Center console sub help

Ejforan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I have a basic sport without the center console sub but it desperately needs that sound upgrade. Does anyone have a sub they put into the console that wasnt made for it or should i buy a nee console piece?

These are what i ordered. Read below.
8AB4A0C5-AE2C-4477-8519-C6A21F942F10.png

I originally ordered this sub because it matched very well with the stock amp specs. It did up until a certain point, it could only deliver so much power and would shut off as a safety. 18 gauge doesn’t conduct the kind of power I was needing very well lol.

So I bought the kicker amp to match the sub’s power needs. I mounted the amp under the passenger seat and modified the stock sub box just slightly to hold the new sub. I don’t have pictures but it fits very well.

Would I do it over I would buy the 1-2ohm setups vs the .5-1ohm setup that I have now. While lower ohms deliver MORE power, higher ohms deliver CLEANER power. I wish I had gone that route instead.

Don’t get me wrong though my sound system kicks ass. I pulled 6.5 and 5.25 stock Bose speakers from my 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix and paired them with a BOSS 400w amp, 100x4 at 2ohms. Lady from Bose told me they ran 50w rms @ 2ohms. I think they’re a little underpowered but they still carry some serious clarity. Matched with the sub it sounds like a competition setup.

The two amps and the sub plus additional stuff cost me less than $200 :)

See my post here...the Sound Ordnance B-8PTD is a good option. My thread should be everything you need to do the install with one small exception...since you can't use the rubber feet off the bottom of oem sub, you'll have to buy some foam tape or rubber bumps to glue to side of amp so it doesn't rattle against the console of driver's side.

Sound Ordnance install

Original install thread

Last edited:
See my post here...the Sound Ordnance B-8PTD is a good option. My thread should be everything you need to do the install with one small exception...since you can't use the rubber feet off the bottom of oem sub, you'll have to buy some foam tape or rubber bumps to glue to side of amp so it doesn't rattle against the console of driver's side.

Sound Ordnance install

Original install thread
How long have you had the sub and with any problems?

How long have you had the sub and with any problems?

I only installed it a few weeks ago and haven't used my jeep either due to the road salt....so be a few months before I'm using on a regular basis. I've been playing the stereo while working on it though. The remote dial is very handy too.

The amp has a 3 year warranty though & if you buy from Crutchfield, I think you can do the warranty through them. I know someone that had a warranty claim...they said it was wicked easy. They ship a brand new replacement unit & you return old one in same box with their prepaid label. Great company to deal with.