Car pics too cool not to share

Back in the day the "American Invasion" upset a number of the touring car purists, with attempts to neuter their dominance through technicalities in the regulations.

It took me a few days to remember who ran an Impala and when, but Dan Gurney ran a nearly stock '61 409 4-speed Impala in one of those races. If I remember correctly, Gurney in the Impala beat on those Jags until a wheel failed, ending his race. They wouldn't let him enter the car in to another race.

1713275923020.png

1713275957319.png

1713275979338.png

It took me a few days to remember who ran an Impala and when, but Dan Gurney ran a nearly stock '61 409 4-speed Impala in one of those races. If I remember correctly, Gurney in the Impala beat on those Jags until a wheel failed, ending his race. They wouldn't let him enter the car in to another race.

View attachment 519218

View attachment 519219

View attachment 519220

This exact car made an appearance at Goodwood just a few years back, though I'm not sure it ran in competition. I think someone bought it and shipped it over for the event.

Wow! Some of those guys really got after it. And what a diverse field of beautiful classic sports cars. Thanks for sharing that one!

There are some folks who don't push it but most of the drivers have no qualms about racing these cars hard, another reason I love watching races from Goodwood. On occasion they'll wreck a few of them as well, I've seen the likes of Lola T70's and Ferrari 250 GTO's in the barriers before...but they rebuild them to run again in most cases. In fact, I'm pretty sure one of the two Bizzarini 5300 GT's (Iso Grifo A3C) running in this one wrecked out a few years back. Seems there's a vintage race prep cottage industry in the UK, and I'm glad they're doing it. (y)

View attachment 519218

View attachment 519219

View attachment 519220

The first color photo you posted is Dario Franchitti (IndyCar Champ) at the wheel touring it around Goodwood, thought I recognized that...

JRT was involved in the restoration. Mike Jordan, owner of JRT is a former touring car racer and his son, Andrew, is a driver in BTCC and former champ. These guys prep and run a bunch of vintage hardware.

There are some folks who don't push it but most of the drivers have no qualms about racing these cars hard, another reason I love watching races from Goodwood.

I was talking to a guy I know last week who told me he recently took a job with Hendrick Motorsports, or maybe he's working for guys who work for Hendrick, either way his new job is shuttling some vintage race cars around. He said most of the cars are old Jags and Porsches. I think he said he is supposed to be in Atlanta this week or next, then Virginia Internation in a few months. He from a foreign land with an accent and likes those funny little cars, so it's hard for me to understand him, mostly because he likes those old Jags. :sneaky: I don't think he named the sanctioning body, and I don't know much about those events, but maybe you do?

I was talking to a guy I know last week who told me he recently took a job with Hendrick Motorsports, or maybe he's working for guys who work for Hendrick, either way his new job is shuttling some vintage race cars around. He said most of the cars are old Jags and Porsches. I think he said he is supposed to be in Atlanta this week or next, then Virginia Internation in a few months. He from a foreign land with an accent and likes those funny little cars, so it's hard for me to understand him, mostly because he likes those old Jags. :sneaky: I don't think he named the sanctioning body, and I don't know much about those events, but maybe you do?

Possibly/probably the VRG, Vintage Racer Group. I think they run the Jefferson 500 at Summit Point, which I highly recommend if you're in the area. Pretty sure they run events at VIR and others as well.

https://vrgonline.org/

Things in mirror are larger than they appear. ;)

Indeed! As a little kid I used to think 911's were big, but truth is a slim hipped 911 is actually a fairly small and nimble car. Speaking of...

Last edited:
Possibly/probably the VRG, Vintage Racer Group. I think they run the Jefferson 500 at Summit Point, which I highly recommend if you're in the area. Pretty sure they run events at VIR and others as well.

https://vrgonline.org/

Indeed! As I little kid I used to think 911's were big, but truth is a slim hipped 911 is actually a fairly small and nimble car. Speaking of...

I'm not a HUGE guy but try sitting in the back seat of a 911.... I'm only 5'10" and when I folded into the back seat I was around 160lbs so I wasn't very wide then either. My commander in Germany had one and after my VW van had broken down he came to retrieve myself & 2 other members of my unit. It was a very uncomfortable 8 hour ride.

Last edited: