Can't find my coolant leak

Rycc449

99 TJ 60k miles

I can't seem to find this coolant leak, tried UV die, etc.

Replaced coolant lines, one drop on the bell housing. Any ideas?

Any yes I need to replace my rear main seal :)

20200531_181107.jpg

Pressure test the coolant system. Its likely the only way to get it leak if its just a drip. Ironically it’s usually the most reliable way of diagnosing, if done correctly.

Reactions: Daryl
If it's not leaking somewhere forward on the motor and running backward (which is entirely possible) it's probably that freeze plug mentioned above. Nothing else back there to leak unless the head gasket is super blown, and you'd probably know that already. Like was said above, pressure test it. Go to the parts store, rent a kit and pick up a bottle of degreaser. Stop at the wand wash on the way home and clean off the motor real good. Drive enough to dry everything on the way home. Let it cool then test it.

And fwiw, I had a slight drip there after my motor rebuild and was pretty distraught since the only fix involved separating the motor/tranny. I tried GM coolant sealing tabs and they worked great. It's not the same as some of the things they sell at the parts store that can potentially clog up your system. I'm sure you'll still get some people who will say it'll clog everything up (without ever having used either but hey, internet knowledge). GM ran those from the factory in every car of certain makes for years, so that should tell you something.

Reactions: fooey
Thanks everyone. I haven't tried to pressure test, just UV Dye with little luck... I was concerned about head gasket, but really there are no symptoms and it only has 60K miles on this 4.0.

I'll pump'er up and take another run at it.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Looks like it has leaked at one point, have you pressurize the system because if it is leaking it should show up.

Cold leakdown test shows no leaks, holding pressure no problem.

My only thought at this point is water pump weaping after the vehicle is hot and sits in the garage, coolant traveling to the back of the oil pan and collecting on the bell housing.

Any other ideas?