Car pics too cool not to share

'54 Imperial
1651670660122.png

How many of these '54 Desoto grille pieces (teeth) have found their way onto custom Mercs? :cool:

View attachment 327992

I'm almost surprised that one still has its teeth. I saw a set at the last swap meet. I think the guy wanted $1,500 needing replating (that's expensive :oops:). My dad was thinking hard for his '50, but decided to walk on.

• Wow
Reactions: Squatch
1960 Corvette. This picture was taken in November of 2013. The first time I saw it was the day before I took this picture. Even with the bright sunshine on that day it wasn't clean and shiny and I thought it might have been a barn find that was brought in to hopefully get it running again.

20131106_074848.jpg

After seeing it a couple more random times, I stopped in the shop to ask about it. It turns out it had been owned by an older guy (maybe a doctor?, maybe in his 70s? IDQR) for about 4 decades and he used it as a daily driver as long as there was no snow/ice/salt on the roads. It was on it's 3rd or 4th engine and a similar number of transmissions. I wish I remembered how many times the odometer had flipped to zero. It was at least twice but I'm pretty sure it was three times.

Here it was in May of 2016, somewhat cleaner that time but that was the last time I saw it. :cry:
20160524_081808.jpg

20160524_082115.jpg

And here's some close ups of what any daily driver can collect over decades of use.
Some fiberglass issues:
20160524_082131.jpg

20160524_081900.jpg

20160524_081951.jpg

A couple zoomed into the first picture from 2016:
20160524_081832.jpg

20160524_081808 c.jpg

here's some windshield scratches from the wiper near the chrome trim
20160524_081851.jpg

Here's a nice little dent that would probably drive me nuts but I still would never get fixed.
20160524_081929.jpg

And IDR if the seats are original or reupholstered but either way the guy said it still works and doesn't need fixed yet.
20160524_081923.jpg

I really hate to say it but the last I checked (in 2018) the shop said the owner (or his family) sold it. The shop didn't know to who or where nor were they sure if it would remain in similar condition or be destroyed oops! I meant "restored".

And here's some close ups of what any daily driver can collect over decades of use.
Some fiberglass issues:

Decent looking car, the kind you can drive and now worry about bugs and rain. Looks like all of the "driver" Corvettes I've been around, 'glass always spider cracks with use. Those are high dollar cars, I'm sure it's being restored to some degree.

Reactions: reddvltj
How many of these '54 Desoto grille pieces (teeth) have found their way onto custom Mercs? :cool:

View attachment 327992

Sometime around 1950 my mother was asked in class where Desoto was buried. Her answer was Al Wagner's Garage.

Al Wagner owned the local Desoto dealership at the time. I used to have a picture of an All Wagner's Desoto newspaper ad. Maybe I'll get lucky and find the ad to post here.

1960 Corvette. This picture was taken in November of 2013. The first time I saw it was the day before I took this picture. Even with the bright sunshine on that day it wasn't clean and shiny and I thought it might have been a barn find that was brought in to hopefully get it running again.

View attachment 327987

After seeing it a couple more random times, I stopped in the shop to ask about it. It turns out it had been owned by an older guy (maybe a doctor?, maybe in his 70s? IDQR) for about 4 decades and he used it as a daily driver as long as there was no snow/ice/salt on the roads. It was on it's 3rd or 4th engine and a similar number of transmissions. I wish I remembered how many times the odometer had flipped to zero. It was at least twice but I'm pretty sure it was three times.

Here it was in May of 2016, somewhat cleaner that time but that was the last time I saw it. :cry:
View attachment 327996

View attachment 327997

Some fiberglass issues:
View attachment 327998

View attachment 328001

View attachment 328002

View attachment 328000

View attachment 328008

View attachment 328009

Here's a nice little dent that would probably drive me nuts but I still would never get fixed.
View attachment 328010

And IDR if the seats are original or reupholstered but either way the guy said it still works and doesn't need fixed yet.
View attachment 328014

I really hate to say it but the last I checked (in 2018) the shop said the owner (or his family) sold it. The shop didn't know to who or where nor were they sure if it would remain in similar condition or be destroyed oops! I meant "restored".
There's an older gentleman up in my neighborhood who daily drives a faded red '64 Vette. I talked to him in the grocery store parking lot one day, and he told me he bought it new, and has driven it since. He said some of the folks who have approached him about the car get really upset with him when he tells them that he has no intention of ever restoring it. Personally, I think what he's doing is great. I've seen the car parked in a driveway only half a mile or so away from my house. I suspect that's his residence. Should probably chat with him again, just to see how he's doing.

View attachment 327987

View attachment 327996

View attachment 327997

Some fiberglass issues:
View attachment 327998

View attachment 328001

View attachment 328002

View attachment 328000

View attachment 328008

View attachment 328009

View attachment 328010

View attachment 328014

1651678563035.png

There's an older gentleman up in my neighborhood who daily drives a faded red '64 Vette. I talked to him in the grocery store parking lot one day, and he told me he bought it new, and has driven it since. He said some of the folks who have approached him about the car get really upset with him when he tells them that he has no intention of ever restoring it. Personally, I think what he's doing is great. I've seen the car parked in a driveway only half a mile or so away from my house. I suspect that's his residence. Should probably chat with him again, just to see how he's doing.

Fun little cars. C2 and C3 are my favorites, followed closely by the '53-55. (< I've never ridden in one of those)

In my experience/opinion, those old Corvettes really do need a basic level of restoration to be decent, safe drivers. I put many miles on my dads worn '72 not thinking much about it before it was taken apart for an off-frame restoration. I was surprised at how bad the rear suspension was, even though I knew about the popping and creaking. The frame was cracked up front from years of fighting the 454. Brakes were on the verge of not working much longer. Electrical issues. Basically, those old Corvettes have common wear-and-tear issues that everyone ignores as long as the paint looks decent.

Also, typical "Corvette guys" really suck :rolleyes: