Car pics too cool not to share

1651057188536.png

1651057250994.png

The original Chevy 427 in the Z-11 cars. (I've seen this car in person) :cool:
1651067156441.png

1651067180063.png

The 427 "Mystery Motor" that I posted above, and run in Jr Johnsons car. (I've seen that car in person too)
1651067274849.png

1651067532667.png

The standard issue 427 Chevy in everything else. (excluding heavy trucks)
1651067410572.png

Isn't that second pic a W-motor?

The 409 block? Yes, that would be a factory RPO Z-11 option car and engine. ('63 only) The 50ish Z-11 Impalas were factory ringers with aluminum front clips, aluminum bumpers and brackets, other weight saving stuff, and a 409 block stroked to 427 ci running 13.5:1 compression. (somewhere around 500 hp) It was Chevy's answer to the Max Wedge cars.

The 409 block? Yes, that would be a factory RPO Z-11 option car and engine. ('63 only) The 50ish Z-11 Impalas were factory ringers with aluminum front clips, aluminum bumpers and brackets, other weight saving stuff, and a 409 block stroked to 427 ci running 13.5:1 compression. (somewhere around 500 hp) It was Chevy's answer to the Max Wedge cars.
Okay, so that's the 427 "Mystery Motor" you were referring to. I wasn't sure, as I've never heard of it before. That's pretty cool, to be able to have a 427, and the good looks of a W-motor, all in one!

I just realized that the first pic is showing it running chrome-reverse wheels. Been years since I even thought about them. My Dad and uncle used to make their own by removing the rivets, turning the centers around, and then welding them back in place. Whether they actually spent the money to have them chromed, or painted them silver, I couldn't tell you, but I do remember them working on the wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueC and Head Lice
Okay, so that's the 427 "Mystery Motor" you were referring to. I wasn't sure, as I've never heard of it before. That's pretty cool, to be able to have a 427, and the good looks of a W-motor, all in one!

Here comes a curveball. The "mystery motor" is unique to itself. It was truly an in between engine. The first pic I posted and the traditional looking BBC engine above the Jr Johnson pic are "mystery motors".

Basically, the W engines (348,409) had breathing issues in the upper RPMs, so Chevy set out to develop a more competitive engine for racing which evolved into the standard big block chevy. Very few, if any, parts will interchange between these engines. The W engines are built on a 74 degree V with unique wide heads, the mystery motors are 110 degree V with a wide intake IIRC, and the standard BBC is 90 degree V that we're all familiar with.

The Z-11 409 engines were RPO factory max-performance engines that could be purchased by anyone who knew and had money (50ish cars were built and about a dozen over-the-counter engines were sold). The "mystery motor" was special development, race team only. I think less than 50 were ever produced.

Also, the Z-11 is a monster. Forged internals, 13.5:1 comp, special ported heads/intake/carb and a cowl induction intake. I've heard 2 run with open exhaust. They are thumpers. ;)

Last edited:
Here comes a curveball. The "mystery motor" is unique to itself. It was truly an in between engine. The first pic I posted and the tradition looking BBC engine above the Jr Johnson pic are "mystery motors".

Basically, the W engines (348,409) had breathing issues in the upper RPMs, so Chevy set out to develop a more competitive engine for racing which evolved into the standard big block chevy. Very few, if any, parts will interchange between these engines. The W engines are built on a 74 degree V with unique wide heads, the mystery motors are 110 degree V with a wide intake IIRC, and the standard BBC is 90 degree V that we're all failure with.

The Z-11 409 engines were RPO factory max-performance engines that could be purchased by anyone who knew and had money (50ish cars were built and about a dozen over-the-counter engines were sold). The "mystery motor" was special development, race team only. I think less than 50 were ever produced.
Wow! Thanks for the education! (y)

Reactions: BlueC