Check gauges light came on

Echo5

Supporting Member
So I had to make a short trip (~7 miles on-way) and about 1/3 of the trip I hear the alert tone sound. My immediate thought was that my fuel level wasn't that low but when my eyes dropped to the dash I saw the Check Gages light illuminated.

In 20 plus years of driving I have never seen this light come on in any of my vehicles. CEL, yep. But never this.

So I started looking at the gauges. Everything looked fine. No spikes in readings, nothing out of the ordinary. I was confused. My driving was not outside the norm nor were the conditions. I decided to keep going - if a gauge wasn't properly reporting the actual reading then I wouldn't figure it out stopped on the side of the road.

Then I came to my first stop light and the light went out. It came back on a little after I started driving again. I made my destination with no issues.

When I left I noticed that the tripmeter had reset to zero miles. No Check Gauges light came on during the return journey.

I just took it out again for a 20 mile round trip run with no issues at all.

So, was this a fluke or something that may indicate a problem that is slowly brewing?

Could have just been a fluke, for sure. I'd still check it for codes.

I'd also continue to drive it around. If there is an issue, a code will be thrown. If not, it won't come back. I've had flukes like this happen to me before as well.

Reactions: Echo5
Also check that the connections to the battery are tight.

I had this issue once where the terminals were loose when the engine was cool, but tightened up as the motor warmed up.

Took a little while to catch on to what was going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Echo5
Thanks guys! I'll keep an eye on it and see if codes get thrown if it happens again. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a "oh, that's a sure sign your whatchamacallit is about to nuke itself" situation.