Catalytic converter has me down

Hunter Rich

TJ Enthusiast
So I got the P0420 code 2 days ago. Right now I'm sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow. It bogged down so bad it wouldn't go 5mph in 1st. So here is sit half way home grateful in the knowledge that the tow is free.

🍻

I’m sorry to hear that! I remember you just bought too...Some new cats and NTK O2 sensors and you will be good for many more years.

Yeah. Since purchased I put a fuel pump on and now this. Hopefully I can get a new cat ordered and here before the weekend and no rain I should be good to go come Monday.

🍻

Yep, plugged cats will do that for sure. Happened to me, though not as bad as this.

Yep, plugged cats will do that for sure. Happened to me, though not as bad as this.

How hard was it to get the your original cats off the manifolds? THe bolts on mine look like they are pretty corroded on.

Yeah. Since purchased I put a fuel pump on and now this. Hopefully I can get a new cat ordered and here before the weekend and no rain I should be good to go come Monday.

🍻
Don’t feel too bad, I put a new fuel pump in mine too. Also did a rear main seal because it was leaking worse than I had thought.

Reactions: Hunter Rich
How hard was it to get the your original cats off the manifolds? THe bolts on mine look like they are pretty corroded on.

I removed the driver side fender and inner fender. It made things A LOT easier. They were on there bad since they had rust and corrosion, but it wasn't terrible since I soaked them in Kroil the night before.

Reactions: Rubicon John
I removed the driver side fender and inner fender. It made things A LOT easier. They were on there bad since they had rust and corrosion, but it wasn't terrible since I soaked them in Kroil the night before.
Did you hit with impact?

🍻
Not sure what the law is where you are but they cut my cat out, just the rear one was plugged, cleaned it out and welded it back in, a slight difference in the exhaust note but "fixed" in an hour.

I soaked them in Kroil the night before.

So-- you like the kroil do you?? Do you think its better than PB Blaster??. People where I use to work, all they ever wanted to use was Kano Kroil-- me, i never really thought that it did much. I kind of always had a bias against it when the can says on it " creeps into openings as small as one millionth of an inch"
When I read shat like that-- I loose all faith in it

My apologies for going off & hi-jacking the thread

Reactions: Hunter Rich
So-- you like the kroil do you?? Do you think its better than PB Blaster??. People where I use to work, all they ever wanted to use was Kano Kroil-- me, i never really thought that it did much. I kind of always had a bias against it when the can says on it " creeps into openings as small as one millionth of an inch"

I like Wurth Rost Off Max Ice. Comes out of the can ice cold!

Do some searching here. I have had to do my cats twice. The first ones I purchased weren't bent quite right, which allowed the front drive shaft to knock the crap out of them on the trail, which then lead to the cats crumbling a second time. Looking through my emails, I bought a Davico in 2016 and a Pacesetter a year later. So, if that is correct, I'm having good luck with Pacesetter.

I think kroil is number one here then it’s liquid wrench.

Did mine in the driveway with long extensions, swivels and a breaker bar.

Used a flow master replacement cat back from Summit Racing (fast shipping).

Took less than an hour.

Did mine in the driveway with long extensions, swivels and a breaker bar.

Used a flow master replacement cat back from Summit Racing (fast shipping).

Took less than an hour.
How do they fit?— pretty good ? Were they an exact bolt up replacement with no modifications??

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Apparition