Car Trailer Size

No pictures, but there is a TON of room to play with, and that’s with the big tooolbox I have mounted on the front of the trailer deck.

That’s why I’m thinking of the 16 with the 2ft dovetail. That gives me an overall length of 18. I want to be able to put a small box on the front to store straps and such and also want the ability to move the Jeep around a bit to get the young weight where I want it.

You can always retrofit trailers with different brakes. Many of the disc brake kits are pretty good, and some even come in stainless so they don't rust as easily

When I was looking for a trailer I knew all I wanted to haul on it was my TJ. I had seen to many friends who had 18' & 20' trailers that were beat to crap because some friend borrowed it. So I got one custom made for me in a 14' with a 2' dovetail. I don't need to use my ramps to load or unload my TJ because of that.

IMGP1030.jpg

IMGP1029.jpg

This isn't what you are looking for as far as a trailer but here is my TJ loaded on my RNTH (Red Neck Toy Hauler) with 17' of deck behind the camper.

IMGP3383.jpg

IMGP3382.jpg

You can also put a trailer tongue box on it for your straps and stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHMZAFW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

A jeep will fit on a 16 no problem, but given the choice I'm taking the longer trailer every time.

A jeep will fit on a 16 no problem, but given the choice I'm taking the longer trailer every time.
It fits on a 14' trailer no problem. Why have a longer trailer than you need? Yes if you have other things that you are going to haul I understand the reasons for having a longer trailer. But if all you are going to haul is a TJ/LJ a 14' trailer will do it. If you are getting it custom made you can have them put the axles where you need them to make the tongue weight what it should be.

But just like modifying our Jeeps, to each their own.

It fits on a 14' trailer no problem. Why have a longer trailer than you need? Yes if you have other things that you are going to haul I understand the reasons for having a longer trailer. But if all you are going to haul is a TJ/LJ a 14' trailer will do it. If you are getting it custom made you can have them put the axles where you need them to make the tongue weight what it should be.

But just like modifying our Jeeps, to each their own.
Yep, that's what I did. 13' deck, 20" high front wall, 16" high side walls, drive over wheel wells inside the walls, one piece tail gate, axles where I wanted them for the correct tongue weight, 50 gallon water tank between the axles, and tire storage up front for a pair of spare tires. It is probably 17' ball to end of gate folded up. I built assist springs in tubes to help the gate up so you can lift it easily with one hand.

This is what my TJ looks like on my 14' Big Tex, 70CH. The 17' overall length of the trailer (ball to back) fits in my 12'x50' storage spot when it's connected to the 31' Moho.
There is still about 2' of room ahead of the front tires to tie down four 5gal. gas cans and four 6gal. water cans.

IMG_1588.JPG

fullsizeoutput_a66.jpeg

Reactions: Ardenlonewolf
being this back to life. I have an LJ and am pondering the idea of a 14’ car hauler. 14’ being overall deck length including the dovetail. 12 flat 2 dovetail

I understand longer is better but considering storage space and fuel economy when towing 1200 miles the shorter trailer makes sense. Tie down using e track similar to the picture attached except with the ratchet under the belly of the Jeep as there won’t be excess space on the ends of Jeep.
Sole purpose of this trailer is to tow the Jeep so other uses aren’t an issue.

Is anyone else doing this with a 14’ trailer?

1A2E4F2C-CE64-4C51-9910-1982CB453B43.jpeg

B6AB1049-EEB4-4423-B99C-54DACB1364BA.jpeg

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
I've hauled my TJ with my 14'er. And with room to spare for a row of 5&6 gal. gas and water juggs tied down in front.
That space would be your extra TJU w/b.

But it's been only with ratchet straps & D-rings.

eTrack might be in my future tho.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with the eTrack system but, it looks to use the weight of the vehicle to help tie it down to the trailer.
Rather than using straps to "pull" the axles away from each other.
Someone can /should explain better than me.

E-track has hundreds of different strap and attachments that fit in the slots.

So you can get a dozen different kinds of rings for tie down points, straps that fasten straight to the track, 2x4 post/beam mounts, chain connectors, wheel straps, secure wheel chocks, etc.

The Ford Boxlink used in their pickup trucks is literally just a single E-track mount.
1632518357453.png

1632518411548.png

1632518507376.png

1632518549137.png

1632518692808.png

Reactions: alittleoff