Car pics too cool not to share

The early ones actually had wooden bumpers (oak?), so this isn't some redneck example.
1647525386158.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BlueC and srimes
And the same company also made these. Can you make out the script on the fuel tank? ;)

I can zoom in. That's actually a new one for me. I've heard of Powell mini bikes, but had no idea they made a truck. I can't say it's pretty, but it's interesting, especially those pull-out tray tubes.

Reactions: Squatch
I can zoom in. That's actually a new one for me. I've heard of Powell mini bikes, but had no idea they made a truck. I can't say it's pretty, but it's interesting, especially those pull-out tray tubes.
Google 'em. The read on what actually comprised the build of the Powell trucks is fascinating to me. Could never get away with it these days!

Wow. I'm not sure what to think about those trucks. Interesting. Government bureaucrats today would have fits over something like that. I say we bring 'em back for that reason alone. :LOL:

"... they started building pickups in the mid-Fifties based on available Plymouth and Dodge chassis and drivetrains. The pickups were first assembled in 1954 on stripped and rebuilt 1940 and '41 Plymouth sedan chassis with inline 201-cubic-inch six-cylinder Mopar engines and released as 1955 models. Each truck was assembled from available chassis and engines, so many Powell pickups are unique. Some models used varying years of Plymouth engines, while others used Dodge and even a few Chrysler industrial engines. Early models featured an all-steel body with a fiberglass nose. They used oak bumpers and tailgates until they were deemed unsafe, and metal pieces were added on later models. The chrome horizontal grille bars were borrowed from a 1950 Ford sedan rear door. The dashboard was also built around a stock Plymouth instrument cluster. A few late-production 1956 trucks used a steering wheel from a Henry J instead of the standard Plymouth wheel."
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1956-powell-pickup-trucks

• USA Proud
Reactions: Squatch
Wow. I'm not sure what to think about those trucks. Interesting. Government bureaucrats today would have fits over something like that. I say we bring 'em back for that reason alone. :LOL:

"... they started building pickups in the mid-Fifties based on available Plymouth and Dodge chassis and drivetrains. The pickups were first assembled in 1954 on stripped and rebuilt 1940 and '41 Plymouth sedan chassis with inline 201-cubic-inch six-cylinder Mopar engines and released as 1955 models. Each truck was assembled from available chassis and engines, so many Powell pickups are unique. Some models used varying years of Plymouth engines, while others used Dodge and even a few Chrysler industrial engines. Early models featured an all-steel body with a fiberglass nose. They used oak bumpers and tailgates until they were deemed unsafe, and metal pieces were added on later models. The chrome horizontal grille bars were borrowed from a 1950 Ford sedan rear door. The dashboard was also built around a stock Plymouth instrument cluster. A few late-production 1956 trucks used a steering wheel from a Henry J instead of the standard Plymouth wheel."
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1956-powell-pickup-trucks
Yup. Fascinating stuff! :)

I've actually seen two of the pickups for sale in Washington state (two different sellers). One was close to being a driver, and the other was definitely more of a project (think "field car" status). The styling general appearance is almost funny to me, but man do I love those storage/tool bins! And like you, most people have never even heard of 'em before. Can you imagine going into a parts store and requesting a fuel pump for your '56 Powell? :LOL:

Reactions: BlueC
I'm very familiar with the blank stare that would ensue. :oops: :LOL:
Yeah... I get that stare a lot with the motorhome. I generally "fib" and tell them I'm working on a 78 Toronado. That usually gets me what I need, unless I'm working on something other than the engine or front suspension.

Anybody recognize these? I've only seen a few in person at special events. Pretty rare to see one in the wild.

View attachment 316355
View attachment 316356 View attachment 316357

That first Hudson is a 1937. Hudson added the grill louvers because of overheating issues from the 1936 grill.
Here's one from 1936 that's been somewhat customized. I took these pictures in 2006 and used Terraplane when naming them but it might be a Hudson. They were almost the same cars and most parts were interchangeable. Originally the centered sections of the grille were chrome (maybe stainless or nickel? IDK), while the outer outer sections were body color.
1936 Terraplane001.JPG

Looking at those tires and wheels it's hard to tell what kind of drivetrain is under there. Looking at the engine makes it more questionable
1936 Terraplane003.JPG

The red truck in the second picture could be a 1938 Hudson but it might be a Hudson Terraplane. The Terraplane started out as the Essex Terraplane in 1932 and 1933, switched to just Terraplane in 1934 and became a Hudson model in 1938, its last year. Here's another 1938 Hudson that was somewhat customized at the same show.

Terraplane 38 001.JPG

And its engine:
Terraplane 38 004.JPG

Same car one year later:
PICT0076.JPG

I'm guessing that third Hudson Truck picture is 1947. The hood emblem looks just a little too tall to be a 1946 Hudson and the pre war Hudsons didn't have the recesses in the center of the grill.