CB Radio Install

Nick B

My dad just gave me his old Cobra 21XLR cb radio that he wired into an old Ford Explorer. I want to mount it into my Jeep near the center console, not above the mirror or on top of the dash.
My ideal spot would be on the passenger side near the shifter so it’s out of the way but still accessible. What are my options for securing it down? Should I screw into the plastic console or should I screw into the metal trans tunnel a little lower?
I don’t do any hard wheeling so I’m not worried about it being the strongest mount in the world, just something that will hold it in place down the road and utility roads.
Also want to install it for the PA function. I can plug an aux into the back and talk over my Jeep’s speakers.

image.jpg

You should re-think about not going up above with it. Look at something called the Arizona Rail Mount or something like that. I made something similar, work great. Not much leg room in a TJ so anything off the floor is a bonus.

@Jerry Bransford has a good source for these things, I used his advice and mounted it above the rearview mirror. Works great but I can't find the order info I placed. Arizona something or other. Keeps it up out of the way and safe from the elements as long as you have a roof of some sort.

Will the police care if I put it in that tray on top of the dash?

Can't comment on the Mass. cops, but you'd need to get it anchored to something solid. If you put screws into the dash itself it wouldn't stay secured and it'd become a missile in the event of an impact. Teraflex makes a driverside dash mount that hooks into the dash support, but after I installed that I found that the radio was always getting wet because it was on the far left of the console. People prefer the overhead mount because it secures itself on the roll cage, is very secure, and keeps everything up & out of the way. All you have to do is tuck your wiring up over the A pillars and into the overhead crossmember. It's a very tidy solution.

No. But I also suggest the arizona rocky road overhead mount. The radio is up and out of the way for you and your passengers plus the speaker is now projecting down towards you so it's easy to hear

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Screw it to the plastic. Have a piece of metal for a backer inside the plastic tunnel and it will be plenty strong unless your passenger is kicking on it.

yours looks like it might be bigger than mine so not sure if it would work, but this is my solution:

20180114_212355.jpg

It's several inches out of where my right leg goes so I've got plenty of space, and it made it easy to run and conceal the wiring.

The PO of my TJ installed one on the passenger side just below the glove box. I removed it because it prevented me from moving the seat forward. I'll re-install it, but overhead.