Can't remove rear driveshaft

jazz-n-tj

TJ Enthusiast
Seems like it should be a simple fix. I am trying to replace my rear seal on my SYE. I removed the caps for the front of the drive shaft that holds it to the yoke on the SYE. They drive shaft would not budge. So I tried taking the caps off the rear of the driveshaft. Still it won't budge. From what I believe the driveshaft should be able to move in and out of itself. I have a feeling that the driveshaft is seized on itself. I have tried penetrating oil on it and a pry bar between the drive shaft and the rear yoke to break it free but it still won't budge. Am I missing something? Or does anyone else have any ideas?

IMG_1149.jpeg

The driveshaft is likely just in need of a good nudge to get it to compress. Stick a pry-bar, big screwdriver, 1/2" ratchet wrench handle, etc. between the axle's yoke and rear u-joint and push/pry it apart between there.

Reactions: EzPeezy
So I finally got it out. Now my next question is when I go to re-install it, how am I to get it to pull out and be the correct length again? It took a bunch of leverage to shorten it enough how am I to lengthen it? I know the tiny bolts for the caps will not be able to lengthen it. Advice?

Edit*
Could the driveshaft be bad? Could the splines be twisted? I'm just wondering things that I am seeing online when googling seized driveshaft.

Last edited:
I'm trying to work it in and out. I have sprayed a bunch of penetrating oil inside the splines to see if it will unseize it. I am assuming it should move in and out freely like the front driveshaft did when I replaced the front pinion seal and had to remove the driveshaft from the front. It compressed and expanded very easily.

So I finally got it out. Now my next question is when I go to re-install it, how am I to get it to pull out and be the correct length again? It took a bunch of leverage to shorten it enough how am I to lengthen it? I know the tiny bolts for the caps will not be able to lengthen it. Advice?

Edit*
Could the driveshaft be bad? Could the splines be twisted? I'm just wondering things that I am seeing online when googling seized driveshaft.
The splines are there to allow it to be whatever length it needs to be. It's not uncommon for them to be gritty in the splines and need cleaning out and/or just some fresh grease.

Just know if you end up pulling the driveshaft apart into two pieces, intentionally or accidentally, it'd be a good idea to mark both halves where they join now so you can get them together again so they're not out of position with each other.

Reactions: EzPeezy
I would probably stand it on end, fill the spline with penetrating oil and let it sit overnight. And be sure to mark the shaft as Jerry said.

@TJ4Jim that is what I have done. I have already stood it up on end and filled the splines with penetrating oil.

@Jerry Bransford Do you you recommend what I have done and what TJ4Jim suggested? My driveshaft does not have any grease fittings.

Lastly, I will go now and mark the drive shaft to ensure I can get it lined up incase I separate it into 2 pieces.

Reactions: TJ4Jim
I would probably stand it on end, fill the spline with penetrating oil and let it sit overnight. And be sure to mark the shaft as Jerry said.
I'd pull it apart just enough to clean the splines up a little and apply some fresh grease. Grease is tacky so it's not unusual for a greased splined shaft like that to be sticky.

@Jerry Bransford The issue is at the moment, it is completely seized up and there is no way for me to pull it apart. My first task is to get it to loosen up so that I can move it in and out.

@Jerry Bransford The issue is at the moment, it is completely seized up and there is no way for me to pull it apart. My first task is to get it to loosen up so that I can move it in and out.
They can be sticky, don't be afraid to put your weight against it or pull it outward with some muscle. Old grease can be very sticky. I'd put my weight on it to compress it which should break the bond of the old grease. Then pull it apart enough to clean the splines where it normally goes together. You may need to put your big-boy pants on here, don't be afraid to use some muscle to get it moving. :)

Haha, Jerry, I trust me I am putting all my weight on it and pulling as hard as I can. I wish I could say the issue is me being to "delicate" with it. I guess I'll let the penetrating oil soak overnight and try tomorrow.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Haha, Jerry, I trust me I am putting all my weight on it and pulling as hard as I can. I wish I could say the issue is me being to "delicate" with it. I guess I'll let the penetrating oil soak overnight and try tomorrow.
Got a hi lift? Could be an actual opportunity to use it. Carefully.

Aim a hair dryer or a heat gun on low heat at the driveshaft where the two halves meet, warm it up good to soften up the old grease.

Hang the axle up so the heavier end is hanging down. Use real rope. Not just baler twine. If you have a teen son there is a bunch of lift weights hanging around somewhere. Dangle them from the bottom of the shaft. Be sure there is only like 4" or less between the weights and the floor. Alternately you could just make a foot loop hanging from the bottom. Again, 4" max between the loop and the floor. Stick a foot in and apply your weight. Either of these should get that spline shaft to move. Once it does be sure to get the splines lubed and able to slide easily before you stick it back in.

I have tried all the suggestions above. I have tried hitting it with a 4 lbs sledgehammer, warming it (I called Adams and the cautioned me about because if the blue Teflon coating breaks down it will ruin the shaft), I have hung it from my garage and hung myself from the lower portion of the drive shaft. Still not budging. I am starting to think this driveshaft is toast.

With that said, if I do go need to purchase a new driveshaft, I see a lot of people talking about Adams and Tom Woods. Is there a preference? They are close in price. When I called Adams, they said I can either get greaseable or sealed and the rep told me most people get the sealed ones. I live in So Cal so I don't deal with mud too often. I also liked that they said I would have the driveshaft within a week of ordering.

Reactions: TJ4Jim
I've bought several from Adams with no issues, and you'll hear the same about Tom Woods. Your choice.
I always get the non-grease able ujoints. They seem to last longer, believe it or not, and are stronger since they don't have holes drilled though them.