Check engine light, P0344 and P0340

I’m having almost the same issue with my 2005 wrangler x.... replace spark plugs, coil pack, crankshaft and camshaft sensor but will will not start... everyone keeps telling me it’s due related, but I unplugged the camshaft sensor and with a little pat od the accelerator it will start and idle and even has pulling power but still stutters... plug the camshaft sensor back up and will. It start

I went through a similar problem - replaced all the same parts with no joy. I finally replaced the cold air temp sensor and that did the trick. Have you checked for vacuum leaks? That can also cause those codes and problems.

Same odd temperature issue with my 2005 Wrangler throwing a P0344 code. starts and runs fine on warm days, throws a code and goes into limp mode on cold days. I replaced the intake air sensor and the code immediately cleared itself and so far the Jeep now starts on cold days and runs like a champ. Hope this helps!
I’m gonna try that. My cel clears as soon as it warms up. However, the last time it was cold, I shut the engine off after it threw the code and before the engine was warm just to see what it would do. Well, now it won’t start. I’m hearing a clicking sound coming from a the wiring harness behind the glove box. I’m thinking ignition switch or starter is the problem. I’m not convinced it’s related to the P0344 code and the cold temps.

I just wanted to post on here that I ended replacing my Camshaft and still started getting the cel and limp mode when it was cold out. Once the engine warmed up and I turned the Jeep off and restarted, it would go out of limp mode and I could drive normally. I tried all different cam sensors and they all did the same thing. I recently added a washer in between where the sensor bolts to the OPDA. So far this has fixed my issue w/ the p0344 code in cold temps.

FWIW I've had ongoing 0344 issues with the Jeep going into limp mode and needing to be turned off and restarted for it to go out of limp mode. Ended up bring the speedo healer causing it.

Whether its the actual speedo healer unit or the Speedo Healer patch cable I haven't had time to go into. However, with it disconnected the Jeep has driven for months without any issue whatsoever.

Might be something to check if your having these problems and have a speedo healer.

I have a 2006 Wrangler X with the 4.0 (auto), and the same issues:
- Intermittent bucking/surging/limp and P0344, P0340, P0457 & P0456. So far, I've replaced:
  • OPDA (by the dealership. I assume they used an OEM or NAPA cam position sensor and threw out my original one).
  • New (rebuilt) PCM, all four O2 Sensors, Crank sensor, Cam position sensor (yes, again), Intake/charge-air temp sensor (three times!!!), spark plugs, and the catalytic converters (twice).
  • The dealership also removed and tore down the transmission to replace an internal temperature sensor (as part of troubleshooting and trying to fix this exact same problem)!
The PCM change fixed the problem for a few months, but now it's back. :cry:

Per some research I'm going to try cleaning the harness' ground contact on the passenger side of the engine block and look for any signs of harness wear (near the base of the dipstick?). I've also purchased a Crown ODPA, but haven't installed it yet.
  • Update 1: After clearing the PCM codes and cleaning the harness ground contact, the P0340 came back immediately, but no P0344 (yet?). Also tried swapping the cam position sensor again (with the one that came with the Crown OPDA), but no luck.
  • Update 2: After swapping the cam sensor with the one that came with the Crown OPDA, the check-engine light turned off. No more bucking/limp, for a couple weeks now. Not sure if the cam sensor fixed it, or if it just took the PCM a while to stabilize after cleaning the harness ground contact. I'll post again if the light comes back on (fingers crossed).
  • Update 3: It has been a few months, and still no limp mode ... ever!
    • I'm cautiously regarding it as permanently fixed now!
    • Anyone experiencing P0344, P0340, bucking/surging/etc. should definitely remove, clean, and re-tighten the ground wire connection for the primary wiring harness on the passenger side of the engine.
1684936325389.png

Last edited: