Car pics too cool not to share

1929 DeSoto Deluxe Rumbleseat Coupe

_nc_ohc=qhjnvy8nlpcAX9zJ-tJ&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

What is the black pipe coming off of the compressor side of the intake and running into the block for?

1682600850429.png

67_buick-skylark-gs340-dv-18-sj-01.jpg

There is no disputing that in the late 1960s, Buick, Oldsmobile and Chevrolet were caught off guard with the incredible success of the Pontiac GTO. Often credited as being the original muscle car, the other G.M. divisions had to hustle to grab a piece of the all-important youth market.

For Buick, they would initially follow the same formula by taking a large engine and installing it in the smaller intermediate body Skylark, creating the first G.S. 400 models in 1965. With relative success, Buick found that their efforts were worthwhile, and would later offer yet another car designed to attract a younger buyer.

This 1967 G.S. 340 is a fine example of a performance oriented automobile that would appeal to the budget conscience buyer. With a 340 cubic inch engine that produces 260 horsepower, it offers significant get-up-and-go while not alerting the local insurance agent. Additional trim features include the red steel wheels and accent stripes, and special G.S. hood scoops and trim.

67_Buick_Skylark-DV-13-PVGP_e01.jpg

IIRC from "my" ancient history (we had one at UTI) it is for CCV.

Going strictly off of my memory, and how it was explained to us un-trained-idiots, The supercharger develops more low pressure than the turbo can compensate for except for maybe under WOT and seriously high RMPS*.

Edit:

* 2000 RPM would be considered seriously high

Well from a gearheads point of view it works like this , the 71 series Detroit Diesels are 2 stroke engines. The supercharger ( blower ) is mandatory , the engine can't run at all without it. The blower forces air into the cylinder when the piston drops low enough in the cylinder to uncover intake ports on the cylinder walls. Every crankshaft revolution has intake , compression , power and exhaust.
In order to make additional power the turbo is added just like any other turbo diesel. Old school Detroits were governed at 2100 rpm instead of 1800 like 4 stroke Cats , Cummins , Mack , etc.

Well from a gearheads point of view it works like this , the 71 series Detroit Diesels are 2 stroke engines. The supercharger ( blower ) is mandatory , the engine can't run at all without it. The blower forces air into the cylinder when the piston drops low enough in the cylinder to uncover intake ports on the cylinder walls. Every crankshaft revolution has intake , compression , power and exhaust.
In order to make additional power the turbo is added just like any other turbo diesel. Old school Detroits were governed at 2100 rpm instead of 1800 like 4 stroke Cats , Cummins , Mack , etc.

That's how I understood them to work as well. Lots of old military gensets out there that were non-turbo. They lasted forever!!!
For those that didn't or don't know, here's a pretty good video on how they work...

What is the black pipe coming off of the compressor side of the intake and running into the block for?

View attachment 420046

IDK either. I stared at this for a bit. Looks like turbo AND supercharger? Why you would have a tube from the pressurized intake between the 2 and the crankcase, I'm not sure.

Ok seems my memory is definitely not near as good as I thought... Could have something to do with it being over 30 years ago the last time I laid eyes on a 6-71 Detroit... :unsure:

It would seem, upon further investigation (more pics), that black tube does not connect to the charge tube between the turbo and blower. Gotta love camera angles!!

So I'll venture a guess that it's an oil drain back tube... Could be wrong though!!!
Engines-Detroit-6-71-9921786.jpg

As for the CCV, this is more likely where that lives... Venting to atmosphere through a filter.
Engines-Detroit-6-71-9921788.jpg

And just in case anyone was interested, this baby is for sale for $5500.00 (not a bad price actually even for a used engine)...
These engines will run on just about anything that can burn!!
https://www.mylittlesalesman.com/detroit-6-71-engine-9277392