Got the 5100's installed a few months ago and the ride quality seems to be quite a bit better then stock. My Jeep weighs in pretty light (about 3650lbs or so) but the Bilsteins still seem to absorb everything.
IMG_7082.JPG
IMG_7083.JPG