Chain tie downs for the Jeep on the trailer

DeadStang

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
We have used the Mac tie down straps for years but they tend to loosen on trips and require re-tightening frequently, so I feel this isn't great for the Jeep or the transmission when they get loose before I re-tighten repeatedly. Does anyone use chain binders to tie down their Jeeps — and if so, suggestions on which to buy? Thanks.

Yea I use Mac Straps also and you do have to tighten them. We use chains on our equipment trailers at work and they do work well. Do not use this type of binders, they are dangerous to the user. Use the ratchet type

41lh1ZZfZ2L._AC_SY580_.jpg

Mac's shouldn't loosen more than a retighten once everything has settled on the trailer. When I talked with them they said to make sure that I don't pull them tight before ratcheting you want them loose so you can get a lot of material on the ratchet.

Unlike other ratchets the Mac's have no issue releasing when they are very full, but you can still bind them up with too much material.

Last Moab trip I loaded the Jeep on the trailer in Minnesota and never needed to mess with the ratchets until I unloaded it in Moab.

Last edited:
Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I’ve never had to retighten my macs straps. You may be pulling too much slack out of them so it doesn’t wrap up enough on the spindle to hold well. But I used chains and binders for years before I moved to the Macs straps. I used the binder shown above and never had an issue with getting hurt. I can see how it happens for sure but I always had them with clearance around them and would be careful when releasing.

Reactions: Apparition
I used chains and ratchet binders on a Rockwell axel buggy I used to own, I welded d-rings on the axle tubes. I use ratchet straps on everything now, it can be a chore to get chains attached without a dedicated point of attachment.

Yea I use Mac Straps also and you do have to tighten them. We use chains on our equipment trailers at work and they do work well. Do not use this type of binders, they are dangerous to the user. Use the ratchet type

View attachment 370221

I’ve been using that style binder on my jeep since 2003, and my dad has been using that style since the 60’s. Never had a problem 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 370221

I used those and chains back in the 70s to clamp my off road race cars to my trailers. I don't think there were a lot of options back then, either that or I was too cheap. I never had one open up on me. I remember cutting up coat hangers and using them as twist ties to keep them shut while travelling. There was a small hole at the end of the handle and I "assumed" that was what it was for. I started when I was a broke college student and I guess the habit was hard to break.