Changing Pickup Trucks - UPDATE - CHANGED pickup Trucks

Mike_H

autos are better - WRWD508
Supporting Member
I'm selling my 2013 F150 and switching to a Taco. The short story is that I no longer need a 1/2 ton pickup and I'm tired of not parking in the garage. Got my eye on a couple of Gen 3 trucks. Also looking at a Gen 2 that has had a full frame replacement. Since I know a few of you guys on here run Tacomas, anything specific I should watch out for? Is Gen 3 significantly better than Gen 2?

I'm selling my 2013 F150 and switching to a Taco. The short story is that I no longer need a 1/2 ton pickup and I'm tired of not parking in the garage. Got my eye on a couple of Gen 3 trucks. Also looking at a Gen 2 that has had a full frame replacement. Since I know a few of you guys on here run Tacomas, anything specific I should watch out for? Is Gen 3 significantly better than Gen 2?
When I was looking at buying a taco it was gonna be a gen1 or gen 3. Gen 2 is no bueno. Worse rust issues than the gen 1. Gen 3 are just awesome. If your able to swing it the 2016s are reasonable right now. Cement is an awesome color. Throw a TRD pro grill on it and call it done. Well after you add the k02s to it haha. They really are great trucks.

I can't stand the look of the Gen 3 Tacomas. Those things are so friggin' ugly it's a sin. Now the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Tacomas I really dig. I wish I could comment on whether Gen 3 is that much better than Gen 2. I think as long as you get a Gen 2 with a good frame, there can't be that much of a difference. I know Consumer Reports has been rating the newer Tacomas low lately, mostly because Toyota hasn't kept up with the other truck manufacturers in terms of adding all the safety features that other trucks have. They've been resting on their laurels.

I can't stand the look of the Gen 3 Tacomas. Those things are so friggin' ugly it's a sin. Now the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Tacomas I really dig. I wish I could comment on whether Gen 3 is that much better than Gen 2. I think as long as you get a Gen 2 with a good frame, there can't be that much of a difference. I know Consumer Reports has been rating the newer Tacomas low lately, mostly because Toyota hasn't kept up with the other truck manufacturers in terms of adding all the safety features that other trucks have. They've been resting on their laurels.
Different strokes for different folks. Gen 2 was an after thought for Toyota as far as I’m concerned. Those things are ugly as sin to me lol.

Get a ranger. Can do everything a taco can do, and looks better doing it ;) I gave up on my search for a gen 1 taco. Prices were crazy for what it is.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
Different strokes for different folks. Gen 2 was an after thought for Toyota as far as I’m concerned. Those things are ugly as sin to me lol.

I guess so! I like the look of the later model Gen 2s quite a bit. The Gen 3 just makes me gag every time I see it. Now the 4Runner on the other hand, that front end is what should have ended up on the Tacoma.

I guess so! I like the look of the later model Gen 2s quite a bit. The Gen 3 just makes me gag every time I see it. Now the 4Runner on the other hand, that front end is what should have ended up on the Tacoma.

I had a 4th Gen 4Runner before I got back into Jeeps. Just never fell in love with it. Wanted a 3rd Gen, but I'm just to tall to comfortably fit in one.

I had a 4th Gen 4Runner before I got back into Jeeps. Just never fell in love with it. Wanted a 3rd Gen, but I'm just to tall to comfortably fit in one.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't own a 4Runner over a Jeep by any means. I just like the look of this front end:

34_tires_5th_gen_4runner_front_end_court-1.jpg

I've owned 2 2nd Gens - 2005 & 2013, which is my current truck, bought new in 2013. Neither truck has given me any issues. The 2005 was purchased used, but was without issue. I sold the 2005, then bought the 2013 by email to a dealer, drove there, signed the paperwork, never even test drove it, just drove away happy. Haven't looked back since.

When the 3rd Gens came out, I thought they were hideous. My son-in-law has one now, and it's a great truck. The looks grow on you.

I will never see any rust issues, vehicles don't rust in the southwest.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, personally. Of course the early models of each (as with all vehicles in their first model year) had some issues, but again, you only hear about the issues, not from the people like me who have driven theirs for five years and only put in gas and oil, and rotated the tires.

But I'm glad we've derailed the thread here with our opinions on front ends. That's what I call productive.