Clanking noise coming from transmission or transfer case

Jakeswrangler

I have a 2003 jeep wrangler tj sport and recently it started making a rattling noise it sounds like it's coming from the transfercase or either the transmission

And it only happens when your in 2wd as soon as you pop it it 4 high it goes away

So I took the transfer case out and rebuilt it. Nothing looked to worn only a little nick in the 4wd high selector from the chain hitting it I believe but that's about it. So I through it back in and after driving it for about 10 minutes it will start making that noise again and will go away and come back. I think it sounds worse at 55mph and it will do it at 35mph but not often. Any help will be very appreciated

Hey buddy..make sure we know the type transmission, mileage and any mods. Someone will have ideas.

I have a 2003 jeep wrangler tj sport and recently it started making a rattling noise it sounds like it's coming from the transfercase or either the transmission
And it only happens when your in 2wd as soon as you pop it it 4 high it goes away
So I took the transfer case out and rebuilt it. Nothing looked to worn only a little nick in the 4wd high selector from the chain hitting it I believe but that's about it. So I through it back in and after driving it for about 10 minutes it will start making that noise again and will go away and come back. I think it sounds worse at 55mph and it will do it at 35mph but not often. Any help will be very appreciated

Just one rattling noise?! I would chalk that up to good fortune:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Hopper
Does it happen all the time, or only when the clutch pedal is depressed?

Does it happen all the time, or only when the clutch pedal is depressed?
Yes it happens all the time whether the clutch is in or out and pretty much any gear including neutral so it kind of leads me to think it's something in the drivetrain. It's a very hard noise to describe it's almost like 2 metals hitting each other

Yes it happens all the time whether the clutch is in or out and pretty much any gear including neutral so it kind of leads me to think it's something in the drivetrain. It's a very hard noise to describe it's almost like 2 metals hitting each other
So if you're in N and it's running, you can get under and hear it, correct? Have you used a mechanics stethoscope to listen and locate the actual part that has the rattle?

Sounds like it could be the typical NV3550 transmission noise, which is normal.

It only makes you noise while its moving in neutral so no i cant get under it while its moving and no it's not a normal noise I know that for sure

Ok I have a big update for everyone sorry for the wait but working on this thing has really been getting on my nerves because I just hit a deer with my backup vehicle and now I'm still having problems with my wrangler. All right let's get into it so I decide to pull the transmission off and see if I can find anything worn out or rattle. So while I was in there I decided to do put all new clutch components including flywheel also did the RMS while it was right open and replaced one of the exhaust manifolds since I was under there. Everything I did seemed to go ok no problems. I get it all back together and I'm about to throw the front driveshaft back in and noticed that the front most u joints on the shaft are both shot and sound like metal on metal so I think that is what was making all the clanking and the noise is gone now. So now that I have that out of the way i am now having problems with the RMS or oil pan leaking kind of bad I have tried doing it three time and have had no luck at stopping it any ideas?

That kind of a rattling always makes me think of the transfer case shifter linkage and its propensity to have a bad bushing that will cause it to rattle.

I am normally wrong about rattles. Just got a SYE put in, two days later a hear metal on metal when moving. I thought great SUE install issues. Looked under the Jeep half a dozen times and found my heat shield is just laying their. The wind would push it against the driveshaft and make the terrible noise. 😂
Everyone always tells me easy stuff 1st, but my brain likes to go straight to the worst thing 1st.

I had a similar noise that I would describe as 2 pieces of metal hitting eachother in motion and it was the CV in the front driveshaft. When I removed the driveshaft and spun the cv by band I could feel binding and heard the noise.

• Wow
Reactions: Jerry Bransford