Choosing an Infotainment System for a TJ

Great thread! So, if we are going most bang for the buck without breaking the bank. Are we saying eincar? Also, are there any open source options out there? I'd love to have a head unit that I can eventually get into and tinker with? Maybe add additional features. Run some servos, arduino, etc. Any thoughts or am I asking too much?

if we are going most bang for the buck without breaking the bank. Are we saying eincar?
Good question and I have no idea about which is the best brand but id like to know, I'm trying to work out what vendor makes the best system with an 8 to 10'1" screen, or rather which one has the least glitches as none of them will be free from issue of some nature, it just comes with the technology territory I guess.

Funny how the All New JLR comes with an 8.4" display and the pore old JL Sport only gets a weenie 7.0” Display but the technology is moving so fast that I can fit a 10.1" screen to my old TJ. And then you need to ask the question, how big is too big?

Also, are there any open source options out there? I'd love to have a head unit that I can eventually get into and tinker with? Maybe add additional features. Run some servos, arduino, etc. Any thoughts or am I asking too much?
I don't see why not. You can get a copy of Microsoft Windows CE evaluation OS without too much difficulty - runs on a minimum 933 MHz CPU and 512 MB of RAM.

Good question and I have no idea about which is the best brand but id like to know, I'm trying to work out what vendor makes the best system with an 8 to 10'1" screen, or rather which one has the least glitches as none of them will be free from issue of some nature, it just comes with the technology territory I guess.

Funny how the All New JLR comes with an 8.4" display and the pore old JL Sport only gets a weenie 7.0” Display but the technology is moving so fast that I can fit a 10.1" screen to my old TJ. And then you need to ask the question, how big is too big?

I don't see why not. You can get a copy of Microsoft Windows CE evaluation OS without too much difficulty - runs on a minimum 933 MHz CPU and 512 MB of RAM.

Eincar sells Windows CE models as well.

The thing I like about Eincar is they are like buying straight from the factory or at least the wholesaler. There customer service is really good. If lacking in English. When I messed up my first one. They offered to fix it for free. Big language barrier but very nice people. I just made my emails to them as simple as possible.

If your going for 10" though. I'd think a tablet would be the way to go. Lot's of threads around here on that.

Reactions: Wombat
I wonder if there is a way to just hack a tablet and create a custom mount.

I saw this a while back while researching this idea myself. It seems pretty simple. I was thinking about doing it because it'd be easy to toss a tablet in the lock box when parked.

Last edited: