Car Trailer Size

jeepndogs

TJ Enthusiast
Heading over to Ouray in September and since it’s a 22 hour drive we are going to trailer it out there. Trying to decide between a 16ft and an 18ft trailer, both would have a 2ft dovetail. Who has what and how happy are you with it?

Also anyone towing with a F-150 3.5?

I had a 16' trailer which is plenty big for a Jeep. If you ever have plans to use it for something larger then go with the 18' trailer. Also make sure both axles have brakes (some only have one axle with brakes).

Reactions: alittleoff
I had a 16' trailer which is plenty big for a Jeep. If you ever have plans to use it for something larger then go with the 18' trailer. Also make sure both axles have brakes (some only have one axle with brakes).

Yes, definitely going with both axels having brakes. My last trailer only had single axel, I was towing with a Mega cab dually so I wasn’t to concerned about getting pushed around. The F-150 doesn’t have quite as much ass behind it.

Reactions: alittleoff
Yes, definitely going with both axels having brakes. My last trailer only had single axel, I was towing with a Mega cab dually so I wasn’t to concerned about getting pushed around. The F-150 doesn’t have quite as much ass behind it.
Another thing to consider. Most of the car trailers have 3500 lb axles. This is plenty for hauling a Jeep, but look into an axle upgrade to 4400 or 5200 lb axles with higher weight rating tires. This usually includes larger brakes also.

Hmmm....I think this was an 16 foot. Worked great. You have an LJ though, so with the extra 10 inches, I think I'd be inclined to go 18 foot. No issues with the F150 Eboost.

Incidentally, that F150 was a really good tow vehicle. Plenty of go and whoa, it was heavy enough to resist its considerable tow rating, and it was comfortable. I mostly towed a 6000 lb boat/trailer combo and went all over with it through the hills of Northern MI and on the highways through Chicago. Absolutely effortless...like no anxiety at all. It was really good. The only thing I wished for were some air springs. They set these trucks up to ride nice, so they have soft leafs in them. You load it to max (or maybe a bit over) and they squish down in the rear pretty well. My dad's Kubota on his equipement trailer was a load...I wouldn't wanted to pull more than a few miles like this...

Last edited:
Another thing to consider. Most of the car trailers have 3500 lb axles. This is plenty for hauling a Jeep, but look into an axle upgrade to 4400 or 5200 lb axles with higher weight rating tires. This usually includes larger brakes also.
Good advice but be careful with the weight rating if you get the 5200 and make sure they rate the trailer under 10,000 lbs. I've got 52s under mine with a 9500 lb rating to keep it under commercial status. That and I'm just not a fan of the 3500's under a car hauler. The bad thing is they just aren't that much less money than the higher rated stuff.

I haven’t looked at open trailers for a while, car is in an enclosed and different tow vehicle. It was surprising to see how many open car trailers have started using 2” balls.

Good advice but be careful with the weight rating if you get the 5200 and make sure they rate the trailer under 10,000 lbs. I've got 52s under mine with a 9500 lb rating to keep it under commercial status. That and I'm just not a fan of the 3500's under a car hauler. The bad thing is they just aren't that much less money than the higher rated stuff.
I agree about not going over 10k GVWR. My next trailer will have 5200 or 6000lb axles with 16" tires and 9900 GVWR. The cost is about $250 for the axle upgrade.

Hmmm....I think this was an 16 foot. Worked great. No issues with the F150 Eboost. You have an LJ though, so with the extra 10 inches, I think I'd be inclined to go 18 foot.

View attachment 90596

View attachment 90597
Anyone buying a trailer needs to chat with the mfg and find out how they measure. Mine has a 13' deck and I put a 40" tire rig on it with 104" of wheel base.

Hmmm....I think this was an 16 foot. Worked great. No issues with the F150 Eboost. You have an LJ though, so with the extra 10 inches, I think I'd be inclined to go 18 foot.

View attachment 90596

View attachment 90597

The 16 with the dovetail gets me a total trailer length of 18, I’m running out of space at my place for all my crap so I’m trying to make sure everything fits. I guess the bright side is the more space I take up the less grass I have to cut!

I agree about not going over 10k GVWR. My next trailer will have 5200 or 6000lb axles with 16" tires and 9900 GVWR. The cost is about $250 for the axle upgrade.
We have a semi local trailer place that builds very nice trailers. The problem with them is when you custom order to get the heavier axles, they beef up the rest of the trailer so much that you've almost lost the gains you made with the extra rating of the heavier axles over the 3500s.

My trailer was custom and very light for what it is. The A frame tongue is 2" x 4" x 1/8" wall and no one I know in the trailer building business will do that and it's overkill for a 10,000 lb rated trailer. In fact the frame under it is the same material but done correctly.

Reactions: Rich1961
We have a semi local trailer place that builds very nice trailers. The problem with them is when you custom order to get the heavier axles, they beef up the rest of the trailer so much that you've almost lost the gains you made with the extra rating of the heavier axles over the 3500s.

My trailer was custom and very light for what it is. The A frame tongue is 2" x 4" x 1/8" wall and no one I know in the trailer building business will do that and it's overkill for a 10,000 lb rated trailer. In fact the frame under it is the same material but done correctly.
I've priced out a PJ 18' and 20' trailer. They are actually 12k rated trailers, but derated to 9900 lbs to keep it under the CDL requirement in Ca. I have a Non Commercial Class A but that license is only good for RV Trailers.

Reactions: KcTj
Yes, most of the places I have been looking at with the bigger axels bump the frame up to 2”x5” and add crossmembers under the deck. They eat up with the trailer what you gained with the larger axels.

I haven’t looked at open trailers for a while, car is in an enclosed and different tow vehicle. It was surprising to see how many open car trailers have started using 2” balls.
A 2" trailer ball done correctly with the right coupler isn't an issue at all. I would tow anything I would reasonably carry on my trailer with the right set up.

I prefer the 2 5/16 but that is me being too picky.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/40038
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-A~...-gw-10000_lbs_GTW-pc-2_Inch_Ball_Coupler.aspx

I've priced out a PJ 18' and 20' trailer. They are actually 12k rated trailers, but derated to 9900 lbs to keep it under the CDL requirement in Ca. I have a Non Commercial Class A but that license is only good for RV Trailers.
Yep, seen quite a few like that and while I haven't put one on a scale, they are not even remotely close to elegantly built with thought given to everything you need and nothing you don't. They throw lots of steel at them.

A 2" trailer ball done correctly with the right coupler isn't an issue at all. I would tow anything I would reasonably carry on my trailer with the right set up.

I prefer the 2 5/16 but that is me being too picky.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/40038
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-A~...-gw-10000_lbs_GTW-pc-2_Inch_Ball_Coupler.aspx

That’s pretty much my thought exactly. The coupler is pretty much the same cost either way for the trailer manufacturer I would just assume go with the 2 5/16. It won’t be a deal breaker but if given the choice I’m going with the 2 5/16.

I have an 18' and it's plenty big for my LJ. Probably should have gone with a 16' just to make storage a bit easier. I do wish I'd gone with bigger than the 3500lb axles though. Initial cost isn't much more and the peace of mind of having slightly more capacity would be nice, as well as what I assume would be bigger brakes/bearings.

Reactions: jeepndogs
I have an 18' and it's plenty big for my LJ. Probably should have gone with a 16' just to make storage a bit easier. I do wish I'd gone with bigger than the 3500lb axles though. Initial cost isn't much more and the peace of mind of having slightly more capacity would be nice, as well as what I assume would be bigger brakes/bearings.

Any chance you have any pictures of it on there? Just wondering how much room you have to spare.