CB antenna mount suggestions

I had mine mounted to the spare mount. I did this so it would be out of the way, not getting caught up in trees or bushes and not have to drill into the body. This also allowed the wiring to neatly tuck in with and follow the existing 3rd brake light wiring.

Not the best pics but I can get close ups of the mount and wiring and post later if you'd like.

View attachment 196173
View attachment 196174

That is exactly how I installed my antenna. I removed the 3rd brake light wiring from the hole and installed a PL259. The antenna is protected and no drilling holes in the body.

Reactions: DaveC
Okay, here’s a question, is there such a thing as HAM radio, CB radio, and GMRS all in one radio? Seems like that would be a nice thing to have as oppose to multiple different devices.

The best you will do will be the purchase of a Baofeng or similar radio that will talk on 2 meter, 70 cm and GRMS, but as others have said, its illegal.

Reactions: Chris
I wouldn't really say 'highly illegal'. You can buy them on Amazon for around $25.

As I mentioned above, they're designed for ham radio use, but can also do GMRS. It's just not legal to tune them to a GMRS frequency and transmit (receive is legal). However, it's not really regulated. It's like saying that jay walking and spitting on your neighbor's property are illegal. Unless there's a reason to enforce the law, it won't be enforced.
good point, there not gonna through you in the slammer, just take it and your radio licenses. perhaps Highly illegal was a little overkill. and like all things. It's only if ya get caught.

I studied for the ham test at https://hamstudy.org/tech2018

It's a free site. Spent a few hours doing the practice questions. It will tell you how proficient you are. When I got to the low 90%, I took the test and passed.
I just took the practice test, scored 88%. Mostly missed regulatory questions, although I also missed one because I read it wrong.

Edit: I took it two more times - lowest was 74%. Looks like a modicum of study is all that's needed...

Last edited:
Reactions: suicideking
I just took the practice test, scored 88%. Mostly missed regulatory questions, although I also missed one because I read it wrong.

Edit: I took it two more times - lowest was 74%. Looks like a modicum of study is all that's needed...

Nice! I did my studying in 'study mode'. A few hours and you'll be ready for the test.

Reactions: Zorba
Same thing as transmitting GMRS on a ham radio: Illegal, just not enforced... :D

I am not sure how Baofeng gets to sell their radios in the US. In the 2M band they miss the regulation limit for harmonics by over 10 dB! This is well known in the ham world but the low prices are just too much to resist. I should know, I have six of them. We just stuff them everywhere for backup but use our Yaesu radios almost exclusively.

I am not sure how Baofeng gets to sell their radios in the US. In the 2M band they miss the regulation limit for harmonics by over 10 dB! This is well known in the ham world but the low prices are just too much to resist. I should know, I have six of them. We just stuff them everywhere for backup but use our Yaesu radios almost exclusively.

Like Jeep parts, you get what you pay for. The $25 Baofeng is barely better than a CB. Just cheaper and ok for a portable. They don't do anything well though.

I found MORryde makes a CB mount that attaches to the hinges. I'm going to use that with the MORryde hinges, should work out nicely.

I found MORryde makes a CB mount that attaches to the hinges. I'm going to use that with the MORryde hinges, should work out nicely.

This one? At these links? $24.99?

JP54-027-scaled-e1589204359195.jpg

https://www.morryde.com/products/cb-antenna-mount-kit-2/

TJLJ-Rear-Top-Angle-Mounted-CB-Mount-Product-Pic.jpg

https://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/wrangler-lj-2/tj-lj-hd-tailgate-hinge-cb-mount

(Don't you love it when someone starts a thread asking for product recommendation, finds a solution that hasn't been discussed in the thread, but doesn't post photos, links, prices or any details. ;))