Check engine light comes on when I insert a 40 amp into the access 1 fuse slot

lyeli

Hey everyone,

My first time posting onto this website.

This is my first time owning a jeep tj (third owner), so I'm new to diagnosing the issues and fixing one up. My jeep is a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon that has 70k miles on it. When I got the jeep, the windshield wipers and wiper fluids weren't working. The original owner stated that they were working when he drove the car and that he recently replaced the switches. Now, I did do some research and found out it wasn't the wiper motor that was broken nor was it my switches. I also replaced the "FRT Wiper" fuse under the glove box and it still wasn't working.

I stumbled upon another forum where the same person had this issue and he/she resolved it by putting a 40 amp fuse inside the "access 1" fuse slot under the hood. I did the same thing, and the wipers actually worked.

Now I have two concerning questions:

1. I know that "access 1" stands for accessory slot, however, is it okay for me to just add a 40 amp fuse inside that slot for a very long time? This brings me to my next concern of why I asked that.

2. The same day I added that 40 amp fuse inside the "access 1" fuse slot, my check engine light came on. Now, I do know how to fix it if it was my gas cap, but that wasn't the case. I ran the diagnosis & the code read "bUS b0 PAnEL oPEn" (Not sure what this means).

The previous owner, and I'm sure many other jeep owners have this problem, mentioned that the check engine light will pop up from time to time. So, he told me to just disconnect/reconnect the battery and it should go away. I've done this, but after a couple of start ups, the check engine light came back on. I was thinking it was relating to that 40 amp fuse. I tested this by removing the 40 amp fuse -> restarting the battery to make the CEL disappear -> and after driving for a couple of days, the CEL never came back on.

Therefore, either it was just a coincident that the CEL randomly came on at the moment I inserted the 40 amp fuse into the "access 1" fuse slot, OR the 40 amp fuse made the CEL came on.

All the help is greatly appreciated!

Is that accessory fuse even wired up? My understanding is that it's not even wired, and it's just an empty fuse slot incase you wanted to add some sort of auxiliary item and add the wiring yourself going to the fuse box. Is that wrong?

I'm not an electrical guy, so this doesn't make much sense to me. Are you actually getting error codes when you scan it with an OBDII scanner? You know, something like P0144 or something?

Is that accessory fuse even wired up? My understanding is that it's not even wired, and it's just an empty fuse slot incase you wanted to add some sort of auxiliary item and add the wiring yourself going to the fuse box. Is that wrong?

I'm not an electrical guy, so this doesn't make much sense to me. Are you actually getting error codes when you scan it with an OBDII scanner? You know, something like P0144 or something?
There was nothing inside that accessory fuse to begin with, but when I added a 40 amp fuse to that slot, the wiper motor started working. So it is wired, but I wonder if it caused the CEL to come on. I do not own an OBD 2 Scanner, so I'm not sure what code will pop up. I am currently looking into one right now, but don't know if I should buy a bluetooth one or non-bluetooth.

I ran the diagnosis & the code read "bUS b0 PAnEL oPEn" (Not sure what this means).

Those codes are not the Check Engine codes, those are the Instrument Cluster codes, looks like you ran the Instrument Cluster test, did the gauges sweep and some lights cycle? If so that is the test you ran and here is what the codes mean:

You can run by Autozone and they can read the OBDII codes for you.

As far as the Instrument Cluster codes, you probably just need to clean the two connectors behind the cluster.

There was nothing inside that accessory fuse to begin with, but when I added a 40 amp fuse to that slot, the wiper motor started working. So it is wired, but I wonder if it caused the CEL to come on. I do not own an OBD 2 Scanner, so I'm not sure what code will pop up. I am currently looking into one right now, but don't know if I should buy a bluetooth one or non-bluetooth.

I have a Bluetooth one and it works great! Definitely see what codes it's throwing. That could be very telling.

1. I know that "access 1" stands for accessory slot, however, is it okay for me to just add a 40 amp fuse inside that slot for a very long time?

The 40 amp fuse might be too big. It won't burn out before a wire that measures smaller than 1/8" thick (without insulation) catches on fire. There aren't too may circuits with wires that big on a TJ and I don't know if that's one of them.

I have no idea how to help with the rest.

I would try and trace wire that's wired to Acc slot. Also Panel open code mentions switch problem, (Panel lamp Dimmer) is that one of the switches PO replaced? Check your other fuses again and try starting with a 10 amp fuse in Acc and see if problem continues.

The 40 amp fuse might be too big. It won't burn out before a wire that measures smaller than 1/8" thick (without insulation) catches on fire. There aren't too may circuits with wires that big on a TJ and I don't know if that's one of them.

I have no idea how to help with the rest.

I just happened to find my 2006 Owners manual. It make no mention of the "access 1" fuse slot under the hood.

It does show a list of the underhood fuses and relays. Each one is called a cavity with a number. Cavity 1 uses a 40 Amp Green fuse for the HEVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning system) so you should be good to go, and I admit that there are far more 40 amp circuits than I would have thought possible, seven total, and even one 50 amp circuit.

Reactions: Mikester86