Car pics too cool not to share

1711997096195.png

Had to include the house with this picture..

I lost the model & year info. Sorry

View attachment 514399

Those swoopy vents in the hood sides tell you it's a Duesenberg, for sure. I'm fairly certain that it's a Model J Dual Cowl Phaeton, but as for the year? Somewhere between '28 and '34 is the best I can do. I saw one up close and personal back in '81 at a car show in Birch Bay, Washington. They're truly a stunning piece of art!

I see elements of '59-60 full size, Corvette and Corvair in that car. Also, the "bug-eye" Sprite, I had no idea GM was involved with those. :sneaky:

It was one of a few of GM's concept cars that was based on the Corvette platform, as I recall. Both the Olds and the Pontiac versions have been posted in this thread before. Not too long ago, in fact.

You guys posting these trucks reminded me, I caught a Ranger pushing a rollback the other day. These Ranger people are getting crazy. :sneaky:

View attachment 514411

It was a Ranger that customized the rearend of my SIL's Altima last week. Watch out for them lil' buggers. They're aggressive AF!!!

Wasn't Duesenberg the company that built and sold chassis with only a grill and cowl section for the body?

I'm not 100% sure on that. I know that there were coach-built versions, for sure, but whether or not they were all coach-built bodies, I really couldn't say. I'll have to look that one up, as now you've got me wondering...:unsure:

I'm not 100% sure on that. I know that there were coach-built versions, for sure, but whether or not they were all coach-built bodies, I really couldn't say. I'll have to look that one up, as now you've got me wondering...:unsure:

I think that's how Duesenburgs were sold, just a running chassis with cowl and grill, and all bodies were custom built. I'm interested to see if you confirm that or not.

I think those are also the cars that would automatically grease themselves at predetermined mileage.

Well, that was too easy! :ROFLMAO:

The company's chief body designer, Gordon Buehrig designed around half of the Model J bodies, while the remainder were designed by coachbuilders around the world, including Gurney Nutting, Murphy, and Derham, among others.

Duesenberg - Wikipedia

View attachment 514415
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Duesenberg

Of course, that begs the question of does designed elsewhere necessarily equate to them being built elsewhere. Hmmm...more to come. ;)

I think that's how Duesenburgs were sold, just a running chassis with cowl and grill, and all bodies were custom built.

Pulled from an article from trustauto.com:

Duesenberg Model J​

The Model J is arguably the best-known and most successful Duesenberg, as almost 500 units were produced. It was designed and developed by Fred Duesenberg three years after E.L. Cord acquired his company in 1925. At the time, Cord sought to take on luxury brands like Hispano-Suiza, Mercedes-Benz, and Ischotta Franchini. The Duesenberg acquisition, and Fred’s talent, would enable this effort.
Debuting in December 1928 at the New York Auto Show, the first Model J was a sweep-panel, dual-cowl phaeton finished in silver-black and featured a LeBaron-designed coach. Priced at $8500 ($137,000 today) for the bare chassis, a fully loaded Model J could hit north of $20,000 ($323,000 today).
Underneath its striking design was a potent straight-eight engine with four valves per cylinder and dual overhead cams. Offering up to 265 horsepower, the car could hit 119 mph. While not the most powerful or fastest car of its era, the Model J was the most expensive. It’s also helpful to remember that the Model J launch occurred a month after the 1928 stock crash and the beginning of the Great Depression.

Duesenberg Model J Variants​

Along with the Model J, other variants, including the Model SJ, SSJ, JN, and SJN, were built between 1928-1937. Customers could buy a Model J variant and have the coach completed by Duesenberg or constructed separately by an independent coachbuilder.

*I wish I knew more about the subject, but I've forgotten so much of the information since I sold off my Duesenberg collection years ago...:sneaky: