Carfax question

Tscott

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I recently got a 2013 Ford F150 and ran the Carfax report. It doesn't look like it has had a lot of oil changes. It has 91,000 miles.

My question is, should all of the oil changes be reported on a Carfax despite where they were performed? How does that work?

Only if the shop reports to carfax. Typically dealerships do, but typically quick lubes don't.

Reactions: John Cooper
Many, many small shops don't record oil changes to Carfax. If someone were to buy any one of my vehicles that I have ever owned it would appear none had ever had an oil change. I do it myself and that is way better than letting the minimum wage baffoons at Jiffy Lube do it.

On the flip side, when I worked at the dealer I had to have a service writer open a WO whenever I was going to work on my own car. When I traded it in, I checked the free carfax and it showed the vehicle had like 20 different "drivetrain repairs" when I owned it. Whatever code the service writer used showed up as a drivetrain repair.

We just sold my wife's explorer with regular maintenance done at a Ford dealer, not one of those records are on the Carfax. I don't understand why Carfax is such a trusted form of record. They sure as hell sold our info to all the warranty companies though, only had her new explorer for a month and started receiving calls/mail about it, and the damn thing has a lifetime warranty from the dealer. WTF.