Cigarette lighter outlet can't charge a phone

Nicelil97

I have a bone stock '97 Sahara and I have a problem with charging a phone from the cigarette lighter, it just won't charge. The lighter works fine and I've tried different chargers and different cords as well as different phones. I haven't messed with any of the wiring and the car battery is new, I don't know what the issue is. Any thoughts? Much appreciated.

My chargers don't work where the cigarette lighter goes unless I wiggle it around then hold it in place the whole time I need it working but they work fine in the power outlet right beside it. I only know this because I tried to charge two phones at the same time.

Strange as it sounds the lighter works fine where it belongs but doesn't work at all in the power outlet no mater what I try. I don't smoke so I don't need it, I just leave it there to block that spot.

Both are factory installed:
IMG_20191210_083832069.jpg

FWIW, I may never take another picture of the inside of my Jeep. I would have sworn that it was clean in there.

FWIW, I may never take another picture of the inside of my Jeep. I would have sworn that it was clean in there.
I had to laugh at this. This is the same thing that happened to me. I detailed the inside after a got the Jeep, then of course abut every third wash it gets cleaned. Took a pic to share something on the dash and Yuck, it was dirty. LOL Couldn't see the mess at the angle I sit in the Jeep and clean, but it was there. :D

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
My ‘02 Tj cigar lighter wouldn’t work with a cheap plug in usb charger so I replaced it with a wired in unit. Wasn’t hard but it doesn’t get power there unless the engine is running. Guess it could be wired differently but it’s not worth the trouble...and it tells me my voltage.

A64EB51C-AEE7-4F77-A9A6-51B48562389E.png

Last edited:
I totally agree to try a charger that has a different shape to fit the socket hole, some are deeper than others, both sockets and chargers..

Then if you feel it is connected but not having enough charging capability, have you tried engine running vs not? There is a little voltage difference. There will be a slight voltage drop in the wiring, battery to the fuse, fuse to the outlet, etc. but that small of a resistance but should not be a big factor with you not drawing a large amount of current. How about trying the tip of your usb charger plug in on the + side of your battery with a small jumper wire from the - side of the battery to the "ground" side connection. That would remove any wiring problem. Then you can go from there.

I have chargers that are about 20% effective on 12V in my car as the ones I have in my house AC powered.

Take the guesswork out and use a multimeter. Using that fairly inexpensive tool (<15$) you can determine a lot about the socket (and all the other circuits in your rig). Test the voltage to know what’s coming through as a baseline (some devices may expect a different voltage and consequently not charge or just drain slower).

Reactions: UglyDuck
it is most likely your charging cable/male socket that is the culprit. I have had the same issues in other vehicles. The cheap chinese chargers are the worst.

My ‘02 Tj cigar lighter wouldn’t work with a cheap plug in usb charger so I replaced it with a wired in unit. Wasn’t hard but it doesn’t get power there unless the engine is running. Guess it could be wired differently but it’s not worth the trouble...and it tells me my voltage.

View attachment 128700
Thank you for your experience. I am going with that solution, I'll let you know how it works. Thanks

Thank you for your experience. I am going with that solution, I'll let you know how it works. Thanks
So I replaced the lighter with a Quick Charge 3.0. The voltmeter works but it won't charge an iPhone 7.0. I've ordered a new one but I'm dubious. I wonder if the QC won't work on iPhones?

I am having a similar issue, I have an 04 Rubicon and the outlet marked with the battery icon only has 5V on it. I opened the panel to check the wiring and I got 8V reading off the back of the plug. not sure what fuse to check. I checked the fuses behind the glove box and one for the cig lighter was gone. I put a new fuse in and nothing changed, I checked the fuses in the box under the hood and they all look good. did I overlook something?

The older jeeps socket like on my 1991 don't have power at the center pin at the bottom of the socket. I plan to replace mine. The "hot" contact is actually on the side ( the part that contacts the coil on the lighter) dumb but old skool. There ya go. I just tested mine with a meter this is the crapoy deal. So a phone charger with a center pin won't touch the hot lead ever.

I am having a similar issue, I have an 04 Rubicon and the outlet marked with the battery icon only has 5V on it. I opened the panel to check the wiring and I got 8V reading off the back of the plug. not sure what fuse to check. I checked the fuses behind the glove box and one for the cig lighter was gone. I put a new fuse in and nothing changed, I checked the fuses in the box under the hood and they all look good. did I overlook something?

I have an 05 Willys and having the same issue, replaced both fuses (cigarette+power) and nothing coming out either

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.