Car pics too cool not to share

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a...oyee-reportedly-wrecks-ferrari-f40-in-tunnel/

Dealership Employee Reportedly Wrecks Ferrari F40 in Tunnel​

The 24-year-old employee was reportedly driving the $3 million supercar to a car show when he crashed in a tunnel.

1713970550814.png

German luxury car dealer Mechatronik trusted a 24-year-old employee with driving a $3 million Ferrari F40 to a nearby car show last week. That trip turned out to be an expensive one as the young driver crashed the vintage Ferrari in a tunnel, per a report by Bild.

The F40 was being driven to “Motorworld” in Böblingen but with just 11 miles remaining on the trip, the driver lost control in the middle of the Engelberg tunnel near Stuttgart. A police spokesman told Bild “It is currently unknown whether this was due to a technical defect or excessive speed.”

If you were to create a Mount Rushmore of supercars, the F40 would certainly deserve a spot. It is not the fastest, most beautiful, or most valuable Ferrari in existence. But it offers one of the rawest, and thrilling driving experiences imaginable. The 471 horsepower from the 2.9-liter twin-turbo V-8 is fired directly to the rear wheels. Driver aids? Ha! The F40 doesn’t even have carpeting, so forget about any fancy electronic helpers to save you from your mistakes. What makes this car such a thrill is what makes it such a challenge for inexperienced drivers.

The driver in this crash did not suffer any injuries, but the same can’t be said for the car, which suffered extensive damage. However, this one will likely be repaired, given how special these cars are. Prior to the crash, this F40 was listed for sale with an asking price just north of $3.2 million. The wreck may reduce the value a bit, but even with the damage history, this F40 will remain one of the most desirable Ferrari automobiles ever made.

1865 lbs wet, ~350 hp, revs to 11k and spits flame... :p

WOW!!! That was an incredibly gratifying video to watch. Witnessing that thing getting tossed in the corners was something else. Did you catch the right-front tire lifting at around the 12:55 mark? That car is stunning in so many ways. Thanks for posting this, @chili_pepper! What a hoot!

~350 hp, revs to 11k

So they swapped in a turbo Honda engine? ;)

Actually, I watched that video a while back. Pretty cool car and I bet it's a blast to drive. I can't help but wonder how much it cost to build that car, and I don't remember him saying. I'm sure that's a six-figure price tag, probably in the $200K range.

Actually, I watched that video a while back. Pretty cool car and I bet it's a blast to drive. I can't help but wonder how much it cost to build that car, and I don't remember him saying. I'm sure that's a six-figure price tag, probably in the $200K range.

More than most of us could afford I'd imagine... And from the end of the video it'd seem the owner needs some track time to really be able to appreciate the car he built.

I'd LOVE to learn how to drive something like that. A few days of just being able to sling it around the track would be fine too.

I'd LOVE to learn how to drive something like that. A few days of just being able to sling it around the track would be fine too.

I keep thinking I'd like to try one of the performance driving schools, but they're just too damn expensive to really get any time in. This one is nearby, but it's $2,000 for a day. https://www.fordperformanceracingschool.com/1-day-school/

Let me clear it with my CPA as a write-off since my job requires driving and I'll go. ;)

I don't know that he's posted whole pictures of the car but on one of the FB Magnum swap groups I'm on this owner swapped in a 5.9 into his 68 Dart. He's mounted the PCM inside behind the glovebox which cleaned up the engine bay a LOT.

1713982332707.png

1713982364726.png

1713982394913.png

1713982450810.png

I keep thinking I'd like to try one of the performance driving schools, but they're just too damn expensive to really get any time in. This one is nearby, but it's $2,000 for a day. https://www.fordperformanceracingschool.com/1-day-school/

Let me clear it with my CPA as a write-off since my job requires driving and I'll go. ;)

WOW I didn't realize they had gone up that much... Most I've ever done was a couple of track days at Laguna Seca on my motorcycle & that wasn't cheap either.

WOW!!! That was an incredibly gratifying video to watch. Witnessing that thing getting tossed in the corners was something else. Did you catch the right-front tire lifting at around the 12:55 mark? That car is stunning in so many ways. Thanks for posting this, @chili_pepper! What a hoot!

It is a very impressive bit of automotive engineering...but it also bears mentioning that Chris Harris is pretty solid behind the wheel. Compared to many auto journos, he's a very talented and capable driver and quite humble about it when the issue is discussed. I always enjoy his car reviews. Richard's not so bad behind the wheel, either.

Ha! Nope, still the powerplant from a "squashed Beetle", be it a heavily massaged one. I've got the video bookmarked and have watched it a number of times since Chris posted it. I'm sure it wasn't a cheap project by any measure, but boy howdy does it run!

More than most of us could afford I'd imagine... And from the end of the video it'd seem the owner needs some track time to really be able to appreciate the car he built.

Indeed, much more, speaking for myself. I'm not convinced Richard is the actual owner, but he is definitely the guy behind the project. He (Richard Tuthill) is a racer of 911's and the owner of Tuthill Porsche, a bespoke builder/restorer of the Porsche 911 (and other models) as well as a parts developer for the same (you can have one of those CF 911K wheels for $3,240 per if you're feeling froggy). Think of Tuthill as a Singer-esque operation but with less of a specific format and budget, other than the base car for the projects. Whereas Singer's attempt was to make something more affordable (relatively speaking), I'm not entirely convinced that's a concern with Tuthill. Still, have to appreciate the dedication, engineering and results.

https://tuthillporsche.com/

The 911K project bumf states this is "the first from a series of these cars"...this could get interesting.... :p

https://tuthillporsche.com/tuthill-porsche-launch-the-lightweight-911k/

Last edited:
Here's the General Lee before he jumped it.

https://www.facebook.com/NORTHEAST.OHIO.DUKES

The jump time here in Canada is at 12pm ATLANTIC time. BACK HOME IN THE USA IT WILL BE 11AM EASTREN STANDARD TIME. WE WILL GO LIVE 10 MIN BEFORE THE JUMP ! STAY ALERT FOR THE LIVE FEED ON OUR FB . Time may change depending on of there is a long line at the gate and we will let u know if that happens. Thanks everyone.

View attachment 520502

View attachment 520503

View attachment 520504

After the jump

View attachment 520506

View attachment 520507

View attachment 520508

Very good post sir. I'm glad I noticed it before actually posting too much repeat info about that.

https://www.facebook.com/NORTHEAST.OHIO.DUKES link has posted some info about that General Lee being "NOT A REAL CHARGER !! 00 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS!" about 7 hrs ago. I just going to post a screenshot of that but for some reason I can "attach a file" but I can't "insert a file".

A bit further down they posted "Good times! Flat landings 24 years apart " showing video of a real Charger landing vs video of their FOMOCO Charger landing. I'm not sure if that old video was actually from 2000, I would have thought it was 20 years before that but IDK.

Anyway NEO Dukes has been jumping their own General Lees for close to 2 decades now and IIRC this is the third one built from a Ford or Mercury. They also have Daisey's Dixie Jeep, one of Cooter's wreckers, uncle Jesse's Truck and I could swear that I saw Boss Hogg's Caddy but can't find it on their site.

Here's their website. BitDefender gave me the usual couple warnings about being insecure but I've been there a couple of different times, including just now without problems.

FWIW, I wish I could remember where but sometime while Trump was president NEO Dukes were going to make their second General Lee jump in the same city (not their second jump) and the city (IDK but Chicago sounds right) said the flag had to be removed off the roof or stay out. What a demoCRAP way to force that jump to someplace else but that's exactly what happened. A year or two ago they also built and jumped a Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am. IIRC it was at least a Firebird to begin with.