Check engine light won't go away

dykes2861

My 2005 TJ CEL has come on several times over the past month. 1st changed O2 sensors, then spark plugs, also used gas treatment and injector cleaner. All were temp fixes. The CEL comes back on within a week. This last time mechanic said no problems and reset, but came back on. Also, unbearable heat is radiating inside cabin more than usual. Any ideas?

Dont know the exact codes. The first time the mechanic said the codes indicated O2 sensors need to be replaced. Second time codes indicated misfire so he checked plugs and replaced. Last time no codes so reset. this time dont know because haven't taken in yet.

Search this forum. I believe TJ's require a specific brand of O2 sensor. Even if yours was recently replaced it may still be the problem.

You can go to any local auto parts store and they will scan the OBD2 for you and tell you the code. They cannot clear the code but at least you can report back to this forum with the code(s).

Reactions: DrDmoney
Dont know the exact codes. The first time the mechanic said the codes indicated O2 sensors need to be replaced. Second time codes indicated misfire so he checked plugs and replaced. Last time no codes so reset. this time dont know because haven't taken in yet.
He said I may have gotten some bad gas so use fuel/injector cleaner

Make sure you have ntk o2 sensors and autolite app985 double platinum plugs. Our jeeps only run well on certain plugs and shops unless jeep specific, tend to run whatever the hell they are familiar with. These are not the AMC 4.2 motors of yester year.

I’m not sure if your year has it or not, but if you turn the key off and off three times fast, I’ll get the codes scrolling where my odometer is. It will flash done when complete.

I’m not sure if your year has it or not, but if you turn the key off and off three times fast, I’ll get the codes scrolling where my odometer is. It will flash done when complete.

I have a dumb emissions leak somewhere; that's not a priority, so I use this trick a lot to make sure nothing else is going on. I really dont understand why this isn't a common option.

Beautiful bmw 6 series convertible at work threw a CEL, no one knew why since hotels dont keep OBII scanners, and no BMW dealerships anywhere near us. Hell I think the closest of any dealership is at least 40 minutes away. How nice would it be if the computer would just show the code and the owner could go oh my gas cap isn't tight no big deal. Or, my engines about to explode I shouldn't drive this.

My 2005 TJ CEL has come on several times over the past month. 1st changed O2 sensors, then spark plugs, also used gas treatment and injector cleaner. All were temp fixes. The CEL comes back on within a week. This last time mechanic said no problems and reset, but came back on. Also, unbearable heat is radiating inside cabin more than usual. Any ideas?
that radiating heat you speak of if you feel it by your feet then check the boot around the steering shaft it could have slid up, causing all the heat from the engine bay get into the cabin

Attachments

• 2008-09-22_175142_TSB_18-028-06.pdf
    126.6 KB · Views: 602
Reactions: Daryl and DrDmoney
keep your fingers crossed. a cam shaft position sensor malfunction is usually a different code. have you confirmed the brand of O2 sensor that your was replaced with?

How’s everything going on your end, mate ? Camshaft position sensor is usually p0340 or p0344(I believe). And this is an issue I’m dealing with incessantly because OEM camshaft sensors are discontinued and the after party sensors or trash. My car functions like crap because of this, will likely have to sell it