Check engine light on after Jeep got rained on

Zach Wallis

I left the top off overnight while it was raining and in the morning the horn was going off and the airbag light was on. I know the clock spring got wet and I tried taking it out and drying it. Later when I went to drive it it started bucking and it would stall frequently. So the engine light is on and it's throwing a P0121 code. I checked the TPS sensor and it's fine. Any ideas?

It’s still your clockspring. It’s not uncommon for a clockspring issue to create interference with the TPS signal.

I left the top off overnight while it was raining and in the morning the horn was going off and the airbag light was on. I know the clock spring got wet and I tried taking it out and drying it. Later when I went to drive it it started bucking and it would stall frequently. So the engine light is on and it's throwing a P0121 code. I checked the TPS sensor and it's fine. Any ideas?

How often does it rain in Arizona ?

I have to question the clock-spring and TPS relation.

There are two connectors for the clockspring. The yellow one with two pins is for the air bag which has nothing to do with sensors or the PCM. The other 5-pin "off-white" connector has three wires. One wire in cavity 1 is for the horn ground and the other two in cavities 2 and 3 are for cruise control switches in the steering wheel. I can see the two cruise wires maybe doing something as they are part of the sensor network. But my TJ doesn't have cruise. In fact, I've un-pinned those two wires, cut the terminals off, and terminated the wires by sealing the ends with dual-wall heat shrink. Study the electrical schematics in the FSM and you'll see what I mean.

My theory. I think when most of us replace the clock-spring, the battery is disconnected for air bag safety. When the job's done, reconnecting the battery causes the PCM to re-learn. Suddenly, the engine runs better so we automatically think it was the clock-spring. Over time, as in my case, the engine reverts back to it's former symptoms. Mine is back to a lower uneven idle and cranky below 2000 rpm.

Reactions: KCsTJ
It’s still your clockspring. It’s not uncommon for a clockspring issue to create interference with the TPS signal.

Yep, I agree with this.

How often does it rain in Arizona ?

During monsoon season, it rains often, but it comes and goes very, very fast. However, if you've ever seen a tropical rain, that's what it is in Arizona. It pours as hard as you could ever imagine, then 10 minutes later it's clear skies and dry.

Okay I took out the clock spring and TPS and cleaned them with some electric cleaner. It's running fine now and the check engine light is off so hopefully that fixed it.

Reactions: AjRagno